Combi Boiler lukewarm water

Found 28th Jan 2015
Could anyone give some advice what to do, started doing this during xmas. Goes hot for few second then lukewarm though central heating is fine, not sure what the problem lies at but my dad got a quote it's gonna cost £435 to repair
Community Updates
AskBoiler
17 Comments
So the quote doesn't say what they will do or replace? Do a one off British Gas call out for about £130 all inclusive labour and parts.
what is the amke / model of the boiler and how old is it?

EliTom
You haven't said what the make model of your boiler is & other details (age, last service etc.)

The last time this happened to me was with a ferroli f30. the cause ended up being the flue venturi (a small little ceramic thing) apparently it goes brittle over time & breaks causing the switch between hot & cold.

Luckily I had boiler cover as it took 4 or 5 visits before this was changed,and only after I googled it and asked for it to be swapped. The part itself was only a couple of quid I'm told (parts and labour are included in the cover). Before this I had hoses, valves, inlets pcb's changed wich would have cost 100's and did not work.

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/wcsstore7.00.00.168/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/products/AssetPush/wol-web-proof-large-w/std.lang.all/88/77/438877_wl.jpg
This is the tiny thing that caused all the hassle.
Blocked heat exchanger, Faulty diverter valve, faulty hot water sensor, or worn diaphragm. It most likely be 1 of the 4 faults i have listed. Either way £435 is very excessive. call a few more plumbers or google search fixed one off boiler repairs. Also alot of manufacturere of boiler companies do 1 one off fee repair. Call the manufacturer for a price. It will be cheaper i would guess between £200-£300
I was thinking faulty diverter valve, the model is Ideal Independent C24. We haven't service it for 2 years and cover expired August.

Another thing is bit of gas smell at times?
Get someone to turn on the hot water while you watch the diverter valve and see if it stays in the up position operating the switches that give extra boost to heat your hot water.
You may be able to manually keep switches on to see if water gets hot.
You can then get a quote for that specific job
lonfar

I was thinking faulty diverter valve, the model is Ideal Independent C24. … I was thinking faulty diverter valve, the model is Ideal Independent C24. We haven't service it for 2 years and cover expired August.Another thing is bit of gas smell at times?

get someone in asap if u smell gas and it is not working properly u are just asking for trouble constantly using it...as above do a one off repair through British gas or someone along those lines
call national grid if you smell gas. They'll take a look and make sure its not dangerous.

BG would be a good bet for a one off repair as if you get someone independant they'll charge you a lot more and from I remember last time we used BG they only charge you a flat fee.

Goodluck.
Just get a proper independent gas enginner who knows what he's doing and it will be cheaper than any fixed fee or insurance based deals. Whatever you do don't go onto Homecare or similar, they never work out as value for money.

Also why would a company ever specify what they are going to replace - it just means tight customers will attempt to do it themselves. Those of us in the know either charge a diagnosis fee, or give a vague part name ;).

Just to add for £50 extra you could of got an Independent+ with 7 year warranty.
Edited by: "themorgatron" 28th Jan 2015
Well my dad just called someone to check it outan hour ago, fiddle around 20min but don't think he knows the problem..

He said the sensor is the problem
Edited by: "lonfar" 28th Jan 2015
lonfar

Well my dad just called someone to check it outan hour ago, fiddle around … Well my dad just called someone to check it outan hour ago, fiddle around 20min but don't think he knows the problem..He said the sensor is the problem

Get them to fit the part, if it doesn't work you don't pay them. I doubt any of the parts & labour will be over the £200 BG charge for a fixed repair.

The independent is a good budget boiler, and parts are cheap for it.
themorgatron

Get them to fit the part, if it doesn't work you don't pay them. I doubt … Get them to fit the part, if it doesn't work you don't pay them. I doubt any of the parts & labour will be over the £200 BG charge for a fixed repair.The independent is a good budget boiler, and parts are cheap for it.

His coming back tomorrow but for now my dad need to contact nationalgrid after work to find the leaking gas from the pipes since the egineer said it wasn't from the boiler
lonfar

His coming back tomorrow but for now my dad need to contact nationalgrid … His coming back tomorrow but for now my dad need to contact nationalgrid after work to find the leaking gas from the pipes since the egineer said it wasn't from the boiler

If you have a leaking pipe and smell gas the pipe should be capped at the meter! If national grid come out they will just test to see if there's a leak, if it's not leaking at the meter where they can fix it they will just cap it and leave it for you to find the leak (I'm not aware they trace gas leaks on pipework beyond the meter).

Try posting on ukplumbersforum.co.uk looking for a gas repair, you will get someone who knows what he's doing and can be trusted.
Nationalgrid fix the gas leak and plumber fix the hot water problem, total costed £175
lonfar

Nationalgrid fix the gas leak and plumber fix the hot water problem, … Nationalgrid fix the gas leak and plumber fix the hot water problem, total costed £175

Can I ask where the leak was, and if they charged anything?
OP, glad to hear your problem got sorted. If you dont mind me asking, what was the issue with the hot water problem. thanks
lonfar

Nationalgrid fix the gas leak and plumber fix the hot water problem, … Nationalgrid fix the gas leak and plumber fix the hot water problem, total costed £175

EN1GMA

OP, glad to hear your problem got sorted. If you dont mind me asking, … OP, glad to hear your problem got sorted. If you dont mind me asking, what was the issue with the hot water problem. thanks

The company that installed the boiler have added type glue and the boiler leak which worn away causing leaking gas, dunno how to explain but can picture you the bit that was leaking.

They charged my parent some turbine and a flow switch, think regular part costed £73
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants