Coming to terms that my old dog may be on its last legs

Found 22nd Mar 2013
My 11 year old labrador is getting frail. He suffers from arthritis which he had done since he was 6 but he seems to have slowed down a lot since last summer.

He can't go running with me other half anymore as he can't keep up and he can't walk as fast as me anymore when I take him for walks such that I have to wait for him to catch up.

I used to have to run after him last year as he walks so fast and he used to outrun my other half last year.

I am uncertain how I will be able to cope with having to put him down one day which I fear may be coming as our neighbour had to put their golden retriever down when it fell on the kitchen floor one day and could not get up.
Community Updates
Misc
44 Comments
Cruel story bro.

Sad times.

I cried my eyes out when I had to take my retriever to the vet when she was 13. But keeping up with you is the least of his worries. Just keep an eye to see if he's in pain or just can't walk at all. Then as painful as it will be, you will know its the right time to be kind.
I feel for you, it's a horrible position to be in.

But you love your dog too much to let him suffer so will do the right thing by him.

labradorforums.co.uk/fto…tml

That forum has similar dogs with arthritis and the treatments they have tried that may help your dog.

Their lives are shorter than ours but in those years they give us immeasurable joy and love. X
guv

Cruel story bro.Sad times.I cried my eyes out when I had to take my … Cruel story bro.Sad times.I cried my eyes out when I had to take my retriever to the vet when she was 13. But keeping up with you is the least of his worries. Just keep an eye to see if he's in pain or just can't walk at all. Then as painful as it will be, you will know its the right time to be kind.

yes, particularly for this time of the morning. we got up early today as we are worried about our dog.

i said to me other half that if the dog falls down and can't back up then i don't see this as a reason for putting it down as we don't put old people down when they can't walk anymore. we put them in a wheelchair so perhaps i could do this for me dog if he can't walk any more rather than put him down.

i could put tena men nappies on him so he can go to the toilet in the nappy. surely that is better than putting him down.
Mark2111

they give us immeasurable joy and love. X

That's what Churchill said! oO

Mutley..... Don't go thinking nappies. It's probably not possible and youd probably end up catching something.
guv

That's what Churchill said! oOMutley..... Don't go thinking nappies. It's … That's what Churchill said! oOMutley..... Don't go thinking nappies. It's probably not possible and youd probably end up catching something.

there was a free men tena thread recently and i found it laughable but then someone said they are getting it for their labrador who is incontinent as it fits their dog perfectly.

what can you possibly catch from nappies? nappy rash?
mutley1

there was a free men tena thread recently and i found it laughable but … there was a free men tena thread recently and i found it laughable but then someone said they are getting it for their labrador who is incontinent as it fits their dog perfectly.what can you possibly catch from nappies? nappy rash?

It's not the nappies I'd be worried about but the mess that's left on the dog to get rubbed into your carpet when it tries to crawl about the place!
Sad, had the same thing with my dog a long time ago, I got an alsatian/labrador from Battersea dog's home, he was about 2 they thought, was the perfect dog, he got cancer at 6 years old and they never bought him round from the op.
Got a nice cat now though! (but he's 14.....oO)

maybe we should put old people down & spare them this undignified ending to their life, it can't be very pleasant being wheeled around or parked in front of daytime tv & unable to wipe your own ar$e, please don't do this to your dog just let him drift off to sleep

mutley1

i said to me other half that if the dog falls down and can't back up then … i said to me other half that if the dog falls down and can't back up then i don't see this as a reason for putting it down as we don't put old people down when they can't walk anymore. we put them in a wheelchair so perhaps i could do this for me dog if he can't walk any more rather than put him down.i could put tena men nappies on him so he can go to the toilet in the nappy. surely that is better than putting him down.

cycleman

Sad, had the same thing with my dog a long time ago, I got an … Sad, had the same thing with my dog a long time ago, I got an alsatian/labrador from Battersea dog's home, he was about 2 they thought, was the perfect dog, he got cancer at 6 years old and they never bought him round from the op.Got a nice cat now though! (but he's 14.....oO)

that's a good age for a cat as their average life expectancy is even shorter than a dog i think.
mutley1

that's a good age for a cat as their average life expectancy is even … that's a good age for a cat as their average life expectancy is even shorter than a dog i think.

No cats live way longer than dogs !
goldmax

No cats live way longer than dogs !

i've never had a cat. a colleague has cats and his two died when they were 8 so i thought cats don't tend to live very long.
Don't worry too much about after the event because it gets easier, the worst bit for me was stood in the vets with my cat (Rambo) and having to make the decision but the vet (if he/she is a decent one) virtually makes up your mind for you , they know what the kindest thing to do is.
goldmax

Don't worry too much about after the event because it gets easier, the … Don't worry too much about after the event because it gets easier, the worst bit for me was stood in the vets with my cat (Rambo) and having to make the decision but the vet (if he/she is a decent one) virtually makes up your mind for you , they know what the kindest thing to do is.

i've only been to the vets twice as me other half normally takes our dog. but both times i've seen people crying because they have been told that their pet needs to be put down.
Trouble with animals is they can't really express how much pain they're in, Quality of life is probably the most important issue, Is it not more cruel to make them suffer more? In the wild they'd die naturally.

My dog is nearly 16! I cant believe she is still with us! I pay £212 every month for her medication!!!! She has arthritis, had a stroke, been viciously attacked by 2 rotties and had over 50 puncture wounds (that happened Christmas Day 4 years ago) is deaf and has cataracts BUT she can still see and that tail still waggs like mad - she still loves her walks, always eats her food and really is still doing just fine. I take her to the vets every 12 weeks for a full check up, last week we were there and the vet said her heart is still strong, her blood tests are all clear and just to continue enjoying her.

I got my dog when I was 28 before I was even a mother or met my husband! Now this year I will be 44 and that old dog has got me through many a hard time over the years - sounds strange saying that but she has!

I am not daft though and know her time now is very limited and I am absolutely DREADING it - it will totally break my heart. I also know I will never get another dog when she goes.
mutley1

we put them in a wheelchair so perhaps i could do this for me dog if he … we put them in a wheelchair so perhaps i could do this for me dog if he can't walk any more rather than put him down.i could put tena men nappies on him so he can go to the toilet in the nappy

mutters I start by feeling a bit sorry for you but then you go and say stuff like this. Don't you think it sounds a little selfish?
shauneco

Trouble with animals is they can't really express how much pain they're … Trouble with animals is they can't really express how much pain they're in, Quality of life is probably the most important issue, Is it not more cruel to make them suffer more? In the wild they'd die naturally.

yes you are right re then not being able to express if they are in pain - but I think most pet owners would know if their pet was uncomfortable, showing signs something not right - panting is a classic sign something is wrong.
Personally i would go with the vets best advice as long as you trust your local vet like we do.Rosie our dog is nearly 11 now and is a rescue mongrel from leicester she is a right mixture but basically ends up with a big body on short stubby legs.
So we knew she would start having arthitic problems in her later life.
So after advice from our vet he suggested steroids and tablets in her food and for the last 2 years it was like having a new rosie which you could see she was a happier dog.We know eventually even these will stop helping her get around and then the time will be right for a different course of action.
Good luck on whatever you decide.
Should add that my dog can still run and still chases cats and squirrels. Her mobility is good.
bossyboots

Should add that my dog can still run and still chases cats and squirrels. … Should add that my dog can still run and still chases cats and squirrels. Her mobility is good.

My cat Rambo used to be a real hunter, caught hundreds of rabbits and would eat them whole , he was a real character , had both his ears amputated because of skin cancer , everyone loved him , I adopted him after my grandad died
You should cherish your final moments and make sure you get some good pictures with your pet. Just think about the fact that your dog had a good life and accept that he/she has to go one day.
vimeo.com/819…217

Watch this, you won't regret it
Have you tried a joint bone that contains glucosamine ?

Works wonders on dogs that stuff
I have to make the decision soon too as my Labrador Duke has Kidney Disease hes only 6 and the vet said its now just quality of life for him . Hes such a happy bouncy dog that its hard to look and him and realise how ill he is , hes not eating as much as he used too but the kidney diet food smells gross anyway so I am giving him chicken with rice or pasta every other meal . I am worried in case hes in pain and just not showing it and sometimes when I look at him he looks so sad I wonder if I am doing the right thing but the next minute hes running around happy because he heard his lead .He was diagnosed in January and since then hes lost 10kg so its progressing faster than I expected and dread the day I have to make that decision to have him pts .
You gotta remember that at the age of 11 your dog is 77 in human years.

You cant expect them to be going running with you and chasing around like they are a puppy.

You need to look at what a vet can do in terms of medication to give them a better quality of life until something changes. As people have said some steriods can really help your dog out and improve their life, but its not permanent.

As for the nappy thing, I wouldnt bother, could you imagine how you'd feel? Your trained to go to the toilet in one way then have something strapped to you? Anyone that does that to their dog is being selfish.

I've got a 3 year old collie, but i know if the time comes and he doesnt show me the happy go lucky face that he has, goes off his food, doesnt enjoy walks, then its something that I'd need to discuss with a vet to see what they could do either medication or otherwise...

but god forbid thats is a long long time away - my parents have had dogs live until they where 18 and 14 so hoping for many many more years of love and funny times......

I expect that if you asked a lot of people that where in the situation that they where incontinent, poor quality of life and pain, being fed by someone, they would want to end it all, but thats a different subject....
bossyboots

Mutely is your dog on any medication for his arthritis? My dog has been … Mutely is your dog on any medication for his arthritis? My dog has been on Rimadyl for years now and it made a massive difference quite quickly. She is also on vivitonin which also has an amazing effect re my dogs vitality.

see here , hotukdeals.com/tag…377
goldmax

see here , post 3

Thanks - just read it. Mutley why have you got two threads on the go today re your dog. All medication has risks. Anyway am off out in this thick snow to walk the dog
Aww feel for you Mutley, labs are renowned for suffering with there legs :(. We had to put our cat to sleep after she had a stroke at 13 , was horrible to do but was the right thing to do , I have always said an animal can be put out of misery if suffering unlike us humans .

On a happier note , we have just got a new pup for my Daughter who has become a teenager today ( yeah god help me ) and having a pup is bloomin harder than having a baby lol .
We recently had to put down our family Labradoor who was 18 and still acted like a puppy up until a few months ago. Sadly he deteriorated quite quickly and it was the kindest thing to do.

My sister is 22 this year, we got him when she was 4 - she's heartbroken.

A sorry situation that no-one wants to be in.

You have to be brave, strong and selfless and do what is kindest for your doggie, however much it breaks your heart.

It's never easy to say goodbye to a member of the family, but try and put yourself in his place ~ how would you want things to be?

We all feel for you Mutley.
Our little furry companion sadly had to be laid to rest a few weeks ago and boy it was a hard thing to do. It still is, especially when our whole life and house was structured around the furriest member of the family. You have to think what is best for your dog and not your own selfish desire to keep them around.

Although not the same illness, ours had a tumour on her heart which brought about from a hyper active dog to a sudden slowness to her walking then we were hit what was like a sledge hammer to the heart. We had no choice, after exhausting medication and tests options, well not anything that wouldn't cause our friend further immense pain. So after 12 great activity filled years she was laid to rest.

Feel for you and understand your pain.

Really sorry to hear that Mutley, sometimes losing a pet can be worse than a person

I would have to agree with some of the previous posts though, when it comes to life, it's quality that matters, not quantity. I don't want to be harsh but, f the animal is in a lot of pain you have to ask yourself, are you keeping it alive for it's sake, or yours
Feel for you op, don't do anything daft/selfish though re the tena, that is not the way to treat a faithful friend.

Fourlegs is 11 this year.
As a lab, he's been great with everyone and never been a problem (not for me anyway!) We got him from a local amateur breeder, with full KC pedigree history and good hip scores.

Love him to bits really, he went downhill last year (off his food and moped like Eeyore) and £200 later the vet said can't find anything wrong with him?!
I changed his diet to a senior food - massive change!!!
Back to his usual bouncy self.
His hearing is not as good as it was, I hear postie but he only reacts when the post hits the mat!

Here's him in the snow 3 years ago...
http://s5.postimg.org/tkjn6flk3/SNC00010.jpg
Also found out last night a friend had their dog (Scooby - yes I know!) put down.
They heard someone being really sick and thought it was one of the kids, nope?
Went downstairs to find Scooby had crapped all over the place, was being violently sick and pulling himself to his bed in the garage from the entrance hall.
The dog thought he was going to get told off for the mess but his hind legs were just limp and flacid - tail still wagged though!!!
Pulled himself into his bed, head to one side and panting, drooling away.

Vet said a stroke, nothing more to be done.
He was a rescue mongrel dog, lovely really, nobody really sure how old Scooby was, full adult when they got him so at least 14?

Cat wanders around like king of the castle now - I'll take Hades round just to remind it who's in charge!
Money is a big key in what people are able to do to keep a pet going , these days many are dumped or taken to a shelter because the expense can go through the roof , 100,000 dogs a year are dumped , mutley as we all know is stinking rich but others have to choose between feeding/treating their dog or family . I just spent £350 on my cat to have his thyroid gland taken out , worth every penny though but only because I was able to pay for it , he is totally transformed now and much happier .
shopstilldrops

and having a pup is bloomin harder than having a baby lol .

Yeah. I always thought women exaggerated about the pain in having babies
My dogs getting on a bit and i've noticed he's a little slower and prone to more medical issues. Had an issue with his eye the other week that had us a bit worried. Don't know if I could get another dog after he's gone.

One thing I would say to any new dog owners is get pet insurance. We never bothered as we had never had a pet before so didn't plan ahead and we were fine for 8 years, but then he was stung by a bee (allergy) and it cost us over a £1000 to get him fit again.
I hate how dog lifespans are so low. Its like having a family member die every 10 years or so.
hapless

Also found out last night a friend had their dog (Scooby - yes I know!) … Also found out last night a friend had their dog (Scooby - yes I know!) put down.They heard someone being really sick and thought it was one of the kids, nope?Went downstairs to find Scooby had crapped all over the place, was being violently sick and pulling himself to his bed in the garage from the entrance hall.The dog thought he was going to get told off for the mess but his hind legs were just limp and flacid - tail still wagged though!!!Pulled himself into his bed, head to one side and panting, drooling away.Vet said a stroke, nothing more to be done.He was a rescue mongrel dog, lovely really, nobody really sure how old Scooby was, full adult when they got him so at least 14?Cat wanders around like king of the castle now - I'll take Hades round just to remind it who's in charge!

Thats really heartbreaking Especially when you said the dog still tried to wag his tail despite the fact he was obviously dying. When my dog got attacked by the rottweillers she was unconscious but was starting to come round at the vets - she was in a right state, covered in blood and puncture wounds all over her body but she was trying to wag her tail - I was bawling my eyes out.

One thing though that is very noticeable now with my old dog...........she sleep SOOOOO much more now and omg the SNORING! Its so loud!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants