Colour accurate laptop recommendation for photo editing

Posted 3rd Jan
Hi all,

I am looking for some recommendations for a new laptop for one of my family members who does some basic photo editing.

The laptop he currently uses is about an 8 year old 15.5' HP elitebook. As you can imagine, when he edits photos on the laptop and then uploads and views them on his phone (Samsung S10) for example, the colours are way off how he thinks he has edited them on his laptop.

He is looking for a laptop which has a screen with accurate colours. From the information I have gleaned about this topic, he will need a screen that has an srbg % of 100% or above. He does not use Photoshop and instead uses a basic image editor so Photoshop compatibility is not really an issue here. He does not need any gaming capability here either. He would just like an accurate colour screen as a priority.

The budget is up to around £1000 (maybe just over that). Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
camera mags love this
currys.co.uk/gbu….ds
you might find cheaper elsewhere
even currys themselves wink wink - spot the difference (clue - note the processor)
currys.co.uk/gbu….ds
I have the same problem, but have learned to compensate - photos look great on phone/tablet but terrible on laptop and that's after they are processed.
My solution going forward is to get an IPS screen laptop. IPS is the same technology used on phone/tablet screens, so I am hoping the colours will be similar.
If your relative is doing basic editing, then the £1000 budget seems a little overkill to me.
sRGB is the colour standard for computers (and video use the almost identical BT. 709) but photos don't always use it so you want full coverage of the colour gamut that the photos have been taken in, which may be something like Adobe RGB.

Although dealing with wide colour gamuts isn't all that straightforward since support for it is a bit patchy and wide gamut screens will make the colours look too rich in programs that aren't colour aware. If the photos come from mixed sources then you'd also need an image editing program that's colour aware and can appropriately display sRGB photos on a wide gamut screen.

Pandamansays03/01/2020 10:00

My solution going forward is to get an IPS screen laptop. IPS is the same …My solution going forward is to get an IPS screen laptop. IPS is the same technology used on phone/tablet screens, so I am hoping the colours will be similar.

IPS is a type of LCD, other common types include VA and TN. IPS has nothing to do with the range of colours the display can produce.

IPS-type LCDs have long been popular among the serious image editing community and is often cited as having 'better colours' but this reviews to colour consistency. IPS has less colour drop-off when viewed at an angle, so colours are more similar when displayed at the edges of the screen to when they're displayed at the center.

The range of colours that can be displayed isn't down to the LCD panel. It's a property of the wavelengths the backlight is emitting and the wavelengths the colour filters are absorbing.
Thank you for the comments and suggestions everyone. The photos will primarily be coming from a Samsung Galaxy S10 and the Huwawei P30 Pro mobile phone and a Canon EOS 70D camera.

The image editing tool being used is quite basic in comparison to Photoshop / Lightroom :-

anthropics.com/smartphotoeditor/

Does this information could help tailor the laptop suggestions somewhat?
Edited by: "jimmymcmahon1" 3rd Jan
The two alternatives to adobe are
darktable.org/
and
gimp.org/
both free and cross-platform

oh and btw comparing photos on one screen with another screen is a pointless exercise - sssssssoooooooooooooo difficult to achieve full match and perfection plus everybodies eyes are different
I'd recommend processing the photos in the AdobeRGB (1998) colour space or the Pro version and also get a laptop or ideally a dedicated monitor that reaches close to 100% AdobeRGB coverage as possible.
Also buy a calibration device for it too and calibrate it every month.

I don't think Samsung mobile screens are accurate for colour, probably heavy on the saturate.
Thanks again everyone for all of your help. Has anyone got any experience with a laptop and an external screen setup? If we were to get a mediocre laptop (i.e. not a 1k laptop) and then spend a bit more on an external monitor with good colour gamut, would that also work? Is there anything inparticular that the laptop would need to have to drive the external monitor (i.e. dedicated graphics card, or does dedicated graphics not matter as much these days with advances in onboard GPU's?).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions