Combination boiler plugged into a double electric socket

Posted 4th Feb
I have noticed that the combination boiler is plugged into the kitchen double socket. This has been like that for years but I have only noticed it as the double socket has become loose so it needs to be re-fixed.

I don't go around looking at boiler sockets as a norm but I would say that this looks unusual? Shouldn't the boiler have its own socket inside the boiler cupboard? The kitchen socket is just outside the boiler cupboard.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
mutley104/02/2020 20:50

i am the landlord so it is tenanted.

As a landlord I think you should take a long, hard look at yourself. Surface mounted sockets (that get knocked off by furniture) now a loose wall socket that the boiler is plugged into? Furthermore, it was fitted 11 years ago yet you've only just realised where it's plugged in? Don't you ever check your electrics for safety? A consumer unit that needs replacing (have you replaced it yet?). Then we have kitchen units with doors missing, loose coping stones atop garden walls - I pity your tenants with you as a landlord, I really do.
Edited by: "deeky" 4th Feb
mutley104/02/2020 20:40

i am the blooming landlord, lol

HAve a word with yourself
deeky04/02/2020 21:21

You sound like a responsible landlord

I'd like to think so. I like my tenants. They pay below the going rate but they never want to leave so I'm happy. They are worth their weight in gold are good tenants.
41 Comments
Normally hard wired into a fused socket I expect due to the Kw rating.
Probably check the specs of the boiler online to be certain
Hardwired here too
PennyTrader04/02/2020 20:23

Normally hard wired into a fused socket I expect due to the Kw …Normally hard wired into a fused socket I expect due to the Kw rating.Probably check the specs of the boiler online to be certain

this is what i have seen with boilers. there is a fused socket dedicated to the boiler and not a 3 pin plug in a kitchen socket! not sure if this even safe!
I'm no expert but surely that is not safe? We've just had a new boiler installed by not the most competent of plumbers and that was into a fused socket.
mutley104/02/2020 20:28

this is what i have seen with boilers. there is a fused socket dedicated …this is what i have seen with boilers. there is a fused socket dedicated to the boiler and not a 3 pin plug in a kitchen socket! not sure if this even safe!

It’s not to current standards. Check that the plug has the correct fuse rating. Usually 3 amps but check your boilers instructions.
That should be hard wired into a fused socket. Mine was installed and they plugged it into a socket. I called the council they did an emergency install and hard wire and said the installer should have known better because it was against regs.
Make of that what you will.
Get youor landlord to hard wire it and do the job properly.
mutley104/02/2020 20:28

this is what i have seen with boilers. there is a fused socket dedicated …this is what i have seen with boilers. there is a fused socket dedicated to the boiler and not a 3 pin plug in a kitchen socket! not sure if this even safe!

community.screwfix.com/thr…68/
Probably the building regs at the time said it was ok on a 3 pin plug.
These days though hard wired with the latest regs
Ours is wired to a switched spur in the cupboard.

Don't see why plugged into a 3 pin socket is unsafe though as it's not going to drawing over 13amp, more likely 3 or 5 amp fused. But more likely to accidentally switch it off.

Disclaimer - I've no experience with electrics, plumbing, gas fitting or life.
StonkwellBogtrotter04/02/2020 20:33

That should be hard wired into a fused socket. Mine was installed and they …That should be hard wired into a fused socket. Mine was installed and they plugged it into a socket. I called the council they did an emergency install and hard wire and said the installer should have known better because it was against regs. Make of that what you will.Get youor landlord to hard wire it and do the job properly.

HAve a word with yourself

When was the boiler installed?
shreddies04/02/2020 20:42

When was the boiler installed?

2008 so i am surprised it is still going to be honest. i got it installed when i bought the house. it is a worcester bosch 24i junior combination boiler.

Rented out by yourself or you live in it?
andynicol04/02/2020 20:49

Rented out by yourself or you live in it?

mutley104/02/2020 20:48

2008 so i am surprised it is still going to be honest. i got it installed …2008 so i am surprised it is still going to be honest. i got it installed when i bought the house. it is a worcester bosch 24i junior combination boiler.

It’s not unsafe as long as it has the correct fuse. Check your MIs for the boiler (3 amps more than likely)

I’m 99.9999% that boiler is a 3 amp fuse
Edited by: "shreddies" 4th Feb
shreddies04/02/2020 20:51

It’s not unsafe as long as it has the correct fuse. Check your MIs for the …It’s not unsafe as long as it has the correct fuse. Check your MIs for the boiler (3 amps more than likely)I’m 99.9999% that boiler is a 3 amp fuse

i have looked at the user manual for the boiler and it states that it should use 3 amp. the 3 pin plug probably has 3 amp fuse. it still doesn't look right as you would think it was a kettle or a toaster!

i think i got shafted when the gas engineer installed the boiler as he should have installed a fused switch dedicated to the boiler and not use the kitchen socket as an easy option.
mutley104/02/2020 20:59

i have looked at the user manual for the boiler and it states that it …i have looked at the user manual for the boiler and it states that it should use 3 amp. the 3 pin plug probably has 3 amp fuse. it still doesn't look right as you would think it was a kettle or a toaster! i think i got shafted when the gas engineer installed the boiler as he should have installed a fused switch dedicated to the boiler and not use the kitchen socket as an easy option.

You’re fine then.

This is when cheapest quote isn’t always the best one.

Ideally the gas man should have arranged an electrician to install a fuse spur and charge you accordingly.
shreddies04/02/2020 21:06

You’re fine then.This is when cheapest quote isn’t always the best one …You’re fine then.This is when cheapest quote isn’t always the best one.Ideally the gas man should have arranged an electrician to install a fuse spur and charge you accordingly.

he was a gas safe engineer and so he should have installed the fused socket. they are more than capable of installing sockets when they install boilers. he was employed to replace an old combination boiler and he just did what the previous boiler did and did not bother to change the connection. he was just lazy.
mutley104/02/2020 20:50

As a landlord I think you should take a long, hard look at yourself. Surface mounted sockets (that get knocked off by furniture) now a loose wall socket that the boiler is plugged into? Furthermore, it was fitted 11 years ago yet you've only just realised where it's plugged in? Don't you ever check your electrics for safety? A consumer unit that needs replacing (have you replaced it yet?). Then we have kitchen units with doors missing, loose coping stones atop garden walls - I pity your tenants with you as a landlord, I really do.
Edited by: "deeky" 4th Feb
deeky04/02/2020 21:12

As a landlord I think you should take a long, hard look at yourself. …As a landlord I think you should take a long, hard look at yourself. Surface mounted sockets (that get knocked off by furniture) now a loose wall socket that the boiler is plugged into? Furthermore, it was fitted 11 years ago yet you've only just realised where it's plugged in? Don't you ever check your electrics for safety? A consumer unit that needs replacing (have you replaced it yet?). Then we have kitchen units with doors missing, loose coping stones atop garden walls - I pity your tenants with you as a landlord, I really do.

I must nip found to my tenants and check theirs I had a new combi boiler fitted for them last year. The previous one was hard wired so I assume the new one is.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 4th Feb
psychobitchfromhell04/02/2020 21:17

I must nip found to my tenants and check theirs I had a new combi boiler …I must nip found to my tenants and check theirs I had a new combi boiler fitted for them last year. The previous one was hard wired so I assume the new one is.

deeky04/02/2020 21:21

I'd like to think so. I like my tenants. They pay below the going rate but they never want to leave so I'm happy. They are worth their weight in gold are good tenants.
In the new world of Licensed Landlords which is sweeping the country, you will need to be inspected and stuff up which is not up to standard will need to be sorted out. It cost us a lot of money and we are good landlords. Good news is the rents go up to compensate but our payback is several years.
An electrician is required to competently install a fuse spur.
shreddies04/02/2020 20:51

It’s not unsafe as long as it has the correct fuse. Check your MIs for the …It’s not unsafe as long as it has the correct fuse. Check your MIs for the boiler (3 amps more than likely)I’m 99.9999% that boiler is a 3 amp fuse

this
mutley104/02/2020 21:11

he was a gas safe engineer and so he should have installed the fused …he was a gas safe engineer and so he should have installed the fused socket. they are more than capable of installing sockets when they install boilers. he was employed to replace an old combination boiler and he just did what the previous boiler did and did not bother to change the connection. he was just lazy.

From the installation manual specifically applicable to your date of installation and a year either side:
"Mains supply to the boiler and system wiring must be through one common fused double pole isolator situated adjacent to the appliance"
although any other method via standard protected connection offering isolation does not necessarily mean it is unsafe.
psychobitchfromhell04/02/2020 21:26

I'd like to think so. I like my tenants. They pay below the going rate but …I'd like to think so. I like my tenants. They pay below the going rate but they never want to leave so I'm happy. They are worth their weight in gold are good tenants.

As are good landlords, I expect.
Unsure about that but I had installed last month and it has its own feed to the circuit board amd it’s own switch on the board.it is also fused wired on a box on the wall next to the boiler
Edited by: "ashmac" 4th Feb
shreddies04/02/2020 21:28

An electrician is required to competently install a fuse spur.

i am going to get an electrician round to re fix the loose socket so i will get him to install a fused spur. it seems like a stupid way of supplying power to the boiler, but i guess it was a cheapskate way.
mutley104/02/2020 21:47

i am going to get an electrician round to re fix the loose socket so i …i am going to get an electrician round to re fix the loose socket so i will get him to install a fused spur. it seems like a stupid way of supplying power to the boiler, but i guess it was a cheapskate way.

The boiler installer may not have had the correct certification to fit a spur. I often fit what is a relatively simple fused spur for a large gas safe firm because they don’t have qualified engineers of their own.

It is unlikely to be unsafe as a gas boiler is only electrically running the ignition, pcb and the pump, all together about 1-2 amps.
It is perfectly safe to use a plug and socket as the plug will have a 3amp fuse the same as a hardwired fused spur will, so in effect it is the same thing. The new regs wan't you to have a dedicated wire to the fuse box with it's own fuse.
It used to be fine boilers in the past where connected by a plug. But when part p came in as it's a fixed appliances and need continual earth it changed to a fused spur. Nothing wrong with having it on the plug but if you was to change it now then it would have to go on a 3amp fused spur.
I'm a landlord (in Scotland).

My own boiler (by choice) has a plug next to to, as it lets me keep the heating on but switched by a remote.

Legally the rented properties must have a gas safety inspection once a year by a registered gas inspector. So although they had the same set up as mine originally, if the regs now say otherwise, the report goes to the maintenance people who I get to give the place a once over at the same time & they arrange any changes needed to comply.

You also need to be registered as a landlord with the council, who can tell you what is legally expected of you.

You might also want to get a PAT tester in to give all electrics a once over too.

The most expensive reg changes recently were mains wired smoke detectors needed to be fitted (which in theory is a good thing, but they stop working if the tenants go on holiday & turn the water/power off, or if the tenant opts for a PAYG meter & has money issues (normally benefits)). So I shove in some ten year battery alarms too.
deeky04/02/2020 21:12

As a landlord I think you should take a long, hard look at yourself. …As a landlord I think you should take a long, hard look at yourself. Surface mounted sockets (that get knocked off by furniture) now a loose wall socket that the boiler is plugged into? Furthermore, it was fitted 11 years ago yet you've only just realised where it's plugged in? Don't you ever check your electrics for safety? A consumer unit that needs replacing (have you replaced it yet?). Then we have kitchen units with doors missing, loose coping stones atop garden walls - I pity your tenants with you as a landlord, I really do.

Agreed, ignorance is no excuse and landlords should ensure they know the current regulations/legislations.

I'm surprised this property has passed a required yearly GasSafe inspection......
Ask the experts on here or here is an idea just call the plumber out, or ask one on phone....
Bargainhead05/02/2020 08:56

Ask the experts on here or here is an idea just call the plumber out, or …Ask the experts on here or here is an idea just call the plumber out, or ask one on phone....

they would always say it needs to be changed to get the work!
andynicol05/02/2020 08:24

Agreed, ignorance is no excuse and landlords should ensure they know the …Agreed, ignorance is no excuse and landlords should ensure they know the current regulations/legislations.I'm surprised this property has passed a required yearly GasSafe inspection......

it is perfectly fine from the comments. as a landlord i have to get a gas safety certificate every year and that has never been raised as an issue. the boiler is also under a maintenance contract with british gas and they are very pedantic about anything that is not regular. if they say it is fine then there is no reason for me to go and look for problems.

it just looks odd as i have never seen a boiler connected to a socket with a 3 pin plug but it would appear that in the past they were connected like this and it was perfectly safe to do so. if it wasn't i guess british gas would not maintain the boiler and sign off the gas safety certificate.
mutley105/02/2020 09:35

they would always say it needs to be changed to get the work!

But your thinking it’s wrong anyway otherwise you wouldn’t of asked. You could always contact a few different ones. Or email the manufacturer and ask them or the firm who fit it. Plenty of professional advice to be sought, other than opinions what could be dangerous if wrong.

saying that after 11 years and no issues, there’s not a problem really, just change the socket it takes 5 minuets..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants