collapsed drain prices

Found 1st Mar 2015
can anyone give me a ballpark figure to repair a suspected collapsed drain under my driveway :-(

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

12 Comments

easy and inexpensive job if your prepared to do the donkey work. most of the cost is digging and reinstating old drive. why pay plumber to dig. sometimes the water board will do it for nothing even if its on your property. also might be worth checking insurance.

Original Poster

edwardmarks

easy and inexpensive job if your prepared to do the donkey work. most of … easy and inexpensive job if your prepared to do the donkey work. most of the cost is digging and reinstating old drive. why pay plumber to dig. sometimes the water board will do it for nothing even if its on your property. also might be worth checking insurance.

Thanks for that I have thought about the insurance I will check it out, but I don't ST will do it for nothing.

Give water board a try first mate they fixed a leak and unblocked my drains last year at no cost to me.

The law changed a couple of years ago forcing the water companies to fix anything even on private properties if it is used by more than just you.

So if it is the pipe from your house to the main drain they won't do anything. However if it is the main drain which other houses waste goes into as well then they are responsible and they will come out and repair and reinstate the drive to it's current condition.

The main drain runs down our drive and it blocked and overflowed, we called them and they came within 24 hours gave it a bit of a rodding and left, a week later it overflowed again. They came late at night sucked it all out, then sent cameras down and did whatever they needed to. They said it shouldn't block again - and so far it hasn't.

All was done free and when the next bill came it had a £125 deduction as way of compensation.

Original Poster

nbuuifx

The law changed a couple of years ago forcing the water companies to fix … The law changed a couple of years ago forcing the water companies to fix anything even on private properties if it is used by more than just you.So if it is the pipe from your house to the main drain they won't do anything. However if it is the main drain which other houses waste goes into as well then they are responsible and they will come out and repair and reinstate the drive to it's current condition.The main drain runs down our drive and it blocked and overflowed, we called them and they came within 24 hours gave it a bit of a rodding and left, a week later it overflowed again. They came late at night sucked it all out, then sent cameras down and did whatever they needed to. They said it shouldn't block again - and so far it hasn't.All was done free and when the next bill came it had a £125 deduction as way of compensation.

cheers unfortunately the drain only serves our house and goes directly into the main drain.

This is a fantastic site, put together by very worn out builder
http://www.buildingsheriff.com.

Lots of really good tips and entertaining views on other Tradesmen !!
http://www.buildingsheriff.com/plumbers.html

Hope this helps

My wife dug down and did ours but it was only under a gravel drive.

Original Poster

pat915m

My wife dug down and did ours but it was only under a gravel drive.

this is concrete but if your wife is interested she's welcome to come round ;-)

Are you supplied by STW? Might be worth ringing and mentioning the problem and if they can do anything about it. I think it may be their responsibility now under PDAS (private drains and sewers).

Original Poster

Hi yes it's STW I've been on their website but reading it it's my responsibility.

furbars

Hi yes it's STW I've been on their website but reading it it's my … Hi yes it's STW I've been on their website but reading it it's my responsibility.

Ok, I would advise you ring them and speak to them. Although what they say on the website might be correct they might be more helpful over the phone and offer help or a better alternative.

Original Poster

Steve Mac

Ok, I would advise you ring them and speak to them. Although what they … Ok, I would advise you ring them and speak to them. Although what they say on the website might be correct they might be more helpful over the phone and offer help or a better alternative.

thanks for that I just may do it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants