Colleagues Neighbour wont let them build scaffolding on the boundary, any advice?

Found 27th Jul 2011
Hi guys, just a quick one here need some help from builders or people who have had trouble from neighbours.

Guy from the work is going to build an extension, has got planning permission and builders able to start. In order for the extension to be built scaffolding must be erected which is on the boundary between the two sets of land, maybe a couple of foot into the neighbours.The neighbour is refusing to allow scaffolding to be built, meaning that the extension must be built from the inside up.

Any advice on how to get the neighbour to allow the scaffolding would be great, cheers guys.

DannyM
Community Updates
MiscExtension Lead
34 Comments
££££'s
be very very nice to them.. that is all you can do.
After all it is their property
It's up to them, it is their property, so if they don't want scaffolding on it then that is the end of it.
or get rid of the problem (_;)
Ask the neighbour what are their concerns for not wanting scaffolding on their land? Is it any potential 'damage' they are worried about or perhaps a safety issue etc.... just see if a nice sit down and chat through can't solve it, with hopefully your colleague being able to give reasonable answers for his neighbour.
Original Poster
davver99

or get rid of the problem (_;)

Reckon this would work out cheaper as its an extra 5k to build from the inside without scaffolding,.

She is retired and is just doing this to be spiteful he seems to think, she already has an extension and is trying to rent the property, what would happen if he did it when she was away?
I could kind of understand it if the neighbour had young kids I.e toddler size which would just try and climb and obviously would put more risk of them playing out this summer holidays.
Also these things take forever to shift too, My Neighbours had their scaffolding up for months and months. Didn't bother us at all.

maybe she is worried the damage it will do to her garden, Do you know if she is Garden proud?

make her an offer she cant refuse mafia style lol
DannyM

what would happen if he did it when she was away?

My guess is probably call the police.
Neighbour doesn't have to do anything as at the end of the day it's their private land that your friend wants to borrow. Maybe a financial inducement with a promise to repair any damage that the scaffolding causes, ie dead grass etc may help but given that some scaffolding just gets left up for months on end I can see some concerns.

In the street behind me there is one house that has had scaffolding up to the guttering for 4 years and nothing has been done in all that time. It's an eye sore.
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 27th Jul 2011
Do not know the details of the build but an extra £5K to build from inside seems a bit steep after all there will not be any extra materials needed just additional labour. 5K is a lot of labour. All you can do is put in writing a time frame for the need to have the scaffolding on her property and that he will reinstate her property to the same condition as it is now (take photographs). Does she need any small jobs doing which could be done in exchange for allowing the scaffolding to be erected on her property. Even if the jobs cost £2K it is still a saving of £3k. If she still says no then tell him to be the neighbour from hell so her tenants leave.
simplyjimbo

In the street behind me there is one house that has had scaffolding up to … In the street behind me there is one house that has had scaffolding up to the guttering for 4 years and nothing has been done in all that time. It's an eye sore.

If you contact the Enforcement Department at the council they should deal with it.
Mod & Ed
She may be worried that lots of rough builder types may wander around her garden half naked, if she is tell her I'll house swap for the duration

What unsociable advice you give. I would then expect the good neighbour to contact the police.

At the end of the day put yourself in their position, if you have a nice garden, kids or anything else that the scaffolding will cause an inconvenience or safety issue with would you want some builders, cowboys or not, to put you out? No I don't think so, so why should they be.

donaldduck2

If she still says no then tell him to be the neighbour from hell so her … If she still says no then tell him to be the neighbour from hell so her tenants leave.

simplyjimbo

In the street behind me there is one house that has had scaffolding up … In the street behind me there is one house that has had scaffolding up to the guttering for 4 years and nothing has been done in all that time. It's an eye sore.

The scaffolding doesn't directly affect me so not a real issue but I am sure the immediate neighbours aren't too happy though.
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 27th Jul 2011
simplyjimbo

What unsociable advice you give. I would then expect the good neighbour … What unsociable advice you give. I would then expect the good neighbour to contact the police. At the end of the day put yourself in their position, if you have a nice garden, kids or anything else that the scaffolding will cause an inconvenience or safety issue with would you want some builders, cowboys or not, to put you out? No I don't think so, so why should they be.The scaffolding doesn't directly affect me so not a real issue but I am sure the immediate neighbours aren't too happy though.

The person having the extension claims the lady is doing it out of spite which is unsociable. When she had her extension did the scaffolding encroach on the persons property who now wishes to do the same. Obviously we do not know all of the details. Doing the work without scaffolding will take longer and probably make it harder for her to rent the house and any safety issues can be addressed by the contractors carrying out the work.
Banned
OP everything in the UK can be resolved with a nice cup of tea

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/files/nice_cup_of_tea_from_the_home_water_cooler_185.jpg

If that fails, threaten to put up a big tree in your garden that will blanket her garden with dirty bird doodoo filled leaves
Edited by: "Adnan786" 27th Jul 2011
not sure or exact rights under party walls act etc but some details here clicky
A wall can be built from the inside you know .. using the technique called overhand bricklaying.

The bricklayer leans over and finishes off the brickwork, from the opposite side.

The result however is never as good as conventional brickwork, but that shouldn't worry your friend .. after all he won't be looking at the wall.

Your friend should tell the 'neighbour from hell' that not granting access is no problem, but he will have to look at a poor wall in the future .. then he might change his mind,

Or tell the bricklayer to threaten to leave the outside of the wall like this
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6408/1000358small.jpg
Edited by: "wbmkk" 27th Jul 2011
Sounds like the neighbour just does not want to be looking at the extension while they are trying to rent their house out which is understandable.

I would get your friend to try and have a chat and address any concerns. -- failing that, if the person is an OAP, try having a chat with any family members who visit. its amazing what progress you can get when chatting with their family members.
wbmkk

A wall can be built from the inside you know .. using the technique … A wall can be built from the inside you know .. using the technique called overhand bricklaying.The bricklayer leans over and finishes off the brickwork, from the opposite side.The result however is never as good as conventional brickwork, but that shouldn't worry your friend .. after all he won't be looking at the wall.Your friend should tell the 'neighbour from hell' that not granting access is no problem, but he will have to look at a poor wall in the future .. then he might change his mind,Or tell the bricklayer to threaten to leave the outside of the wall like this

The wall will not be the problem for the reasons you mention of building it overhand. If the proposed extension has a pitched roof instead of a flat roof then trying to construct the roof, tile it and fit the guttering will be a nightmare of a job. Just have to try and reason with her or maybe if she is very elderly then talk to her children if she has any and ask them to talk to her.
Banned
I thought during building work reasonable access was an obligation if required?
Cant really blame the neighbour can you ?
Offer to put in writing an agreement to pay a daily penalty for any scaffolding that is on her side after an agreed period of time and pay to put the garden back into the original condition.If that doesnt work then your friends fecked oO
guv

I thought during building work reasonable access was an obligation if … I thought during building work reasonable access was an obligation if required?

Some house deeds have clauses that allow for access for maintenance work - but not normally new building work.

This explanatory booklet for the 'party wall act' makes it clear access isn't a right but highlights as others have said it's best to allow so the finish will be better.

I'd try and persuade her with "it'll be quicker and look better with scaffolding" combined with bribery or putting up a sum as a penalty should the scaffolding be standing after a certain time...

Edited by: "wombat6025" 27th Jul 2011
guv

I thought during building work reasonable access was an obligation if … I thought during building work reasonable access was an obligation if required?

correct, its in our deeds/covenant.
I'd be doing the same as the neighbour. You ever seen a clean building site? I haven't.
guv

You have to check if your house is covered and even then unless scaffolding is mentioned she could claim it is unreasonable.
As state earlier, if they won't allow the wall to be built, it will be an eyesore as it can't be pointed.

I don't see how it would cost an extra 5 grand though. How big is it?
wishihadadonkey

She may be worried that lots of rough builder types may wander around her … She may be worried that lots of rough builder types may wander around her garden half naked, if she is tell her I'll house swap for the duration

If you do can I come too?. I could do with a diet coke break
mumbojumbo

I'd agree with the neighbour. It's her property and your work … I'd agree with the neighbour. It's her property and your work colleague's building shouldn't encroach upon the boundary.

The building will not encroach he just needs to have scaffolding erected about 1 metre wide on her property for possibly at most 2 months. As soon as the roof is complete then it can be taken down.
mumbojumbo

Or do what our neighbours did - demolish our fence within our boundary … Or do what our neighbours did - demolish our fence within our boundary without permission and then start building an extension inside our boundary. The neighbour is perfectly within her rights to refuse.

That is outrageous and I hope it got sorted out okay for you.
Dress up as a vicar & go knock round asking for a donation for the church roof. When she goes to get her purse, tamper with the stenna stair left so it can't come back down stairs again & she'll be ****.

Failing that, paint this on the outside of the wall

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4865167347_c38713d79e.jpg
Tell "the guy from work" it's not your problem and that he should find out himself what he needs to do.
5k extra! Sheesh, cowboy springs to mind. (_;)
Is he a mate or just an aquaintance?
Original Poster
thesaint

As state earlier, if they won't allow the wall to be built, it will be an … As state earlier, if they won't allow the wall to be built, it will be an eyesore as it can't be pointed.I don't see how it would cost an extra 5 grand though. How big is it?

Quite a big one, almost a new house onto the house as its two levels

New Born

5k extra! Sheesh, cowboy springs to mind. (_;)Is he a mate or just an … 5k extra! Sheesh, cowboy springs to mind. (_;)Is he a mate or just an aquaintance?

Assistant boss, but pretty much a mate
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants