Combi Boiler Recommendations

Posted 8th Dec 2019
I need to replace my boiler which was very old and had to removed for building an extension. My builder recommends buying Vaillant 30KW Combi boiler. My friend who is doing similar works says most boilers are same and says go for Baxi as that too offers 10 year warranty. I am a bit confused as this is my first ever Boiler purchase. Any recommendations who has experience replacing one or who is in this trade. Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

51 Comments
Both are good companies.
it is incorrect to say that all boilers are the same. you might as well say that all washing machines are the same.

i have had various combi boilers over the years with vaillant, potterton, worcester bosch. i would say from personal experience, worcester bosch is the most reliable and good value for money. i found vaillant to be very expensive and troublesome, although most gas engineers have said that as a brand they are very reliable.

potterton has been a decent brand as well but going forwards, i am going to be heading for worcester bosch when a boiler needs replacing.
We have a Valliant - excellent, can't fault it. Does rather depend upon the size of the house though.
Don't take Bolier advise from a builder LOL.

Do/did you have a combi now?
deleted1471098
Worcester Bosch, had them in two houses and both have been trouble free. Most of the companies that offer long warranties do so because they are bad.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 8th Dec 2019
deleted147109808/12/2019 18:56

Worcester Bosch, had them in two houses and both have been trouble free. …Worcester Bosch, had them in two houses and both have been trouble free. Most of the companies that offer long warranties do so because they are bad.

No they don't.
deleted1471098
JimboParrot08/12/2019 19:06

Well neither do I. You made the statement first.

Exactly and you said that is wasn’t true so prove it.

Let’s look at it in more detail:

Warranties why do they cover, usually parts and labour (although not always labour).
Compliance: must be serviced regularly sometimes stating they must follow their procedure
Exclusions: wear and tear, frozen condensate pipes and faults due to improper servicing

So what is the warranty really worth? Well considering wear and tear, frozen condensate pipes and irregular servicing are the most likely cause of boiler problems it’s about the same as a few sheets of toilet paper. Buy a decent boiler from a reliable brand and don’t chase warranties as they are often not worth the paper they are written on.
mutley108/12/2019 17:42

it is incorrect to say that all boilers are the same. you might as well …it is incorrect to say that all boilers are the same. you might as well say that all washing machines are the same.i have had various combi boilers over the years with vaillant, potterton, worcester bosch. i would say from personal experience, worcester bosch is the most reliable and good value for money. i found vaillant to be very expensive and troublesome, although most gas engineers have said that as a brand they are very reliable.potterton has been a decent brand as well but going forwards, i am going to be heading for worcester bosch when a boiler needs replacing.

Thinks: is a boiler with a known (un)reliability history still in production; are the same components being used in currently produced boilers as were being used xx years ago; do current manufacturing processes reflect manufacturing process in place xx years ago; are current quality control requirements the same as those required xx years ago, etc, etc.
Do your xx years old boiler(s) that are no longer manufactured have any relevance to boliers that were manufactured last week?

Worcester Bosch, had them in two houses and both have been trouble free. …Worcester Bosch, had them in two houses and both have been trouble free. Most of the companies that offer long warranties do so because they are bad.

Good boiler but crap customer service from bosch.
What do you mean 'they do so because they are bad'?
this may be helpful info on boiler warranty. they will come with strict terms and conditions so i personally don't think they are value for money and i would not pay to extend a manufacturer's warranty. when your combi breaks down and you are left without heating and hot water, you don't want to be arguing about whether or not you have met the numerous terms and conditions that are required to claim under the warranty.

they may also take longer to turn up and repair your boiler as i doubt there is any time scale imposed on the manufacturer to turn up quickly to deal with your problem. they already got your money so you will not be their priority concern.

boilerguide.co.uk/art…ies
a boiler manufacturers warranty doesn't come with any 'strict' terms but just fair terms and pretty obvious terms at that.

An annual service is required but this should be part of any boilers maintenance anyway both for safety and a working boiler. Someone else mentioned excluding 'wear and tear' in a manufactures warranty, theres no such thing as wear and tear in a boiler and you'll be covered in all breakdowns.
I’d recommend a Worcester Bosch for sure. Never had a problem with mine and if you go with an installer from their website you can get a 10 year guarantee. Just needs servicing every year to keep it (you service a car, why wouldn’t you service a boiler huh?!)
Also get thoughts from a professional heating engineer rather than a builder 🏻
Please be aware Worcester Bosch now produce a boiler made in Turkey. (Heatline says hello).

I install, service and repair boilers for a living. Intergas are by far the best boiler on the market.
Worcester Bosch or Valiant, whichever gives the longest parts and labour guarantee, check with a few plumbers off Checkatrade and use whichever gives you highest level of guarantee and confidence, you can then use the same engineer for your annual service.

That makes no sense,a company that offers over and above the legal guarantee, that suggests the have faith in their products,would it not????
depends really on size of house .how many mixer showers? you would need x amount of litres per minute of hot water at the furthest away shower for example. i have potterton/baxi. had 2-3 issues in 11 years. mostly just rubber washers failing. diaphrams. but the boiler is super easy to work with and can get parts easy.
s_mZ0S08/12/2019 22:14

depends really on size of house .how many mixer showers? you would need x …depends really on size of house .how many mixer showers? you would need x amount of litres per minute of hot water at the furthest away shower for example. i have potterton/baxi. had 2-3 issues in 11 years. mostly just rubber washers failing. diaphrams. but the boiler is super easy to work with and can get parts easy.

Picking the boiler make has absolutely nothing to do with any of those.
paulj4808/12/2019 20:45

a boiler manufacturers warranty doesn't come with any 'strict' terms but …a boiler manufacturers warranty doesn't come with any 'strict' terms but just fair terms and pretty obvious terms at that.An annual service is required but this should be part of any boilers maintenance anyway both for safety and a working boiler. Someone else mentioned excluding 'wear and tear' in a manufactures warranty, theres no such thing as wear and tear in a boiler and you'll be covered in all breakdowns.

you don't actually need an annual service on boilers. british gas themselves have admitted this and had sent out a survey to homecare customers to ask if they would prefer a cheaper premium if their boilers are serviced once every two years instead of annually as it is not required that a boiler is serviced once a year.
Edited by: "mutley1" 8th Dec 2019
mutley108/12/2019 23:12

you don't actually need an annual service on boilers. british gas …you don't actually need an annual service on boilers. british gas themselves have admitted this and had sent out a survey to homecare customers to ask if they would prefer a cheaper premium if their boilers are serviced once every two years instead of annually as it is not required that a boiler is serviced once a year.

Tha's simply not true.

Many boiler warranties are null and void if an annual service is not carried out and BG just do an annual inspection rather than a service
Edited by: "OllieSt" 8th Dec 2019
themorgatron08/12/2019 21:16

Please be aware Worcester Bosch now produce a boiler made in Turkey. …Please be aware Worcester Bosch now produce a boiler made in Turkey. (Heatline says hello).I install, service and repair boilers for a living. Intergas are by far the best boiler on the market.

How do Inergas compare with Viessmann?
OllieSt08/12/2019 23:18

Tha's simply not true. Many boiler warranties are null and void if an …Tha's simply not true. Many boiler warranties are null and void if an annual service is not carried out

that is the requirement for the boiler manufacturer, which means that they are less likely to face a claim. any faulty parts will be replaced at the owner's expense during an annual service inspection so less chance for the claim to end up on their desk.

it is not an absolute requirement for a boiler to continue functioning safely, which is why it is not law that boilers have to be serviced annually. one of my boilers that were installed by british gas came with a 5 year british gas warranty, even though it was a potterton, british gas gave the warranty themselves. their warranty did not require that i get the boiler serviced annually or at all during the 5 year period.
mutley108/12/2019 23:26

that is the requirement for the boiler manufacturer, which means that they …that is the requirement for the boiler manufacturer, which means that they are less likely to face a claim. any faulty parts will be replaced at the owner's expense during an annual service inspection so less chance for the claim to end up on their desk

Nonsense

If you buy a quality boiler with a 10 year parts and labour warranty they will want you to have an annual service to maintain that warranty. If during that service work is required it will be covered by the warranty. It just stands to reason and is not particularly debatable
Edited by: "OllieSt" 8th Dec 2019
OllieSt08/12/2019 23:34

NonsenseIf you buy a quality boiler with a 10 year parts and labour …NonsenseIf you buy a quality boiler with a 10 year parts and labour warranty they will want you to have an annual service to maintain that warranty. If during that service work is required it will be covered by the warranty. It just stands to reason and is not particularly debatable

nonsense
OllieSt08/12/2019 23:37

Ok.

you are talking about something else. i did not say that you don't need to service the boiler annually to qualify for the manufacturer's warranty, i am saying that you don't actually need an annual boiler service to make sure that it works efficiently and safely as paulj48 had stated.

of course if you do, then that is all the better, but it is not an absolute requirement, so if you purchased a potterton for example, that came with one year manufacturer warranty, you could get away with not getting it serviced until it is 3 or 4 years old, so saving yourself a few years of annual service fees.
mutley108/12/2019 23:43

you are talking about something else. .................if you purchased a …you are talking about something else. .................if you purchased a potterton for example, that came with one year manufacturer warranty, you could get away with not getting it serviced until it is 3 or 4 years old, so saving yourself a few years of annual service fees.

Yes and it's entirely possible to run a car without getting it serviced.

Do you adopt that strategy, and if not, why not?
OllieSt08/12/2019 23:57

Yes and it's entirely possible to run a car without getting it serviced.Do …Yes and it's entirely possible to run a car without getting it serviced.Do you adopt that strategy, and if not, why not?

Ok
mutley109/12/2019 00:09

ok

I rest my case.

I look forward to one of your daft problems on a boiler in the future.
OllieSt09/12/2019 00:14

I rest my case. I look forward to one of your daft problems on a boiler …I rest my case. I look forward to one of your daft problems on a boiler in the future.

ok
BiffyBear08/12/2019 20:45

.. you service a car, why wouldn’t you service a boiler huh?!)

Because some boilers dont really have any serviceable parts. My potterton boiler is at least 25 years old and I had it serviced when I moved in 17 years ago. The engineer took 10 minutes just scraping a few bits of fluff out and testing the flue. Told me there isn't anything to service so haven't had one since. No problems with it except a loose thermistor a couple of years back which I fixed myself.
mutley108/12/2019 23:12

you don't actually need an annual service on boilers. british gas …you don't actually need an annual service on boilers. british gas themselves have admitted this and had sent out a survey to homecare customers to ask if they would prefer a cheaper premium if their boilers are serviced once every two years instead of annually as it is not required that a boiler is serviced once a year.

well my Intergas boiler certainly needs an annual service to remove the limescales build up on the Hex as specified by the manufacturer (and what was witnessed when the service happened) also the water trap on the condensate needs refilling with water , what a British Gas survey has got to do with this?
chocci09/12/2019 06:45

Because some boilers dont really have any serviceable parts. My potterton …Because some boilers dont really have any serviceable parts. My potterton boiler is at least 25 years old and I had it serviced when I moved in 17 years ago. The engineer took 10 minutes just scraping a few bits of fluff out and testing the flue. Told me there isn't anything to service so haven't had one since. No problems with it except a loose thermistor a couple of years back which I fixed myself.

Unfortunately modern boilers are not built like they where 25 years ago and have become more complex as the law's have changed. New boilers have to be ERP rated and to be condensing, this has forced manufacturers to cram as much tech into a boiler to reduce emissions and increase efficiency resulting in service intervals that do require consumable parts to be replace on a regular basis.
paulj4809/12/2019 09:42

Unfortunately modern boilers are not built like they where 25 years ago …Unfortunately modern boilers are not built like they where 25 years ago and have become more complex as the law's have changed. New boilers have to be ERP rated and to be condensing, this has forced manufacturers to cram as much tech into a boiler to reduce emissions and increase efficiency resulting in service intervals that do require consumable parts to be replace on a regular basis.

Thanks for the explanation . That's convinced me even more not to replace mine until its condemned
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions