Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Combo boiler diverter valve

Posted 27th Apr
I have a 'range tribune he' boiler tank and the plumber told me I have a faulty diverter valve. He told me roughly they cost £90 plus vat. I'm really not sure what I'm looking for so if anyone can point me in the right direction or offer advice about the quoted price it would be appreciated. Cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
Do you have the parts list for your boiler? Should be in the back of the instruction manual. Google the number / sku for the valve. What model is the boiler? Is it just range tribune he?

I paid 60 for mine but it is model dependent.

Having the parts list greatly increases your chances of ensuring its the correct part and getting it cheaper.
Edited by: "mogsog" 27th Apr
mogsog27/04/2020 16:55

Do you have the parts list for your boiler? Should be in the back of the …Do you have the parts list for your boiler? Should be in the back of the instruction manual. Google the number / sku for the valve. What model is the boiler? Is it just range tribune he? I paid 60 for mine but it is model dependent.Having the parts list greatly increases your chances of ensuring its the correct part and getting it cheaper.

Cheers thanks I'll look to see if I can find the instruction manual. All I know is on the tank it says 'range tribune he'.
40555767-0lago.jpgIt could look something like this and it may have some information on a sticker which tells you what it is. 2 port or 3 port and a manufacturers brand if you get the same brand its a straight swap and less hassle.
List the make and model of your boiler.
Then someone might get you a picture.
Also lookup the part yourself, I found my parts on ebay.
The boiler make is not relevant.
Thanks for the help
40557103-Ar4G2.jpg40557103-J6OEB.jpgI can't see a part list in the manual but I presume it's these.... My hot water is working its just the heating/ radiator side that is faulty..... Are they both the same box.....
PHILREC7727/04/2020 19:14

[Image] [Image] I can't see a part list in the manual but I presume it's …[Image] [Image] I can't see a part list in the manual but I presume it's these.... My hot water is working its just the heating/ radiator side that is faulty..... Are they both the same box.....

Yes, and they cost about £45 depending where you buy it.
I've had a quick look and I'm not to confident on the right part some are just the box and some are with the pipe on.... I'm actually at work so it's tricky to look. If you find any links for me I'd greatly appreciate it. If not thanks for the advice anyway
Probably only need to change the motor head - heatingpartswarehouse.co.uk/pro…wcB

Has the plumber actually inspected your system - as it is difficult to be identify the precise problem unless the controls have been fully checked?
Yes he sud it was a faulty diverter valve that's sticking
PHILREC7727/04/2020 19:14

[Image] [Image] I can't see a part list in the manual but I presume it's …[Image] [Image] I can't see a part list in the manual but I presume it's these.... My hot water is working its just the heating/ radiator side that is faulty..... Are they both the same box.....

They are the same motor heads that actuate the valves to open or close them. One is for heating and the other for hot water. When you turn your thermostat on, the one for heating will open (should make a small whirring noise), which allows water through and tells your boiler to fire up.

When you run your hot taps, the tank will send a signal to the other valve to open to fire the boiler to send hot water into the tank which in turn heats up water in the tank.

As suggested above, it is likely only the motor head that needs replacing, which simply requires turning power off and replacing. No need to drain down the system.

Sometimes however it’s the actual body of the valve, perhaps stuck due to sludge over time. That requires draining down, replacing then refilling which is a bit more work but simple for any plumber.

There should be a spring lever on there. If you are able to move that and hook it to the other end, your heating should come on and it means the problem is the head. If not, the valve.

If an engineer inspected it, they may think it’s the valve or may want to replace the whole thing in case. Part is £50-80inc vat depending on brand.
Yes both leavers are hooked on... When I turn the heating on the boiler display changes from 0 (standby) to C (supply heating) the pilot light fires up... Switches of then goes from C back to zero
PHILREC7727/04/2020 21:57

Yes both leavers are hooked on... When I turn the heating on the boiler …Yes both leavers are hooked on... When I turn the heating on the boiler display changes from 0 (standby) to C (supply heating) the pilot light fires up... Switches of then goes from C back to zero

They shouldn’t be hooked on as that forces them to stay open. when unhooked, it allows the thermostat to control the valve. The lever will become loose when thermostat is on and have resistance when it is off. Hooking on is to force it to stay open, only done for servicing/testing purposes. Could be the valve, pump, flow sensors or even a loose wiring connection but the engineer has said it’s the valve and if they’re expecting you to buy it then you can ask them if they want the whole valve or just the motorised head. If whole valve inc head, you can get like for like or another brand, all do the same.
22mm 2 port motorised valve, prob get it delivered next day by toolstation/screwfix.
Maybe there both in the lock position coz we have turned the boiler off as when he found the problem he managed to get the heat to work.. But then it wouldn't switch off... So we turn the boiler off and only turn it on to heat the water... I'll check the link and look for a motorised head and one with a valve too..
I though I'd put my 2 penneth worth in, the valves im seeing posted are port valves, not diverter valves imho.
A diverter valve is to control the heating of hot water to the taps, whereby a rubber diaphragm operates a switch to engage extra heating for said water.(they get holes in them and stop working the switch)
What was the original fault?
esar28/04/2020 01:07

I though I'd put my 2 penneth worth in, the valves im seeing posted are …I though I'd put my 2 penneth worth in, the valves im seeing posted are port valves, not diverter valves imho.A diverter valve is to control the heating of hot water to the taps, whereby a rubber diaphragm operates a switch to engage extra heating for said water.(they get holes in them and stop working the switch)What was the original fault?

The plumber said it was a faulty diverter valve.... Are the pics I posted not diverter valves?
PHILREC7728/04/2020 04:28

The plumber said it was a faulty diverter valve.... Are the pics I posted …The plumber said it was a faulty diverter valve.... Are the pics I posted not diverter valves?

Probably, it's just a diverter valve on my combi is a different thing altogether but colloquially may have the same description, hence my request about the original fault
Hi guys thanks for your help. Got in touch with the plumber he told me to buy the motor with the valve just in case.. Found it on ebay for just over 42 quid. Saved me a few quid.

Thanks again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions