Combi drill advice

Found 20th May
I'm planning to buy a combi drill for my nephew who is buying his first flat. I have seen these two but I don't know which is better... I'd appreciate any advice or ideas for alternatives.... Thanks

wickes.co.uk/Mak…273

screwfix.com/p/m…94j
Community Updates
9 Comments
The Makita LXT (Screwfix) is far, far better option than the Makita G-series (Wickes).

Makita LXT range is vast which is ideal for building a power tool collection, whereas the G-series batteries are not compatible with anything else.
For around the £100 I would go with this. Add a tub of PZ2 bits to take it over £100 for free delivery.

If it's going to be used very occasionally and other tools/garden equipment will be bought then Ryobi one+ tools are pretty good to start a DIY home set off. Here.
Edited by: "GAVINLEWISHUKD" 20th May
Thanks to both of you,it's all so complicated with so many options.... I appreciate your input!
I’d get the one with the high AH, the battery will last much longer, great for using a lot. I got a similar deal for a dewalt drill from screwfix which has been rock solid!
Argos, stanley metal gearbox and chuck think it's on offer for £84 never look back, bargain!!..

2x2Ah batteries perfect
Ahh, the argos one is just a drill, I'm after a combi drill but thanks anyway.
cmdr_elito18 h, 57 m ago

I’d get the one with the high AH, the battery will last much longer, great …I’d get the one with the high AH, the battery will last much longer, great for using a lot. I got a similar deal for a dewalt drill from screwfix which has been rock solid!

BUT the OP should consider that a decent brand combi (The Dewalt one linked earlier would meet this criteria IMO) with a couple of smaller Ah batteries would be better for someone starting a collection.

A bare unit in the future would be cheaper then buying another tool and battery, once you use them more and outgrow the smaller Ah then picking up a sale kit with a bigger Ah (4.0/5.0) in future means you have multiple batteries for different tasks.

Also worth noting, if you only have 1 large Ah battery and it develops a fault, your back to square one, with a couple of smaller Ah you've got a spare.
andynicol29 m ago

BUT the OP should consider that a decent brand combi (The Dewalt one …BUT the OP should consider that a decent brand combi (The Dewalt one linked earlier would meet this criteria IMO) with a couple of smaller Ah batteries would be better for someone starting a collection.A bare unit in the future would be cheaper then buying another tool and battery, once you use them more and outgrow the smaller Ah then picking up a sale kit with a bigger Ah (4.0/5.0) in future means you have multiple batteries for different tasks.Also worth noting, if you only have 1 large Ah battery and it develops a fault, your back to square one, with a couple of smaller Ah you've got a spare.

It’s another option I guess, I’ve had lower ah batteries and they normally don’t last very long so changed to bigger ah and it’s been fantastic, have only charged it 3 times, built a 10 x 13 shed, shelves put up and loads of other diy tasks. It’s also worth remember the batteries get changed every 2-3 years so the old ones won’t always work with new kit. If someone is starting in a new place they will use the tools most in the first few years as they get things sorted.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 21st May
cmdr_elito11 h, 7 m ago

It’s another option I guess, I’ve had lower ah batteries and they normally …It’s another option I guess, I’ve had lower ah batteries and they normally don’t last very long so changed to bigger ah and it’s been fantastic, have only charged it 3 times, built a 10 x 13 shed, shelves put up and loads of other diy tasks. It’s also worth remember the batteries get changed every 2-3 years so the old ones won’t always work with new kit. If someone is starting in a new place they will use the tools most in the first few years as they get things sorted.

Dewalt 18v XR and Makita 18v LXT have been going longer than 3 years.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions