Groups

Cold water fish tank

My boy wants a fish tank + fish for his birthday. Looking at getting a tank that holds upto 70L of water. Any recomendations of what fish and how many to get?

Thanks

15 Comments

A reputable place would tell you which are the easiest to look after and how many fish per litre you could have.

I wouldn't recommend Goldfish as they are the dirtiest fish and will require the tank to be cleaned out more often. We got some Danios which are quite nice and some minnows, but as others have said a local fish shop will be willing to advise you on what you can put in and how to do it. I wouldn't bother with the big stores as they often will give conflicting advice.

Build up a nice relationship with a small fish shop and you will get plenty of free advice and tips on how to look after both the fish and the tank.

Edit: The tank will need to be set up at least a week before any fish can be introduced, so if you son wants the fish on his birthday, you should look at getting the tank a couple of weeks before.

You will have to let the tank settle for some time before you can stock it with fish. All this information will be in a decent aquatics store. Most places have small leaflets they hand out with all the info needed.

I would recommed spending £20 on a heater and getting some nice little tropical fish
    Once you have a heater its just as easy to care for the fish as cold water ones

KazzyD;6327814

I wouldn't recommend Goldfish as they are the dirtiest fish and will … I wouldn't recommend Goldfish as they are the dirtiest fish and will require the tank to be cleaned out more often. We got some Danios which are quite nice and some minnows, but as others have said a local fish shop will be willing to advise you on what you can put in and how to do it. I wouldn't bother with the big stores as they often will give conflicting advice.Build up a nice relationship with a small fish shop and you will get plenty of free advice and tips on how to look after both the fish and the tank.Edit: The tank will need to be set up at least a week before any fish can be introduced, so if you son wants the fish on his birthday, you should look at getting the tank a couple of weeks before.

Good advice and am i right that cold water fish are easier to maintain?

DAMNOME;6327847

I would recommed spending £20 on a heater and getting some nice little … I would recommed spending £20 on a heater and getting some nice little tropical fishOnce you have a heater its just as easy to care for the fish as cold water ones

Really? i want a fish tank but with tropical fish and was put off by thinking they were more time consuming.

queenlush;6327849

Good advice and am i right that cold water fish are easier to maintain?

No, Tropical fish are much easier than cold water (we have both), we find that the cold water fish need more cleaning and it takes longer to get the water balance right.

Plus there are some lovely colourful tropical fish (stick to one sex cos you don't want babies) males are the most colourful. We only have Guppies, Tetras and 1 Gurami in our tropical tank but it still looks lovely.

queenlush;6327865

Really? i want a fish tank but with tropical fish and was put off by … Really? i want a fish tank but with tropical fish and was put off by thinking they were more time consuming.

Its marine fish that are time consuming. From coldwater to tropical not a great deal of difference apart from the price of a heater. If you want to breed fish then things can get tricky, time consuming and pricey.

I started with Goldfish and agree with KazzyD - they are dirty and I think the cold water is harder to keep clean because I took the plunge and bought a heater and a good filter and now have some really nice tropical fish.

So long as you change about 10-15% of the water every week or so and clean the filter once a month they look after themselves... just don't OVER feed them and give them some lettuce or cucumber now and again.

they are no more work than goldfish and probably easier...

Don't put too many fish in at once - be patient and when you want to add a new fish wait.. it's worth taking your time

All fish take some time to maintain but I wouldn't say that trops take more time than cold water. Also it depends what budget you have Juwel make a 60 and 70 litre tank which includes the filter and heater. As a couple of people have suggested get some advice from a couple of different aquatic shops, if you have them local

I did

DAMNOME;6327910

I started with Goldfish and agree with KazzyD - they are dirty and I … I started with Goldfish and agree with KazzyD - they are dirty and I think the cold water is harder to keep clean because I took the plunge and bought a heater [COLOR="Red"]and a good filter [/COLOR]and now have some really nice tropical fish.

KazzyD;6327902

No, Tropical fish are much easier than cold water (we have both), we find … No, Tropical fish are much easier than cold water (we have both), we find that the cold water fish need more cleaning and it takes longer to get the water balance right.Plus there are some lovely colourful tropical fish (stick to one sex cos you don't want babies) males are the most colourful. We only have Guppies, Tetras and 1 Gurami in our tropical tank but it still looks lovely.

Staroffurby;6327908

Its marine fish that are time consuming. From coldwater to tropical not a … Its marine fish that are time consuming. From coldwater to tropical not a great deal of difference apart from the price of a heater. If you want to breed fish then things can get tricky, time consuming and pricey.

Thanks guys xxx

My hubs is selling his on ebay, as weve not upgraded. Nice tank too. lol but collection only! hahah
    anyway as someone mentioned, if you go to a GOOD shop they will advice you on this.Also go to
    [url]www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk[/url]

my hubs says they have been fab help to him.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/gallery/660093.jpg

this is the one we have upgraded to. Looks lovely.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Looking at a tank on ebay with a heater so maybe go for tropical fish now.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What to do?????23
      2. Virgin Media Superhub 3 Settings55
      3. Good Sim only deals??611
      4. Teenage son new phone (1250 budget)1424

See more discussions