Coloured squares

Found 27th Apr
Each one of the coloured squares is 1/4 of the big square it is inscribed in.

If this pattern were to repeat an infinite amount of times, what fraction of the total area would be coloured?

2932273-BK2ly.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Whatever FP says.
27 Comments
1/3rd. Forget the square, think of it as repeating chevron shape.
I agree with the above
33708591-sIhPk.jpg
Infinite?
33709231-j4GsB.jpg
If the pattern repeats an infinite number of times there can be no finite answer.
what fraction of the total area would be coloured?

100% = all of it

Both green and white are colours - you asked about coloured not just the green.
philphil611 h, 32 m ago

what fraction of the total area would be coloured?100% = all of itBoth …what fraction of the total area would be coloured?100% = all of itBoth green and white are colours - you asked about coloured not just the green.

White is a shade
jco835 m ago

White is a shade

google.co.uk/sea…wl4

white
wʌɪt/
adjective

of the colour of milk or fresh snow, due to the reflection of all visible rays of light; the opposite of black.
"a sheet of white paper"
synonyms:colourless, unpigmented, undyed, bleached, natural; More
belonging to or denoting a human group having light-coloured skin (chiefly used of peoples of European extraction).
"a white farming community"
synonyms:Caucasian, European, non-black"the early white settlers of Australia"noun

white colour or pigment.
"garnet-red flowers flecked with white"
the visible pale part of the eyeball around the iris.
verbarchaic

paint or turn (something) white.
"your passion hath whited your face"
1/4 + 1/4 of the previous fraction + 1/4 of the previous fraction + 1/4 of the previous fraction + 1/4 of the previous fraction + 1/4 of the previous fraction ... and so on and so on
philphil6150 m ago

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=off&rlz=1C1PRFE_enGB703GB703&ei=mbTjWpieIIfcUfGop5gD&q=white+definition&oq=White&gs_l=psy-ab.1.3.0i71k1l8.0.0.0.3236.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.O02CrPjvwl4whitewʌɪt/adjective1.of the colour of milk or fresh snow, due to the reflection of all visible rays of light; the opposite of black."a sheet of white paper"synonyms:colourless, unpigmented, undyed, bleached, natural; More2.belonging to or denoting a human group having light-coloured skin (chiefly used of peoples of European extraction)."a white farming community"synonyms:Caucasian, European, non-black"the early white settlers of Australia"noun1.white colour or pigment."garnet-red flowers flecked with white"2.the visible pale part of the eyeball around the iris.verbarchaic1.paint or turn (something) white."your passion hath whited your face"

Is a white a color?
"In physics, a color is visible light with a specific wavelength. Black and white are not colors because they do not have specific wavelengths. Instead, white light contains all wavelengths of visible light. Black, on the other hand, is the absence of visible light."
Edited by: "jco83" 28th Apr
jco831 h, 18 m ago

Is a white a color?"In physics, a color is visible light with a specific …Is a white a color?"In physics, a color is visible light with a specific wavelength. Black and white are not colors because they do not have specific wavelengths. Instead, white light contains all wavelengths of visible light. Black, on the other hand, is the absence of visible light."

That's the sort of answer I'd expect from some over educated science professor who has zero understanding of life and reality.

In physics what colour do you get when you spin a disc of all the primary colours?

In normal life what colour does most household paint come in?
Whatever FP says.
philphil616 h, 21 m ago

That's the sort of answer I'd expect from some over educated science …That's the sort of answer I'd expect from some over educated science professor who has zero understanding of life and reality.In physics what colour do you get when you spin a disc of all the primary colours?In normal life what colour does most household paint come in?

Actually it is taught in School Level physics.
Just because some people choose to understand different things about life. That doesn't me those educated to a better degree in one discipline compared to others are Professor Level Geeks.
So ?

I am going with Jake.

Don't see how you can have an answer with infinite in the question ?

As to Black/White being colours just semantics really
would probably side with Phil the stones wrote a song and all.
Edited by: "Wongy110" 28th Apr
jco8319 h, 42 m ago

Is a white a color?"In physics, a color is visible light with a specific …Is a white a color?"In physics, a color is visible light with a specific wavelength. Black and white are not colors because they do not have specific wavelengths. Instead, white light contains all wavelengths of visible light. Black, on the other hand, is the absence of visible light."

Where were you yesterday?
fanpages14 m ago

Where were you yesterday?

Spying on you from a distance in secret
Wongy11015 h, 17 m ago

Whatever FP says.

mrty27th Apr

1/3rd. Forget the square, think of it as repeating chevron shape.

It is one third.

1/4 + 1/4^2 + 1/4^3 + 1/4^4 + ...
or
1/4 (one quarter) + 1/16 (one sixteenth) + 1/64 (one sixty-fourth) + 1/1024 (one thousand & twenty-fourth) + ...

By the fifteenth interation (i.e. 1/4^15 or 1/1,073,741,824) the sum is 0.333... recurring (or one third).
fanpages3 m ago

It is one third.1/4 + 1/4^2 + 1/4^3 + 1/4^4 + ...or1/4 (one quarter) + …It is one third.1/4 + 1/4^2 + 1/4^3 + 1/4^4 + ...or1/4 (one quarter) + 1/16 (one sixteenth) + 1/64 (one sixty-fourth) + 1/1024 (one thousand & twenty-fourth) + ...By the fifteenth interation (i.e. 1/4^15 or 1/1,073,741,824) the sum is 0.333... recurring (or one third).

Took you long enough
deeky1 m ago

Took you long enough

I had a Subreddit to moderate.
JJ

Do I win a prize?
shabbird3 m ago

JJ Do I win a prize?

Dunno... shall we ask @jj?
shabbird7 m ago

JJDo I win a prize?

My niece calls me JJ! YES YOU WIN A PRIZE!!
fanpages18 m ago

It is one third.1/4 + 1/4^2 + 1/4^3 + 1/4^4 + ...or1/4 (one quarter) + …It is one third.1/4 + 1/4^2 + 1/4^3 + 1/4^4 + ...or1/4 (one quarter) + 1/16 (one sixteenth) + 1/64 (one sixty-fourth) + 1/1024 (one thousand & twenty-fourth) + ...By the fifteenth interation (i.e. 1/4^15 or 1/1,073,741,824) the sum is 0.333... recurring (or one third).

THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING!!! hotukdeals.com/com…612
I couldn't get far enough in my calculations to see it would make 1/3 though
jco8356 s ago

THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING!!! …THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING!!! https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/33709612I couldn't get far enough in my calculations to see it would make 1/3 though

I know... I "liked" your comment along the way.
jco834 m ago

My niece calls me JJ! YES YOU WIN A PRIZE!!

woohooo
fanpages3 m ago

I know... I "liked" your comment along the way.

Oh so I see
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions