Colleague off sick?

Posted 3rd Nov
So if a work colleague is off sick with depression/shoulder pain/high sugar but is then playing a gig for his band? How would this be viewed?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Perhaps playing music in a band would actually be a very helpful positive thing for someone that was suffering with depression. I don't know exactly what your mean by "high sugar" but again taking time out to do something enjoyable could be beneficial. They might even have had it recommended to them by a mental health professional in terms of going out in to familiar surroundings or challenging themselves to do something that they enjoy as part of therapy for depression or other condition. Seeing as you don't know all the facts then maybe it isn't anything for you to be concerned with.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 3rd Nov
RedAsTehFire03/11/2019 04:38

if they are clearly able to get to play/attend a gig then they are fit to …if they are clearly able to get to play/attend a gig then they are fit to work

Possibly not if the employment is the root cause of the depression (employer has duty of care to employee etc), then any other health physical issues would be incidental.
If you're off work sick with depression, you're still allowed to lead a normal life. Like go on holidays, have fun, enjoy nights out. How else are you supposed to battle depression if you don't try and beat it. The work can't fire you for doing anything while off. If its physical pain then that's different. So don't guess or speculate what's wrong with your work colleague if you don't know entirely everything.
If you're not management it's none of your business.
34 Comments
It's called takin da wee wee
if they are clearly able to get to play/attend a gig then they are fit to work
RedAsTehFire03/11/2019 04:38

if they are clearly able to get to play/attend a gig then they are fit to …if they are clearly able to get to play/attend a gig then they are fit to work

Possibly not if the employment is the root cause of the depression (employer has duty of care to employee etc), then any other health physical issues would be incidental.
They deserve a break but you can always report them and get them sacked
There was a colleague off sick with back pain where I work. They were then pictured all over Facebook on a hen party in Ibiza at the same time with a few others from work. So everyone saw the photos at work.

General opinion in work seemed to be utter shock that they not only had the balls to go to Ibiza while off sick they then plastered it all over Facebook too. People asked each other if it allowed and so on. Certainly got tongues wagging

Now I wouldn’t expect because someone is off sick from work they should remain at home 24/7 but I did feel if they had buggered off to Ibiza to keep it to themselves.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 3rd Nov
50/50.

It sounds like taking the mick out of the employer, however, if there is depression involved, sometimes people want to try and be in a normal surrounding to try and improve their wellbeing.

I am thinking of an example, I believe a women who was sick with similar attended a sports event, was seen by employees, they reported her, the work place dismissed her (iirc) and she went on to commit suicide IIRC. Think the situation was mis-handled as well possibly.
Depression is one thing, pain in shoulder would actually prevent them from playing in their band. If they have been off a while it could be that they are building up to coming back and trying to do little bits. I’d stay out of it and leave it up to the bosses. People do strange things when they are depressed and you wouldn’t want to live with being the cause of them trying to harm themselves or others as a result of them being called into the office for a meeting
If they regularly do this, then report them if you feel but if it's just one time then let it slideee
If they get paid while being off on the sick then they will milk it. I’m working with a trapped nerve in my neck cause I don’t get payed if off sick. If all employers reduced wages if your of sick it would reduce the snowflakes who milk the system
Perhaps playing music in a band would actually be a very helpful positive thing for someone that was suffering with depression. I don't know exactly what your mean by "high sugar" but again taking time out to do something enjoyable could be beneficial. They might even have had it recommended to them by a mental health professional in terms of going out in to familiar surroundings or challenging themselves to do something that they enjoy as part of therapy for depression or other condition. Seeing as you don't know all the facts then maybe it isn't anything for you to be concerned with.
loopylloyd03/11/2019 05:50

50/50.It sounds like taking the mick out of the employer, however, if …50/50.It sounds like taking the mick out of the employer, however, if there is depression involved, sometimes people want to try and be in a normal surrounding to try and improve their wellbeing.I am thinking of an example, I believe a women who was sick with similar attended a sports event, was seen by employees, they reported her, the work place dismissed her (iirc) and she went on to commit suicide IIRC. Think the situation was mis-handled as well possibly.

Wow. How awful that to happen R.I.P.
jco8303/11/2019 08:36

Wow. How awful that to happen R.I.P.

I was trying to find the write up but can’t find it.

When it comes to depression, you have to be extremely careful as rash decisions can lead to extreme consequences by those suffering.
loopylloyd03/11/2019 08:39

I was trying to find the write up but can’t find it.When it comes to d …I was trying to find the write up but can’t find it.When it comes to depression, you have to be extremely careful as rash decisions can lead to extreme consequences by those suffering.

Without doubt. Depression is a crisis state
If you're off work sick with depression, you're still allowed to lead a normal life. Like go on holidays, have fun, enjoy nights out. How else are you supposed to battle depression if you don't try and beat it. The work can't fire you for doing anything while off. If its physical pain then that's different. So don't guess or speculate what's wrong with your work colleague if you don't know entirely everything.
Haircut_10003/11/2019 08:17

Perhaps playing music in a band would actually be a very helpful positive …Perhaps playing music in a band would actually be a very helpful positive thing for someone that was suffering with depression. I don't know exactly what your mean by "high sugar" but again taking time out to do something enjoyable could be beneficial. They might even have had it recommended to them by a mental health professional in terms of going out in to familiar surroundings or challenging themselves to do something that they enjoy as part of therapy for depression or other condition. Seeing as you don't know all the facts then maybe it isn't anything for you to be concerned with.

Finally the right answer.
If you're not management it's none of your business.
High sugar is he Diabetic?
Depends on whether I was expected to cover for the person who was off "sick".
If I was, and my workload increased as a result, then yes I would be annoyed.
If not, then it wouldn't bother me.
classic case of not appreciating the effects of mental illness rather than physical.
Music might be helping him, mental illness are so complex it’s tough to figure out what is going in someone’s head.

They might be lying but you never know but you will sure know in time. For now you have to be sensitive and supportive.
Just imagine your college's face, if they walked out onto the stage and your boss was in the front row of the audience
As the band starts playing your boss takes off their jacket, to reveal an Alan Sugar "You're Fired" T Shirt
What do you expect someone with depression to do? sit in the house all day?

Are they self cert or have they been signed off by a Doctor? if it's the later, I wouldn't express your views at work, especially if your place of work has a competent HR department.
From the bar .. pint in hand
I suppose the real question is: How do YOU see it, MakeItHotinHere? There are always two answers to these type of questions.

A1) This person has a genuine issue. Doesn't usually take advantage of situations and is trying to make the best of what they can out of it. Perhaps this is a brief 'window' in an otherwise dark, painful period in their life.

A2) This person is "Swinging a dead leg" and usually tries anything they can to do what they can, when they can and takes advantage of others kindness/sympathy.

I think we've ALL known both types. Over the years, I have worked with some real 'jokers' who try everything in the book to take advantage. Every excuse under the sun to avoid certain situations and make others carry the load. What is your personal impression of this person? Are they the one who constantly takes sick leave, always has 'issues' when something difficult turns up and typically moans about others when THEY can't take advantage? Or do you feel empathy for their current situation and feel that 'others' may think badly of them if they learn of their activities?

Everyone will view it differently, without a deeper understanding. You, me, Tom, Dick and Harry will all see it from a different angle. Who do YOU think will view this? Will you be making it general knowledge that person "X" was "Gigging it up when they're supposed to be off sick!" or do you think it will get out via other channels? You don't really say who the 'viewer' is? We are surmising that you mean the persons employer. For all we know - that could be YOU and you're wondering how to deal with it.

I do hope you return to the thread to perhaps explain a bit further what your position is in this. Also, how you; personally; perceive this individual's actions. Again, for all we know - you ARE this person and you're wondering if YOU should be doing this?

Whatever your involvement, don't forget: If you've ever suffered with depression yourself, it's a game of up's and downs. If something can keep your mood on an 'up' irrespective of any physical pain you may be experiencing, it's worth doing.

Thanks for posting an interesting question.

All the best, Phsy.
What are they off sick with, as you don’t actually know you can’t really answer the question
i would personally think they were skiving as they would have supposedly be too ill to come into work. but the company's managers will be able to assess the situation better as they would have been trained in this line of assessment. as others have commented that depression may be considered differently as his playing music with his band may be considered therapeutic rather than work.
Thanks for many useful comments guys.

This colleague has been consistently off sick for many periods over the last 2/3 years HOWEVER has still managed to consistently play in paid gigs in a band over that same period EVEN when off sick.

I'm not fully certain why are off sick but suspect it is potentially - stress/depression + type 2 diabetes
MakeItHotinHere03/11/2019 15:57

Thanks for many useful comments guys.This colleague has been consistently …Thanks for many useful comments guys.This colleague has been consistently off sick for many periods over the last 2/3 years HOWEVER has still managed to consistently play in paid gigs in a band over that same period EVEN when off sick.I'm not fully certain why are off sick but suspect it is potentially - stress/depression + type 2 diabetes

In your original comment you state why your work colleague is off sick, then you contradict yourself with your last comment saying you are not sure, but suspect...

If you don't know them personally outside of work, don't know enough about their background and if it doesn't diectly affect you at work, why get involved?

You may not like it if you think they are taking the p**s but people every day in all walks of life will push boundaries for their own self gain.

If they are producing sicklines from their GP I would stay well clear of the situation. Don't get involved.

Thanks for many useful comments guys.This colleague has been consistently …Thanks for many useful comments guys.This colleague has been consistently off sick for many periods over the last 2/3 years HOWEVER has still managed to consistently play in paid gigs in a band over that same period EVEN when off sick.I'm not fully certain why are off sick but suspect it is potentially - stress/depression + type 2 diabetes

You seem to have quite a lack of understanding of what depression or perhaps other mental health conditions actually are. I don't know exactly what line of work you and your colleague are in but it's perfectly reasonable that someone might be off work with depression and stress which can be triggered by conditions at work. It's also perfectly possible that someone might be signed off sick from work by their GP due to stress but at the same time be encouraged by their GP to healthily pursue hobbies and interests rather than sitting at home all day in your pyjamas with the curtains closed, which is something you might feel like doing when suffering with stress or depression. It's perfectly possible that someone might be suffering from chronic pain but their physiotherapist has asked them, as part of their rehabilitation, to spend a little time each week practicing a physical hobby, such as playing the guitar, in conjuction with exercise and medication and then report back the next week of how they felt. In short there are many, many things that are perfectly feasible, yet you seem to shock both a lack of understanding and a lack of sympathy. I'm sure that HR knows what the situation is regarding this person and their current situation with regards to being signed off work because it is their job to be concerned with it, not yours.

I think it’s best to stay out of the situation if you don’t know why the person is off sick or their situation.

You stated 3 possible conditions but don’t know what the reason is they are off sick.

Any one of those conditions could explain numerous periods of sickness.

There is a huge difference between working a 37 hour week and a 2 to 3 hour gig.

Perhaps you should have a chat with said colleague and see how they are doing and coping when you see them.
@MakeItHotinHere

As you can see, you will get many answers from both sides of the fence. There are always two sides to every story but of course, we can only see yours. You haven't openly said yet which side you lie on but from your latest post, it does suggest (and only suggest I hasten to add) that you perhaps feel aggrieved that this person is "getting away" with something?

I won't spin the same record, as others have already put it better than I but depression is definitely a cruel master. It affects people in such a diverse way. Some curl into a ball - others can seem perfectly fine. This however can be just a mask. Without meeting your colleague, I'll never know. This however comes back to my A1 & A2 post.

I worked for a Manager who flatly refused to accept depression is real. He openly stated that there was no such thing as depression and it was just people "having a bad day" and "We all have those!" He said it was an excuse for people to get time off with no real 'provable' symptoms and he greatly frowned upon it. Needless to say, this angered many.

The thing is, whilst I don't share his viewpoint personally he was partially correct. There are those that sadly DO use such a thing to their advantage. Do you feel this 'colleague' is one of those? Does their constant time off negatively affect your work because of it or is it simply a case of "I don't do it, so they shouldn't do it either." ?

I have seen both A1 & A2 types over the years. One A1 sadly took his own life - seemingly very happy too and had an active lifestyle. Very bubbly personality and a loving girlfriend. One day there - next day gone. A2 was a very clever, manipulative lady who used every trick she had (and then some) to coast her way through life. As far as I am aware, she no doubt still does it now. Of course, those that don't know her well say "Oh that poor woman." I do have to bite my tongue...

As others have said, if it doesn't affect your day-to-day work then best to keep your feelings to yourself as it can do more harm than good if you share with others how you perceive this persons activity. You could find yourself singled out and that's not nice - especially if this other person is well liked or popular in your workplace. Even more so if they are what I like to call a "Golden child" who can do no wrong in the Management's eyes. The sort who can commit virtual murder and get away with it. You know the type! Is your colleague one of these?

Thanks for coming back to the thread. Perhaps you will give us your view of the situation next time?

All the best, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 4th Nov
You have to go/make it known/whinge ? to your bosses about your increased workload and hope that it is reflected in an increased emolument, which you can spread all over your body.
BUT it doesnt reflect well on you if you are just resentful at someone else .. Karma / work record has a way of coming back on people.
p.s. and that is why you shouldnt have a facebook account
AndyRoyd03/11/2019 04:56

Possibly not if the employment is the root cause of the depression …Possibly not if the employment is the root cause of the depression (employer has duty of care to employee etc), then any other health physical issues would be incidental.

If their job is the cause of their depression, shouldn't they just leave their job and find a new one?
DistortedVision04/11/2019 11:56

If their job is the cause of their depression, shouldn't they just leave …If their job is the cause of their depression, shouldn't they just leave their job and find a new one?

That would be one possible solution, but we don't know the circumstances, and it may be more appropriate for the employer to change working conditions / policies / functions to prevent continuence of issue with same employee or other employee(s) performing same function.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants