Combination microwave

Posted 14th Apr 2022
looking for a combo microwave, flat bed, freestanding.
Happy to hunt for prices, but would like reccomendations on brand and model please?
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    louiselouise
    I have a bit of experience with Combis - I bought boyf a Sharp R959SLMAA (and made a Deal post about it with good info I gathered from reviews, if you're interested! when it was £170 on Amazon/Robert Dyas last year - though I bought his elsewhere). This was rated the best Combination Microwave by Good Housekeeping goodhousekeeping.com/uk/…es/ in 2020 - their R959SLMAA review is from December 2016.

I LOVE the fact the Sharp is so huge (40L) inside. If you have physical issues it's much handier having a bona fide oven on a worktop. Yes, it goes back into Pre Heat function if you press Stop/Cancel on a program (tip: just open the door, then continue the program, if you want to check how something's cooking. The light doesn't really let you see through the door). And, it does use the grill element to initially get up to temperature and does it again when you stop a program (annoying), but as I say, there's ways around it, which I didn't realise till boyf showed me.

At home I have a (32L) Panasonic NN-CF853WBPQ "Premium" Combination Microwave (superseded by newer models, some of which have an additional Steam function), which doesn't seem to go into Pre Heat when you stop a program, though some have had issues with the non-stick interior. I haven't, but there are explicit instructions to use mild detergent inside and not oven cleaner or bleach. I wonder, given most of us don't read manuals, whether some reviewers missed that.

The cheapest-in-the-range Panasonic Combis (such as this and this) use the grill element continually along with the fan, as the "oven", and end up burning everything on top. Added to which, they are flakey QC-wise (I sent three back before I started looking at the models higher up in their range).

Things may have improved with the lesser Panasonic Combination ovens since then, but I think most cheaper Combis do this and people aren't aware till it's too late.

tryn2help15/04/2022 09:32

Comment deleted

I would say yes (that the Sharp R959SLMAA's build quality seems to have dipped since being taken over by Vestel, according to reviews), though I have no experience of the original - this model has been around for decades apparently! But we're nearly a year in, of almost-daily use (fingers crossed). The (Sharp) microwave is quite noisy, so it may not suit those who have a tiny flat and are bothered by noise.

Edit: As for the OP's requirements - the Sharp has a weird white ceramic turntable (a b!tch to keep clean, I'm always trying to give it a bleach bath!), so it's NOT a flatbed, though you can use the two supplied rectangular enamel trays for anything other than microwaving. The Panny Combi Premium models are flatbed.

Direct Vacuums has good prices for Combination Microwaves - some new, some graded, though I ended up sending boyf's Panasonic from there (my first attempt at a house warming present) back as the door was faulty.
    Thoughtful15/04/2022 08:00

There is a build in kit available if you don't want it on a counter top. …There is a build in kit available if you don't want it on a counter top. Unfortunately as with all these products the EU gimped them by banning the clock function in yet another misguided co called attempt to be 'green'. On the earlier models it was possible to use the oven on a timer to cook something as you would in a conventional oven but that feature is no longer available.

Sharp don't sell the EBR-9910 built-in kit any more (according to Amazon Q&As, anyway) - you could try ebay. I read just about every online review for the Sharp R959SLMAA before I bought it!

I'm very happy with mine (Panasonic NN-CF853WBPQ) though the non-stick interior (the Sharp is stainless steel) is something you need to be careful with (for reasons above).

I agree the (Sharp's) lack of a clock is annoying but hey, I love watches and it's not as if I never know what time it is! (edited)
    louiselouise
    yorkie1215/04/2022 10:14

Also he's not keen on the grill being used to pre heat the oven as it's …Also he's not keen on the grill being used to pre heat the oven as it's still hot when you put your baking in and the top shelf stuff tends to get burned.

(About the Sharp R959SLMAA) added an edit (I've been meaning to update my older comment anyway)

Edit April 2022: Boyf taught me this - if you open the door mid-program to check your items (don't press the Stop/Clear button), it doesn't go back into Pre Heat mode and you can continue with your Convection/Combi program.

If you wait till the Pre Heat function beeps, then put your food in, we've had no issues with burning.

As for cheaper combis (and the Delonghi you mentioned), I wonder if these cheaper combis (£100-ish) have improved? As I say, the cheaper Panasonic Combis I tested all used the grill continually with the fan, and burnt food on top. I had such a bad experience with those (along with QC issues) I raised my budget considerably. (edited)
    jameshothothot
    I had a de longhi one from Argos.. very good. Hopefully you can get in sales.

argos.co.uk/pro…199?clickSR=slp:term:delonghi%20argo%20combination%20microwave:3:28:1 (edited)
    Thoughtful
    I can reccomend this one Sharp R959SLMAA on Amazon at a high price of £250 but available much cheaper if you hunt around.

amazon.co.uk/Sha…c=1

It's a physically large appliance, but it comes with two oven shelves and will cook a full Sunday roast for at least two people. There is a build in kit available if you don't want it on a counter top. Unfortunately as with all these products the EU gimped them by banning the clock function in yet another misguided co called attempt to be 'green'. On the earlier models it was possible to use the oven on a timer to cook something as you would in a conventional oven but that feature is no longer available.
    yorkie12
    Thoughtful15/04/2022 08:00

I can reccomend this one Sharp R959SLMAA on Amazon at a high price of £250 …I can reccomend this one Sharp R959SLMAA on Amazon at a high price of £250 but available much cheaper if you hunt around.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-R959SLMAA-Combination-Microwave-Silver/dp/B00E7RWIDO/ref=asc_df_B00E7RWIDO/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231909287202&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11145169972501309361&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046656&hvtargid=pla-451618391037&psc=1&th=1&psc=1It's a physically large appliance, but it comes with two oven shelves and will cook a full Sunday roast for at least two people. There is a build in kit available if you don't want it on a counter top. Unfortunately as with all these products the EU gimped them by banning the clock function in yet another misguided co called attempt to be 'green'. On the earlier models it was possible to use the oven on a timer to cook something as you would in a conventional oven but that feature is no longer available.

Mate's got one of these and had it replaced after 7 months , microwave part stopped working. Also he's not keen on the grill being used to pre heat the oven as it's still hot when you put your baking in and the top shelf stuff tends to get burned.

The best types of combination ovens have the heating element and fan on the back wall , as the Delonghi at Argos in the first post. I do like Panasonic Combi ovens but they are expensive . (edited)
    louiselouise
    yorkie1215/04/2022 21:47

As I said the best combi ovens use an element and fan on the back wall , …As I said the best combi ovens use an element and fan on the back wall , the ones that use the grill (even Panasonic's) are not as good IMO

But there is a distinction. The Sharp does use the grill element to get the Convection function up to temperature on Pre Heat - thereafter - when it beeps to let you know it's ready, and you can put food in - it's the fan.

Cheaper Combination Microwaves have the quartz grill element + fan on all the time on Convection and that's what causes the burning food on top. The higher-end Panasonics don't do this.

I can only imagine your friend who used the Sharp maybe put their food in during the Pre Heat function, because burning food on top definitely hasn't happened when I use it. Or it was faulty. Using it right now!

I thought I explained it quite well, maybe I didn't. I would recommend the Sharp or one of the Premium Pannys, personally. Obviously have a good look at reviews before purchasing! (edited)
    yorkie12
    Evelynne15/04/2022 21:53

Any suggestions?

It's a bit of a lottery by the sounds of things , you either go cheap and take your chances or go for one of the top end Panasonics. Either way a 5 year warranty is worth paying for as none of the brands seem to be as reliable as they once were. I too have an old Panasonic flat bed combi and it's now around 7 years old and still going.
    Saffsam
    Another vote for Panasonic with fan!
    yorkie12
    louiselouise15/04/2022 15:16

(About the Sharp R959SLMAA) added an edit (I've been meaning to update my …(About the Sharp R959SLMAA) added an edit (I've been meaning to update my older comment anyway)Edit April 2022: Boyf taught me this - if you open the door mid-program to check your items (don't press the Stop/Clear button), it doesn't go back into Pre Heat mode and you can continue with your Convection/Combi program.If you wait till the Pre Heat function beeps, then put your food in, we've had no issues with burning.As for cheaper combis (and the Delonghi you mentioned), I wonder if these cheaper combis (£100-ish) have improved? As I say, the cheaper Panasonic Combis I tested all used the grill continually with the fan, and burnt food on top. I had such a bad experience with those (along with QC issues) I raised my budget considerably.

As I said the best combi ovens use an element and fan on the back wall , the ones that use the grill (even Panasonic's) are not as good IMO
    Evelynne Author
    yorkie1215/04/2022 21:47

As I said the best combi ovens use an element and fan on the back wall , …As I said the best combi ovens use an element and fan on the back wall , the ones that use the grill (even Panasonic's) are not as good IMO

Any suggestions?
    Evelynne Author
    louiselouise15/04/2022 22:00

But there is a distinction. The Sharp does use the grill element to get …But there is a distinction. The Sharp does use the grill element to get the Convection function up to temperature on Pre Heat - thereafter - when it beeps to let you know it's ready, and you can put food in - it's the fan.Cheaper Combination Microwaves have the quartz grill element + fan on all the time on Convection and that's what causes the burning food on top. The higher-end Panasonics don't do this.I can only imagine your friend who used the Sharp maybe put their food in during the Pre Heat function, because burning food on top definitely hasn't happened when I use it. Or it was faulty. Using it right now!I thought I explained it quite well, maybe I didn't. I would recommend the Sharp or one of the Premium Pannys, personally. Obviously have a good look at reviews before purchasing!

And a very mixed and contradictory bunch of reviews they are too
    People can't even decide if you cam combine the micro and convection lol
    And I thought it should be simple HA
    Would be much easier if I wasn't fussed about a flatbed
    Currently have a very old panasonic
    Its the second I've had and both have served me well
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants