Combi boiler recommendations

Posted 1st Jan
Our Combi boiler is getting ready for replacing. Really undecided which make to go for next. 3 bedroomed semi, no en suites etc. Obviously wanting something as reliable as possible. Looked at Viessmann, Worcester Bosch, Vaillant and Ideal. Was a bit concerned at the breakdown ratesof the Vaillant. Any recommendations much appreciated.
Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

30 Comments
Make sure you go with one that has a 10 year warranty. Also make sure you keep the servicing in line with the manufacturer requirements. Personally I would go Valiant or Bosh but that’s just personal preference.
jbecker01/01/2020 13:14

Make sure you go with one that has a 10 year warranty. Also make sure you …Make sure you go with one that has a 10 year warranty. Also make sure you keep the servicing in line with the manufacturer requirements. Personally I would go Valiant or Bosh but that’s just personal preference.

Thanks for that JB. Had Worcester Bosch for approximately 20 years and it got condemned because the metal outlet had a tiny hole that had appeared. We couldn't get a replacement spare part so had a new boiler. This one has only lasted 9 years. Would have happily gone with Worcester Bosch again but read some negatives.

• Not as reliable as they used to be
  • Lower quality internal components, when they can be better
  • Extended warranties only with their own branded controls and magnetic filter
  • Their magnetic filter is cumbersome and ugly
  • Poor warranty on controls
  • Some rivals offer much better value for money, reliability and energy efficiency
Despite the negative reviews you may of seen or heard, Worcester Bosch would still be my first choice (depending on price). As with anything mechanical, any appliance may develop a fault over time and most engineers are familiar with them and the parts are easily accessible.
I bought a new one last year and opted for the magnetic filter to get the extra warranty. As it’s hidden away in a cupboard I wouldn’t worry about the aesthetics of it, as long as it does it’s job.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 1st Jan
Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30i is probably the one you should go for. Bosch offers 10 years warranty provided installed by a Bosch approved installer and annual service history. Worry free for 10 years atleast.
Toptrumpet01/01/2020 13:43

Despite the negative reviews you may of seen or heard, Worcester Bosch …Despite the negative reviews you may of seen or heard, Worcester Bosch would still be my first choice (depending on price). As with anything mechanical, any appliance may develop a fault over time and most engineers are familiar with them and the parts are easily accessible. I bought a new one last year and opted for the magnetic filter to get the extra warranty. As it’s hidden away in a cupboard I wouldn’t worry about the aesthetics of it, as long as it does it’s job.

Cheers Toptrumpet, will definitely be having the flush and magnetic filter.
maabus01/01/2020 13:57

Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30i is probably the one you should go for. Bosch …Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30i is probably the one you should go for. Bosch offers 10 years warranty provided installed by a Bosch approved installer and annual service history. Worry free for 10 years atleast.

Nice 1 maabus, sounds good.
We have an Ideal with 10 year warranty , been in 3 years now not been a minutes trouble. My son and son in law are both gas fitters so I'm lucky with the annual service cost.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 1st Jan
yorkie1201/01/2020 14:40

We have an Ideal with 10 year warranty , been in 3 years now not been a …We have an Ideal with 10 year warranty , been in 3 years now not been a minutes trouble.

Cheers Yorkie, much appreciated, which model and what type of house? (size)
It's a Logic C30 and we are 4 bed detached with 2 bathrooms , radiators are very quick to warm up.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 1st Jan
yorkie1201/01/2020 14:56

It's a Logic C30 and we are 4 bed detached with 2 bathrooms

Cheers Yorkie, good to know plumbers in the family recommended it as well.
kramvic01/01/2020 13:24

Thanks for that JB. Had Worcester Bosch for approximately 20 years and it …Thanks for that JB. Had Worcester Bosch for approximately 20 years and it got condemned because the metal outlet had a tiny hole that had appeared. We couldn't get a replacement spare part so had a new boiler. This one has only lasted 9 years. Would have happily gone with Worcester Bosch again but read some negatives.Not as reliable as they used to beLower quality internal components, when they can be betterExtended warranties only with their own branded controls and magnetic filterTheir magnetic filter is cumbersome and uglyPoor warranty on controlsSome rivals offer much better value for money, reliability and energy efficiency

Reliability is a concept and not wholly predictable unless a manufacturer can obtain a persistently identical source of components of the persistently identical quality and can assemble products in a persistently identical way subject to persistently identical quality assurance and persistently identical shipping protection. Meaning a product manufactured yy years / mm months / dd days ago may or may not be as (un)reliable as the product available at the time you purchase.
A suitable long warranty (say 10 years) with reasonable terms will not provide reliability but will provide an element of financial comfort to the user, but a suitable long warranty is only applicable for as long as the organisation providing the warranty is in existence and/or chooses to honour it. It may be prudent to consider warranting such a long warranty, and an S75-qualifying purchase should tick that box, where that qualification may need research depending on the merits of "supply&fit" or "supply-only + fit" where either of those options has implications for potentially separate hardware and/or labour purchase protection.
yorkie1201/01/2020 14:40

We have an Ideal with 10 year warranty , been in 3 years now not been a …We have an Ideal with 10 year warranty , been in 3 years now not been a minutes trouble. My son and son in law are both gas fitters so I'm lucky with the annual service cost.

Can vouch for this one too. We had it installed in our last property and for 3 years it was absolutely perfect. We now have a Worcester Bosch and the previous owner said she hasn't had an issue in about 10 years with it and has it serviced annually.
Bosch now has 12 years warranty from this year I got told by an installer who was doing me a quote a few weeks ago
adamwilko00701/01/2020 15:35

Bosch now has 12 years warranty from this year I got told by an installer …Bosch now has 12 years warranty from this year I got told by an installer who was doing me a quote a few weeks ago

WB still quotes max 10yrs manufacturer wty at time of this post (01 Jan 2020) worcester-bosch.co.uk/sup…ned (archive at web.archive.org/web…ned) but 12yr installer-underwritten warranty is not uncommon by certain installers that require service contract at additional cost for the entire duration of the installer's warranty.
AndyRoyd01/01/2020 16:12

WB still quotes max 10yrs manufacturer wty at time of this post (01 Jan …WB still quotes max 10yrs manufacturer wty at time of this post (01 Jan 2020) https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/guarantees-explained (archive at https://web.archive.org/web/20200101161155/https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/guarantees-explained) but 12yr installer-underwritten warranty is not uncommon by certain installers that require service contract at additional cost for the entire duration of the installer's warranty.

Yea he said it wasn't kicking in officially until first few weeks of Jan
adamwilko00701/01/2020 16:19

Yea he said it wasn't kicking in officially until first few weeks of Jan

Rubbish marketing by WB cos not seen / heard anything about any 12yr wty promo yet, but thanks for headsup and will keep an eye on the WB warranty page.
Vailiant.

all day long!
the best
Worcester Bosch great boilers but customer service is awful, I would not buy a boiler from them again until they sort out the customer service department. 20+ minutes on hold just to speak to someone on the phone.
Another vote for ideal had mine in for 4 years now and still yet to have an issue and mines in the loft which gets quite cold during the winter!
Parents had 'glow worm', 30+ years no issue, until BG condemned it, replacement part no longer available, £4k for a new WB, within 5 days leaking water, nasty cheap plastic water housing, dead common..they got it sorted quickly but...kinda not inspiring!
Sadly NOTHING as good as once was..life I guess... :-(
Another vote for WB here, I have the one that you can hide in a kitchen cupboard so you don't see it.
Thanks for all the replies
You had any quotes back yet? Would be intrested to know when you get some rough prices and we can compare to see if they are in same ball park
adamwilko00706/01/2020 13:02

I found that the heat exchanges are metal but is that it?

Some of the Vaillant models have a stainless steel heat exchanger.
I have had a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 832 installed with a magna clean. Been going very well for 2 and a bit years.

Many of my friends and family have either Vaillant or Worcester Bosch installed. I know one friend who went for an Ideal and he was banging on about how his particular model was designed by Vaillant.

I would say the key thing is to ensure a flush is done, inhibitor fed in on install of new boiler and keep it and the filter serviced and cleaned.

Having said that, a friend of mine got a WB installed around 2010. I've no idea what model. It had its first service last year or maybe the year before and he's never had a problem with it.

Maybe... it's pot luck!
Hi mate just emailed bosch to check the 12 year warranty. It is definitely a valid warranty for 12 years just needs to be on a 8000 series boiler and installed by and accredited installer
How often does the i30 need to be serviced to retain the 10 year warranty?
Does the quote include flush and filter?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions