Groups

Collecting a high value online order, do you check it before you leave the store?

I'm collecting an expensive [to me] monitor on Friday, after ordering online.

Do you check it before you leave?

I've never done it with places such as Argos etc., but if it was damaged without visible box damage how on earth could you prove it?

I will check it, I just wondered what the consensus was.

Cheers.

10 Comments

I've never checked anything when it comes to a store collection

Yes, check the item you are buying is actually the item you collect!

You can only fully inspect the monitor once it is turned on (for dead pixels etc), so would need to be taken home anyway.

I have never checked anything I order and collect. If I decided I didnt want it or there was a fault with it then I would just take it back another time.

yes - always

is it what you ordered / intact / complete ?

EliTom

Always.

End of the day if you return the goods the store will generally go over it with a fine tooth comb,so IMHO it's a two way street.

I picked up 2no Bosch tool bags from Screwfix today after order online. The assistant asked me to sign that i had received the goods before they where even in front of me.

Just my thoughts but always check first.

Original Poster

Thanks all.
    I'm not concerned with pixels, I can prove that.
    It's damage that's not visible without opening the box.
    When it arrives at home you can get on the phone straight away, they can't really say it was damaged whilst being passed over he threshold.
    Driving home with it is a different matter.
    I've read their T&C's bu tthere;'s no mention of returns that are store collected but I guess still come under distance selling rights.

elitom

yes - always is it what you ordered / intact / complete ?EliTom

Ordered yesterday, collecting Friday the 13th.

Oh ****.
    Edited by: "willhay555" 9th Jan

ellie27

I have never checked anything I order and collect. If I decided I didnt … I have never checked anything I order and collect. If I decided I didnt want it or there was a fault with it then I would just take it back another time.

​Yes same here but really I think the guys correct if there's visual damage say screen is cracked they may say you've done it not sure though what would happen probably depends on the person ur dealing with when u go back

I always check click and collect stuff, but mainly because I live 20+ miles to my nearest town and it's a pain to have to do a 40 mile round trip just to return something.

With Monitors each manufacturer has a different policy for Dead, or Stuck pixels, including amount positioning, type, size of panel and quality. Usually this is in the terms and conditions. Whilst you're not dealing directly with manufacturers, the head office for the stores normally draws up the return's policy dependent on their information, warranty, and product itself. Of course this doesn't effect your statutory right. Although one store can be different to another, especially on the classification on whether a monitor is faulty if it has a dead pixel, or two. In truth I'll be surprised that a new monitor or television will have a dead pixel nowadays with the quality control and matured techniques when manufacturing the panels.

Concerning the box. If there is any visible marks, rips, or holes, just refuse the item and ask for a replacement especially if Argos. Unfortunately with heavy electrical goods it would be difficult to examine carefully the item in-store, without a possible risk of damaging or scratching the product as the weight, encumbrance means it takes time to setup a monitor or televisions correctly.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions