Combi drill- Multi purpose use(from electronics repair,car use,general house drilling)

Found 23rd Jun 2017
Forgive me if my title sounds stupid! I understand there are different tools like cordless screw drivers etc.
but just wondering if I want to buy one good multipurpose tool which one to go for! (Budget around £150).
At the moment I need for removing sockets from car to remove the seat etc)
I do have a small 3.6v cordless screwdriver.

Thank you

1. Ask
  2. Car
  3. Drill
21 Comments

I recently bought a cordless (battery) drill. I didn't have your budget. So, for drilling into concrete you need one with hammer action, get a 13mm chuck, (takes larger diameter drills) most now have a variable speed, smaller drill bit, faster speed, most also have reverse, useful if drilling into metal & drill bit gets stuck. Higher battery voltage better.
Spare battery & case are also a good idea.

Screwfix have qquite a good selection screwfix.com/c/t…M5g

Original Poster

Thank you..your insight much help full.

Agree that a spare battery is essential. I also suggest a 18V tool.

To future proof your purchase buy a brand - not something from Aldi/Lidl as you will have difficulty getting replacement batteries in the future. I have gone for Ryobi - not as favoured as Dewalt/Makita (aimed for daily use by Tradesmen) but cheaper and has the advantage of all the cordless tools in their range sharing a common battery design.

I have an 18v Hitachi which I got from Screwfix with 2 batteries a few years ago. Pretty good and was on offer at about £100. I would keep an eye out for sales, always a few quid to be saved

Original Poster

UriStamonov

I have an 18v Hitachi which I got from Screwfix with 2 batteries a few … I have an 18v Hitachi which I got from Screwfix with 2 batteries a few years ago. Pretty good and was on offer at about £100. I would keep an eye out for sales, always a few quid to be saved

​Thank you , sure not going for cheap ones!
any particular model you can suggest pls?

I use a lightweight 10.8 volt drill for most trade jobs. Was the twin pack impact and drill. Impact is amazing with screws/sockets. I use the impact way more than the drill. I don't need anything to powerful for drilling pilot holes and the impact drill will drive screws as incredibly powerful. Unless your working away from 240volt mains you don't need a hammer action cordless drill. And way to heavy for most jobs. A light cordless and impact set with a mains hammer dose me.

Original Poster

UriStamonov

I have an 18v Hitachi which I got from Screwfix with 2 batteries a few … I have an 18v Hitachi which I got from Screwfix with 2 batteries a few years ago. Pretty good and was on offer at about £100. I would keep an eye out for sales, always a few quid to be saved

​My previous job offered me 20 percent discount with screw fix.. oO Too late! Have to check with my mates if they can get one for me.

Original Poster

wayners

I use a lightweight 10.8 volt drill for most trade jobs. Was the twin … I use a lightweight 10.8 volt drill for most trade jobs. Was the twin pack impact and drill. Impact is amazing with screws/sockets. I use the impact way more than the drill. I don't need anything to powerful for drilling pilot holes and the impact drill will drive screws as incredibly powerful. Unless your working away from 240volt mains you don't need a hammer action cordless drill. And way to heavy for most jobs. A light cordless and impact set with a mains hammer dose me.

​Thank you..will chek the difference between impact and hammer drill,could you pls suggest me particular model?

wayners1 h, 50 m ago

I use a lightweight 10.8 volt drill for most trade jobs. Was the twin pack …I use a lightweight 10.8 volt drill for most trade jobs. Was the twin pack impact and drill. Impact is amazing with screws/sockets. I use the impact way more than the drill. I don't need anything to powerful for drilling pilot holes and the impact drill will drive screws as incredibly powerful. Unless your working away from 240volt mains you don't need a hammer action cordless drill. And way to heavy for most jobs. A light cordless and impact set with a mains hammer dose me.

Plus one for Impact Drills. Awesome piece of kit.

I used to strip car including seat removal and in my experience a drill of sorts would have been no use due to access, even then an impact driver would be so much better.
Generally most combi drills including two batteries and a charger within your budget are not going to be great at drilling into masonry. So if you need a drill for masony but only occasionally just buy a cheap sds from say Lidl or Aldi when they are on offer as quite often they come with 3/5 year guarantee.
I personally own Makita and have been very happy, although I have also had Bosch and been just as happy,
Edited by: "hubcms" 24th Jun 2017

schwarzennegger

​Thank you..will chek the difference between impact and hammer d … ​Thank you..will chek the difference between impact and hammer drill,could you pls suggest me particular model?

​Impact is for driving in screws and sockets/ bolts. Amazing power from a small one but the larger ones would be way to powerful for what you want. I have drill and impact twin pack makita black and white drill 10.8 volt but cheaper available

Original Poster

wayners

​Impact is for driving in screws and sockets/ bolts. Amazing power from a … ​Impact is for driving in screws and sockets/ bolts. Amazing power from a small one but the larger ones would be way to powerful for what you want. I have drill and impact twin pack makita black and white drill 10.8 volt but cheaper available

​OK thank you.could you pls tell me the model number of the impact driver you have?

Original Poster

wayners

​Impact is for driving in screws and sockets/ bolts. Amazing power from a … ​Impact is for driving in screws and sockets/ bolts. Amazing power from a small one but the larger ones would be way to powerful for what you want. I have drill and impact twin pack makita black and white drill 10.8 volt but cheaper available

​thank you , so 10.8v impact driver is enough to use with screws and bolts?

Van197315 h, 29 m ago

Agree that a spare battery is essential. I also suggest a 18V tool.To …Agree that a spare battery is essential. I also suggest a 18V tool.To future proof your purchase buy a brand - not something from Aldi/Lidl as you will have difficulty getting replacement batteries in the future. I have gone for Ryobi - not as favoured as Dewalt/Makita (aimed for daily use by Tradesmen) but cheaper and has the advantage of all the cordless tools in their range sharing a common battery design.

Saying that, when I was having a lot of work done to the house a lot of the tradesmen were using the Ryobi drills. The Dewalt ones are nowhere near as good these days IMO and the Dewalt i use sometimes is a bit top heavy and doesn't have the power of the Ryobi when it comes to hammer drill. Obviously, spending more will make this argument void though!

I really recommend the One+ 18V Ryobi combi drill. I have abused mine over 2 years and it's still OK

I have this kit (and a couple of 18V drills) I use these much more than the bigger stuff, for just the things you mention in your question. Batteries last well and there are 2 of them so one can be charging as you use the other. They're well made and should last you a very long time.

amazon.co.uk/d/D….8v

Removing sockets from a car seat?.. Are you referring to the bolt heads?

If so, cant see 10.8 v doing anything. As suggested impact socket drill may work depending on access .

In my experience in taking a few car seats out, any bolts holding the seat in will be solid. If reinstalling the seat also use a torque wrench.

Original Poster

tehwabbit

Saying that, when I was having a lot of work done to the house a lot of … Saying that, when I was having a lot of work done to the house a lot of the tradesmen were using the Ryobi drills. The Dewalt ones are nowhere near as good these days IMO and the Dewalt i use sometimes is a bit top heavy and doesn't have the power of the Ryobi when it comes to hammer drill. Obviously, spending more will make this argument void though!I really recommend the One+ 18V Ryobi combi drill. I have abused mine over 2 years and it's still OK

​thank you..will loook in to Ryobi drills too.

Original Poster

RxTx

I have this kit (and a couple of 18V drills) I use these much more than … I have this kit (and a couple of 18V drills) I use these much more than the bigger stuff, for just the things you mention in your question. Batteries last well and there are 2 of them so one can be charging as you use the other. They're well made and should last you a very long time.https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DIY-Tools/Bosch-Professional-Cordless-Twin-Kit-Lithium-Batteries/B00EKK6S16/ref=sr_1_22?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1498332363&sr=1-22&keywords=bosch+professional+10.8v

​thank you so much

Original Poster

WDTV123

Removing sockets from a car seat?.. Are you referring to the bolt heads? … Removing sockets from a car seat?.. Are you referring to the bolt heads? If so, cant see 10.8 v doing anything. As suggested impact socket drill may work depending on access . In my experience in taking a few car seats out, any bolts holding the seat in will be solid. If reinstalling the seat also use a torque wrench.

​Yes bolts! I will search for torque wrench.thank you.

schwarzennegger

Yes bolts! I will search for torque wrench.thank you.

The 10.8 kit I mentioned comes with an impact driver , it's not failed to unscrew any bolt I've used it on, including wheel nuts. They are also a lot smaller than the 18V versions so can get into tighter spaces.
Edited by: "RxTx" 25th Jun 2017

Original Poster

RxTx

The 10.8 kit I mentioned comes with an impact driver , it's not failed to … The 10.8 kit I mentioned comes with an impact driver , it's not failed to unscrew any bolt I've used it on, including wheel nuts. They are also a lot smaller than the 18V versions so can get into tighter spaces.

​Thank you so much,amazon review also looking good.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions