Groups

Come join my BBQ thread, Tips, Recipes, Techniques

Just a general discussion, I have in the past always burnt everything i try to BBQ.
    I have just bought myself a Weber and I am hoping to learn how to grill properly so any suggestions and discussion welcome.

204 Comments

kyleg44

little bbq thread here aswell

Yeh , but that was about what bbq to buy ....op is asking for cooking tips !

shopstilldrops

Yeh , but that was about what bbq to buy ....op is asking for cooking … Yeh , but that was about what bbq to buy ....op is asking for cooking tips !

woah chillax...

i was just staing theres also another thread what could be some help to the op

Original Poster

kyleg44

little decent bbq thread here aswell

Thats what prompted me to start this one and buy a decent grill, everyone was moving off topic, but it was still interesting off topic, so I decided to start a dedicated one off.
    Edited by: "skellysgirl" 18th Apr 2011

Original Poster

Got the new one today, i was determined to use it, even though it has now got cold, so I am sat outside freezing, the food is on, and seems to be cooking really slow....I'm not going to get tea till about midnight.

Firm favorite with my family is buy the mini chicken breasts, get some Jamaican Jerk spice and mix the spice , some olive oil into a paste then add the chicken. Only take about three minutes a side on a BBQ. Taste great.

BBQ Rules
    We are about to enter the summer and BBQ season. Therefore it is
    important to refresh your memory on the etiquette of this sublime
    outdoor cooking activity, as it's the only type of cooking a 'real' man
    will do, probably because there is an element of danger involved.

When a man volunteers to do the BBQ the following chain of events are
    put into motion:

Routine...
    (1) The woman buys the food.
    (2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes
    dessert.
    (3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along
    with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man
    who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.

Here comes the important part:
    (4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

More routine....
    (5) The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.
    (6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He
    thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with
    the situation.

Important again:
    (7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT
    TO THE WOMAN.

More routine....
    (8) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins,
    sauces, and brings them to the table.
    (9) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:
    (10) Everyone PRAISES and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.
    (11) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed 'her night off.' And, upon
    seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing
    some women....

light it with your census paper

kingy58

BBQ Rules We are about to enter the summer and BBQ season. Therefore it … BBQ Rules We are about to enter the summer and BBQ season. Therefore it isimportant to refresh your memory on the etiquette of this sublimeoutdoor cooking activity, as it's the only type of cooking a 'real' manwill do, probably because there is an element of danger involved.When a man volunteers to do the BBQ the following chain of events areput into motion:Routine...(1) The woman buys the food.(2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makesdessert.(3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray alongwith the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the manwho is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.Here comes the important part:(4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.More routine....(5) The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.(6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. Hethanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals withthe situation.Important again:(7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS ITTO THE WOMAN.More routine....(8) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins,sauces, and brings them to the table.(9) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.And most important of all:(10) Everyone PRAISES and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.(11) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed 'her night off.' And, uponseeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasingsome women....

sounds like one of our BBQs at the friends.....

no matter whos house we go to, the men all sit round the BBQ and the women sit round the table

BBQs lmao the great british farce, just cook good food in the kitchen, I don't want a charred whatever it is or was looking thing thanks. Spend time in the garden with friends and a proper bonfire, sorted.
    Edited by: "Alfonse" 18th Apr 2011

if im honest i like my food a bit burtn on a bbq, just not so much so that it only tastes of charcoal

I cooked a shoulder of pork for 8 hours on mine last year, it tasted wonderful. Most people in this country don't 'bbq', they 'grill' - and badly

Google "pulled pork recipe" - It really is nice

Original Poster

Tonight did not go as successful as planned, i couldn't get the briquettes to light, i had even bought one of the chimneys, tried a few times, no luck so i shoved it in the corner and threw an easy light pack on the rack.

It lit up and then seemed to cool pretty quick, i put the coals on one side and the food on the opposite side of the food grill.
    Food was cooking really slow, so being impatient I put it above the coals, still slow, at that point i realized the chimney thing had finally worked and i had more grey charcoal, threy that on, still slow. It eventually cooked and in the last few min of cooking I realized where i went wrong, i did not open the air grill at the top which i was assuming was starving the coal of air and making it not bur correctly.
    Anyway, when i finally got the food, it was not dry nor burnt, and was fully cooked, so i suppose i managed what i set out to achieve. I just need more practice and figure out this Chimney lark.

Alfonse

BBQs lmao the great british farce, just cook good food in the kitchen, I … BBQs lmao the great british farce, just cook good food in the kitchen, I don't want a charred whatever it is or was looking thing thanks. Spend time in the garden with friends and a proper bonfire, sorted.

I am acually not too bad in the kitchen, and enjoy planning, preparing and trying new recipes, but even that can feel mundane at time, so i decided i would try learn just how to use the BBQ to the best of my ability. I enjoy being in the garden with my family, and it solves the problem of having to go in and cook, to me it's just using my current skills but basically a different medium. I have never been too good in the past...hopefully i will change.

sancho1983

I cooked a shoulder of pork for 8 hours on mine last year, it tasted … I cooked a shoulder of pork for 8 hours on mine last year, it tasted wonderful. Most people in this country don't 'bbq', they 'grill' - and badly :)Google "pulled pork recipe" - It really is nice

I will do ta, I am looking forward to the fun of trying beer can chicken, which seems to be a firm fav of BBQ-ers

Rub the sausage between your hands and place on the bbq until it spits.

transit

bet you say that to all the guys
    Edited by: "ants97" 18th Apr 2011

Original Poster

oO

transit

Jerk recipe from levi roots

12 chicken wings
    4 spring onions (green part only)
    1 scotch bonnet chilli (seeds left in)
    3cm piece of root ginger
    2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
    100ml cider vinegar
    3 tbsp runny honey
    2 tsp ground allspice
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tbsp olive oil
    Salt and pepper

Stick it all (excluding the wings obviously) in a food processor/blender, cover the wings with the mixture and leave to marinate through the day, although I generally do mine the night before.

I generally split the wings in to the wings and winglets if you see what I mean. That way it looks like there is more and they will cook a little quicker without burning.

Serve with oranges which have been quartered, dipped in brown sugar then bbqed.

youtube.com/wat…MrA

Smoked Beef Brisket, the uploader seems to have loads of other recipes.

Original Poster

Some nice recipes coming in, thank you for sharing

My effort this evening was a bit better the chimney worked first time, I was surprised at the amount of heat it kicked off.
    I tried the indirect heat thing again, still seemed very slow, just moved the food directly above again. I made chicken satay, it turned out well.

Original Poster

sancho1983

I'm going for beer can chicken … I'm going for beer can chicken later[url=http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-surreal-gourmet/beer-can-chicken-recipe/index.html]http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-surreal-gourmet/beer-can-chicken-recipe/index.html[/url]

Snap, it's been a bit overcast last few days, and i needed a day when we were off and in earlier enough. Yesterday we had to have fish, so today is beer can chicken day too, I'll keep you informed

when you cook burgers make sure you turn them often for even cooking!
    The turn only once idea is bloody rubbish.. although realy only applies if you have decent burgers!

Does the type of charcoal have a big impact on the taste? I bought a load from Asda when they were getting rid last summer but the food never seems to taste very smoky. I've seen Weber charcoal which is much more expensive. Is it worth it?
    I used a diy brick built barby.

Banned

Jetpac

when you cook burgers make sure you turn them often for even cooking!The … when you cook burgers make sure you turn them often for even cooking!The turn only once idea is bloody rubbish.. although realy only applies if you have decent burgers!

I think the turn only once idea is a guideline to make sure you don't turn it too soon and the burger falls apart. I've certainly had no issue only turning once if timed well.

Banned

I always cook with the hood down, so turn once always works for me....can't be @ssed with that constant maintenance of open lid barbying it dries the food out to much or doesn't cook the chicken enough in the middle.

Edited by: "slamdunkin" 23rd Apr 2011

deek72

Does the type of charcoal have a big impact on the taste? I bought a load … Does the type of charcoal have a big impact on the taste? I bought a load from Asda when they were getting rid last summer but the food never seems to taste very smoky. I've seen Weber charcoal which is much more expensive. Is it worth it? I used a diy brick built barby.

If you want smoky then you really need to put on soaked woodchips (weber do some) and have a lid.

@Skellysgirl - I'm a little concerned about keeping it hot enough for long enough, when I did the pulled pork I put lit coal on top of unlit coal and added more every couple of hours or so, this was fine as it needed cooking at 120 degrees or so for hours and hours. But it really needs to be at 160-180 for the chicken, for 2 hours.

Got people coming round at 5, might start it real early and then just keep it warm

Original Poster

Was discussing this on a thread yesterday, I find the asda briquettes are hard to get started and then as soon as they go grey they start to cool down quite quick, someone suggested mixing in lump wood charcoal and some briquettes. Asda sell the weber stuff but yes it is expensive, and if you plan on doing a lot of bbqing then it's not to great value. I am gonna hunt around for a big bag of lumpwood.
    deek72

Does the type of charcoal have a big impact on the taste? I bought a load … Does the type of charcoal have a big impact on the taste? I bought a load from Asda when they were getting rid last summer but the food never seems to taste very smoky. I've seen Weber charcoal which is much more expensive. Is it worth it? I used a diy brick built barby.

Jetpac

when you cook burgers make sure you turn them often for even cooking!The … when you cook burgers make sure you turn them often for even cooking!The turn only once idea is bloody rubbish.. although realy only applies if you have decent burgers!

deek72

Does the type of charcoal have a big impact on the taste? I bought a … Does the type of charcoal have a big impact on the taste? I bought a load from Asda when they were getting rid last summer but the food never seems to taste very smoky. I've seen Weber charcoal which is much more expensive. Is it worth it? I used a diy brick built barby.

I flip like a wally, I'm impatient and if I'm flipping, i feel like I'm doing something...must try to stop

sancho1983

If you want smoky then you really need to put on soaked woodchips (weber … If you want smoky then you really need to put on soaked woodchips (weber do some) and have a lid. @Skellysgirl - I'm a little concerned about keeping it hot enough for long enough, when I did the pulled pork I put lit coal on top of unlit coal and added more every couple of hours or so, this was fine as it needed cooking at 120 degrees or so for hours and hours. But it really needs to be at 160-180 for the chicken, for 2 hours.Got people coming round at 5, might start it real early and then just keep it warm

I'm gonna start at 3 i think, chicken is in the fridge may take it out a little earlier to get to room temp. I worry about the heat thing too, just gonna try dropping a few extra briquettes about half way through

Original Poster

deek72

Deem if you have a look at the thread mentioned here

kyleg44

It has a load of info in regards to decent bbqs, I would never have dreamed of spending so much but the webers seem highly rated

sancho1983

If you want smoky then you really need to put on soaked woodchips (weber … If you want smoky then you really need to put on soaked woodchips (weber do some) and have a lid. @Skellysgirl - I'm a little concerned about keeping it hot enough for long enough, when I did the pulled pork I put lit coal on top of unlit coal and added more every couple of hours or so, this was fine as it needed cooking at 120 degrees or so for hours and hours. But it really needs to be at 160-180 for the chicken, for 2 hours.Got people coming round at 5, might start it real early and then just keep it warm

Yeah, I'm sure a lid would help but it's a bit difficult with the diy brick barby. Might have a look and see if I could maybe concoct some sort of aluminum lid myself.

Loving all the BBQ recipies.

Just a quickie. When doing things like good old chicken drumsticks (for kids and nana's that don't like sauces / appreciate good flavours). Get a cheap spray bottle and fill with apple juice. When sprayed on the chicken, give it the caramelised look without any fancy sauces. Simple idea

Original Poster

deek72

Yeah, I'm sure a lid would help but it's a bit difficult with the diy … Yeah, I'm sure a lid would help but it's a bit difficult with the diy brick barby. Might have a look and see if I could maybe concoct some sort of aluminum lid myself.

Could you maybe modify a barrel?

It Would give you the height to cook tall things like chickens, maybe there some tutorials across the net if anyone has modded theirs?

Or maybe buy some sort of bell shaped concoction which you just put over the food

Edited by: "skellysgirl" 23rd Apr 2011

deek72

Does the type of charcoal have a big impact on the taste? I bought a … Does the type of charcoal have a big impact on the taste? I bought a load from Asda when they were getting rid last summer but the food never seems to taste very smoky. I've seen Weber charcoal which is much more expensive. Is it worth it? I used a diy brick built barby.

kyleg44

Only problem is that my 'diy' barby ended up costing about £300! Not sure if swmbo would be impressed if I bought another

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/deek72uk/IMAG0057.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/deek72uk/IMAG0058.jpg

Original Poster

Could you maybe brick over one of them and put a door on it?

I think they are called smokers
    Edited by: "skellysgirl" 23rd Apr 2011

skellysgirl

Could you maybe brick over one of them and put a door on it?

Actually you've just given me a brainwave! I'm sure I could just cut a sheet of aluminium or tin, and fold it just to rest on the one with the wood around it,(well, either of them for that matter) with the fold covering the front. Thanks skellysgirl! Brb, off to measure up

I've just bought some mesquite wood chips from homebase, only 4 quid with their 20% off

They're on! Will get up pics soon

Original Poster

I'm only doing one, it's not on yet, waiting for the chimney which is supposed to make it faster, but takes ages to get to work

I struggled with my chimney, found that burning 2 sheets of paper and then adding another 2 after 5 minutes works. Well it worked today.

I've managed to keep it at 160 or so for the last hour, just lighting the chimney to add the next load.

Original Poster

sancho1983

I struggled with my chimney, found that burning 2 sheets of paper and … I struggled with my chimney, found that burning 2 sheets of paper and then adding another 2 after 5 minutes works. Well it worked today. I've managed to keep it at 160 or so for the last hour, just lighting the chimney to add the next load.

It just burns the paper to ash, and then that's it nothing else happens, it's about the third attempt at the moment
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word survey23
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767299
      3. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …914
      4. What would be HELL to you?2227

See more discussions