Collison

Posted 16th Sep
Myself and my husband were driving down a tight lane in a hired van and we came to s bend where it was particularly tight and met an on coming car. I was about to get out to tell the cars behind to move back as once we were around the bend it was tight but sufficient room to pass.
The lady in the oncoming vehicle continued to try and pass us and said to keep coming there was enough space. We were stationary as she was slowly passing, however she reeved her car to try and mount a verge on the left hand side but skidded and the back of her vehicle bumped into the back of ours.

There was a small scratch to her car but none to our van. A man then walked up from the car behind to ask if everything was ok and walked away again. My husband gave all his details and number, however she only exchanged her number and said that she would send her details through. She and my husband where both quite flustered and there was a build up of traffic on both sides and he left without any pictures or details.

We then got a call from a male on a different number who asked if we could settle privately. My husband said no as it was a hired van and it would have to go through the proper channels. My husband asked if he could speak to the driver as it was a female to get her details and he refused and was aggressive in his tone. He said it was me driving and I have witnessess to prove it.

We then went to the police to report it but they couldn't get involved. Although they did ring and spoke to the female driver who gave the details straight away but the name she gave was a male name (Asian/Indian).

Has anybody has any experience of this or what is best to do?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
This is just my opinion of course, but why didn’t you agree to go private if there was no damage to the van? You will now have an incident linked to yourself (whether it was fault or not) which will impact your own insurance prices. This now has to be declared on your renewal, if not it will cost even more if your insurance company pick it up on the CUE database.

To answer what you can do about the lying of the driver situation, not much. Unless you have proof of who was driving there isn’t anything you can do
16 Comments
This is just my opinion of course, but why didn’t you agree to go private if there was no damage to the van? You will now have an incident linked to yourself (whether it was fault or not) which will impact your own insurance prices. This now has to be declared on your renewal, if not it will cost even more if your insurance company pick it up on the CUE database.

To answer what you can do about the lying of the driver situation, not much. Unless you have proof of who was driving there isn’t anything you can do
Go back to the police - seems likely that the woman was driving without insurance.
What are you claiming for if there is no damage to the van?

I would just let it slide, sounds like the third party would prefer to let it slide too. They could claim you caught their back end too etc so they could potentially find you at fault or 50/50. Also why take a van down such narrow roads anyway.?
.MUFC.16/09/2019 07:47

What are you claiming for if there is no damage to the van?

This. If there was no damage to the van why bother doing anything?
Satan_Claws16/09/2019 08:02

This. If there was no damage to the van why bother doing anything?

Maybe to counter the other partyexpecting OP to pay to fix their car?
If they're lying about who was driving then she almost certainly doesn't have insurance, tell the police and tell the insurance company. There's a pretty good chance she doesn't even have a licence. Nothing may result in it as it's hard to prove these things but it'll at least give her a scare.

Next time you're in an accident, especially one that wasn't your fault, take as many pictures as you can and try to get evidence as to who was driving.
somerandomguy16/09/2019 08:53

Maybe to counter the other partyexpecting OP to pay to fix their car?

It looks more to me like the other party just didn’t want insurance involved. They could see no damage to the van and some scratches on their vehicle. They also may have the issue about the driver in the incident report. They sound like they would’ve offered a bit of cash to just act like it never happened.

There’s no way of proving who was driving, so from a principle point (what the OP seems to be doing) it’s their word against the other parties. If the OP has proof or other witnesses details then they may get caught out. However in the instance either way will impact the OPs insurance prices, when they could’ve just ignored it and settled outside insurance.
Put the kettle on
Did the hire company take your deposit and excess when you returned the van?

If no, whats the problem?

If yes, Why didn't you just ask the guy on the phone to pay this amount?

The driver clearly didn't have any insurance, next time use a dash cam and take their full details there and then.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 16th Sep
mas9916/09/2019 07:46

Go back to the police - seems likely that the woman was driving without …Go back to the police - seems likely that the woman was driving without insurance.

Pointless - the Police do not deal with non injury accidents.

It was the woman driving the other car who caused the collision so I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't see how you could be at fault when you were stationary.
I had a bump a few years ago and the driver said he would pay for the damage to my car as it was his fault and his was much worse than mine. I called later that day to discuss how we'd move forward and he basically told me to get stuffed, apparently his dad told him it was a roundabout accident and it would only ever go 50:50.

Unfortunately for him, I'd worked in insurance before so at the time of the accident I took photos and got witness details (just in case). I took it to my insurer, made a whiplash claim (in fairness I braced for the impact and jarred my shoulders) and also reported the cretin to the Police who popped round for a chat about his driving!! Could have cost him £150, instead I ended up with over £3k.

DON'T TRUST ANYONE!!!
Bigfootpete16/09/2019 13:52

Pointless - the Police do not deal with non injury accidents.It was the …Pointless - the Police do not deal with non injury accidents.It was the woman driving the other car who caused the collision so I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see how you could be at fault when you were stationary.

In absence of witness statements or dashcam footage, they could reverse the situation and say that THEY were stationary?
frakison16/09/2019 14:12

In absence of witness statements or dashcam footage, they could reverse …In absence of witness statements or dashcam footage, they could reverse the situation and say that THEY were stationary?

Then it's her word against - the O.P and her husband - two against one should win.
You all fighting and op to be never be seen again lol
Just to clarify she’s bumped into you and damaged her own vehicle but not your hire van.

Were you concerned she was going to try and claim from you?

When you say they wanted to settle privately what were they asking for? As you stated there was no damage to the van, so you wouldn’t need any money from them and presumably they would just deal with the scratches on there own car as it was there fault why didn’t you accept that as surely you had nothing to lose and now you have declared the accident it will increase your own insurance premiums in future as you must now declare the accident.

I’m not sure why you had to escalate this and go to the police if the hire van wasn’t damaged.

Were they threatening that they wanted money from you or that it was your fault?

I don’t think wanting to settle privately indicated in anyway they didn’t have insurance. It’s not unusual for minor bumps to be settled privately as insurance excess and increased premiums can be far more expensive than just putting the damage right yourself.
Personally I would have hinted that I had a dashcam (I know you didnt but they dont know that) and that it was clearly a female driver in the frame. Dashcams are so cheap these days I dont know why anyone drives without one, they are easy to transfer to a hire vehicle too. Saves any nonsense about who did what and can drastically speed up any claims process.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants