Column Radiators

Posted 16th Jul
Hi

Any recommendations on where best (good quality/fair price) to buy column radiators from please?

I require an anthracite coloured 1 for my hallway. I’m wanting to replace a standard radiator but will be difficult taking off the real wood flooring so size needs to be identical. I measured from the inner side, pipe to pipe as 88cm wide.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
as good/ en-trend as anthracite might look, I never get why folk would want to make a 'feature' of a radiator. It will stand out like a sore thumb unless ofcourse the walls are black too. Anyway, not dissing it, just food for thought.
If it helps, I’ve been looking at some on Victorian plumbing as I’m debating between underfloor heating and the cheaper option of a tall radiator in my new kitchen
victorianplumbing.co.uk/urb…o=1
Regarding the sizing you say you need... if you get a column radiator that is wall mounted then the pipe work can be adjusted to fit. This is how we got around the same problem with having concrete floors.
We went for Acova radiators throughout and they not only look great but they also chuck out a lot of heat.
Aren't Anthracite radiators less efficient?

I would also suggest that you can make the pipes as narrow/wide as you need above the floor regardless of their actual centres unless the radiator is sitting right on the floor itself??
buttonpushervic16/07/2020 11:32

Regarding the sizing you say you need... if you get a column radiator that …Regarding the sizing you say you need... if you get a column radiator that is wall mounted then the pipe work can be adjusted to fit. This is how we got around the same problem with having concrete floors.We went for Acova radiators throughout and they not only look great but they also chuck out a lot of heat.

Hi

Do you have any pictures?

This is what I have currently.
41406610-6GJeb.jpg
41406610-Zb3yz.jpg
41406826-uNI54.jpg
41406826-wAh0a.jpg
Not great pics of the pipes but you should be able to see how it has been extended and bent to fit the new rad. It look surprising neat in the flesh.
recommedation - if you can't get the same centers go smaller as you can get bars that are upto 100mm long and can be cut as your new tail. Be careful of the measurements listed as well. I have just replaced a radiator that measured 395mm with one that was 400mm - thinking I can get 5mm to work - the radiator was actually 407mm and due to the pipes coming out of the tiles had a hell of job - my plumber mate has been round this afternoon and got it on - he knows different curses than me and they must have worked
discobob16/07/2020 16:14

recommedation - if you can't get the same centers go smaller as you can …recommedation - if you can't get the same centers go smaller as you can get bars that are upto 100mm long and can be cut as your new tail. Be careful of the measurements listed as well. I have just replaced a radiator that measured 395mm with one that was 400mm - thinking I can get 5mm to work - the radiator was actually 407mm and due to the pipes coming out of the tiles had a hell of job - my plumber mate has been round this afternoon and got it on - he knows different curses than me and they must have worked

Curses lol
Thanks for the info
buttonpushervic16/07/2020 15:25

[Image] [Image] Not great pics of the pipes but you should be able to see …[Image] [Image] Not great pics of the pipes but you should be able to see how it has been extended and bent to fit the new rad. It look surprising neat in the flesh.

I was showing off the rad/position, not pipes lol
buttonpushervic16/07/2020 11:32

Regarding the sizing you say you need... if you get a column radiator that …Regarding the sizing you say you need... if you get a column radiator that is wall mounted then the pipe work can be adjusted to fit. This is how we got around the same problem with having concrete floors.We went for Acova radiators throughout and they not only look great but they also chuck out a lot of heat.

How many column rad (2) will fit if I currently have type 21 - depth wise?
ruheluddin8617/07/2020 15:00

How many column rad (2) will fit if I currently have type 21 - depth wise?

You’re overthinking it. Get a rad that is roughly the same dimensions as the one you’re replacing and ask your competent plumber to mount it centrally to your shelf thing.
Or better still have a couple of prospective rads in mind when he comes to quote and ask him which will fit better if there are any issues with the positioning of the existing pipe work.
Edited by: "buttonpushervic" 17th Jul
buttonpushervic17/07/2020 17:20

You’re overthinking it. Get a rad that is roughly the same dimensions as t …You’re overthinking it. Get a rad that is roughly the same dimensions as the one you’re replacing and ask your competent plumber to mount it centrally to your shelf thing.Or better still have a couple of prospective rads in mind when he comes to quote and ask him which will fit better if there are any issues with the positioning of the existing pipe work.

Yes but the depth will also be deciding factor in choosing rad. I can’t get 1 which comes out too much (column 4 which is much wider in depth) as that wouldn’t fit on existing line even if I have to buy extra length bars...

You’re overthinking it. Get a rad that is roughly the same dimensions as t …You’re overthinking it. Get a rad that is roughly the same dimensions as the one you’re replacing and ask your competent plumber to mount it centrally to your shelf thing.Or better still have a couple of prospective rads in mind when he comes to quote and ask him which will fit better if there are any issues with the positioning of the existing pipe work.

41420136-VQOMK.jpg

Max I can get will have to be 2 column!
41423713-s123K.jpg
41423713-f2vVB.jpg
41423713-aIZrd.jpg
buttonpushervic16/07/2020 15:25

[Image] [Image] Not great pics of the pipes but you should be able to see …[Image] [Image] Not great pics of the pipes but you should be able to see how it has been extended and bent to fit the new rad. It look surprising neat in the flesh.

Sorry, pics way to dark.
Can you send a couple more in light please???
VERY IMPORTANT:
PLEASE NOTE: WHEN CONNECTING THE PIPE- WORK TO THE RADIATOR, THE WATER MUST ENTER THE RADIATOR AT THE BOTTOM CORNER DIAGONALLY OPPOSITE THE AIR VENT AND EXIT AT THE BOTTOM CORNER BELOW THE AIR VENT.

The radiators are fully reversible so that should be fine on mine as currently the air vent n trv are on the same side.

A 2 column radiator should fit mine according to that size guide

Just need to find a anthracite now

screwfix.com/p/a…369
Post a comment
@
    Text