Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Comment Posts That Are Niggling Me!

Posted 28th JanEdited by:"sotv"
So many supermarket deals that are posted on here, get comments lately saying, cheaper at Poundland or B&M or Homebargains etc

This may well be true sometimes, but they can't be substantiated online most of the time, so you can't confirm whether it is cheaper or the same quantity either. Or even if it's true.

Now people are posting just buy the generic brands of the product posted as they are cheaper there, of course they are, but that would be like saying don't buy Heinz Beans buy Tesco's own, when you post a Heinz deal, the comment has no relevance to the deal that has been posted.

Instead of posting these unsubstantiated comments in deals, provide proof. I for one would happily expire a deal, I had posted, that was proven cheaper elsewhere in that case

Anyway rant over, feel better for it already, thanks for reading
Community Updates
Misc
18 Comments
I actually prefer some own brand stuff over the high price products.
Arto28/01/2020 13:24

I actually prefer some own brand stuff over the high price products.

i do, I shop mostly at Lidl now. My point of the post was to highlight all these comments, on here now., that provide no proof or ability to check against a deal posted on the site.

They should try posting a deal on here that can't be substantiated based on the comment they have posted and see how long it is before it is taken down.

Always thought this site worked on proven facts/deals not hearsay.
Edited by: "sotv" 28th Jan
sotv28/01/2020 13:28

i do, I shop mostly at Lidl now. My point of the post was to highlight all …i do, I shop mostly at Lidl now. My point of the post was to highlight all these comments, on here now., that provide no proof or ability to check against a deal posted on the site.They should try posting a deal on here that can't be substantiated based on the comment they have posted and see how long it is before it is taken down.Always thought this site worked on proven facts/deals not hearsay.

Is it weird that I prefer Smart Price chicken nuggets over any other?
sotv28/01/2020 13:28

i do, I shop mostly at Lidl now. My point of the post was to highlight all …i do, I shop mostly at Lidl now. My point of the post was to highlight all these comments, on here now., that provide no proof or ability to check against a deal posted on the site.They should try posting a deal on here that can't be substantiated based on the comment they have posted and see how long it is before it is taken down.Always thought this site worked on proven facts/deals not hearsay.

HUKD mods are way ahead of you. You should be seeing far less of those "cheaper-at" comments now that the HUKD ban on a supermarket that rhymes with Wazda has been implemented.
Good rant..
Seen a shorty post about this earlier.
You'll need to be careful here @sotv, with the number of Tesco deals you're posting, you may well be hunted down as a Tesco employee by the mods and get Tesco banned just like Asda 😜
Edited by: "RYANdeals" 28th Jan
RYANdeals28/01/2020 14:05

You'll need to be careful here @sotv, with the number of Tesco deals …You'll need to be careful here @sotv, with the number of Tesco deals you're posting, you may well be hunted down as a Tesco employee by the mods and get Tesco banned just like Asda 😜

Haven't got the right temperament to work with the public

No big Tesco within 10 miles of me, online only for me every couple of months. Lidl & Morrisons is where I shop instore. But Tesco, have got some good deals on at the moment and even though I don't go in a shop, I know they're doing some good deals at the moment.
furbars28/01/2020 13:53

Seen a shorty post about this earlier.

This is like the sun Vs the guardian.
To clarify;

If you post a deal for £2 at Sainsburys and I saw it yesterday for £1.50 in Home Bargains you want me to drive back down there and take a photo, then upload it, and then comment "it is cheaper in Home Bargains".

Personally, I would prefer that people advised that they have seen it cheaper elsewhere
I always like the comments which say “you could get it cheaper last week” even though that deal had now ended.
This place isn't entirely about being the cheapest available. It's about a good deal. If a product at shop X is at a good price, a mile away, but the same product at shop Y has it slightly cheaper, but 50 mile roundtrip, for me, I would class both as a hot deal.
If this is about undermining a deal and effecting a deals temp, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Now that's out of the way. This place is about sharing good deals. We shouldn't be worried about the possibility of a better price, or a better service, warranty, etc, elsewhere. Embrace it I say
Edited by: "rev6" 28th Jan
I never travel to a shop on the strength of a deal unless it's insanely good, instead it is a guide of what to look for if I'm nearby. Therefore it doesn't really matter if proof is given or not to me, even if it is cheaper they may be OOS when I got there so I'd hardly base other purchasing on it.
smashed28/01/2020 14:22

To clarify;If you post a deal for £2 at Sainsburys and I saw it yesterday …To clarify;If you post a deal for £2 at Sainsburys and I saw it yesterday for £1.50 in Home Bargains you want me to drive back down there and take a photo, then upload it, and then comment "it is cheaper in Home Bargains".Personally, I would prefer that people advised that they have seen it cheaper elsewhere

I am sure your are a honest person, but with all the trolls on here, anyone could post any old unsubstantiated claim in comments, As I say post it without a link and see how long it lasts

For me this site as always been about verification and proof of a deal. No proof of matching item in size and quantity etc it is just hearsay.

Appears it is just me that is bothered about it anyway. So all points taken in the thread and chilled again now.
Edited by: "sotv" 28th Jan
rev628/01/2020 14:33

This place isn't entirely about being the cheapest available. It's about a …This place isn't entirely about being the cheapest available. It's about a good deal. If a product at shop X is at a good price, a mile away, but the same product at shop Y has it slightly cheaper, but 50 mile roundtrip, for me, I would class both as a hot deal. If this is about undermining a deal and effecting a deals temp, I really wouldn't worry about it.Now that's out of the way. This place is about sharing good deals. We shouldn't be worried about the possibility of a better price, or a better service, warranty, etc, elsewhere. Embrace it I say

I fully agree which was why I was quite vocal about the daft "market leading price" posting rule. If say Heinz Beans in Tesco 4 pack for £1.29, but 99p in Morrison's, brilliant, but I may never see the Tesco deal (as would be removed since not market leading price) and we don't have Morrisons in N.Ireland! As you pointed out also, others having a nearest of 50 mile trip etc, both deals should be allowed.
As for the OP's question, personally I have no objection to point out, but it might be a product that I seen but wasn't interested in, hence wouldn't have taken a picture and had "proof". Upon saying that I do normally say "I think I seen" lol.
I always assumed that when people post these comments they mean exactly the same product. I have made these comments occasionally for example a lego set was posted to be £37 on amazon but I saw it for £30 in b&m a few hours earlier. Got no proof as I'm not going to walk back there to take a picture and it may not be of use to everyone and certainly wouldn't expect a post to be expired over that.
I don't see a problem with someone saying the same product is cheaper, or even same or very similar price somewhere else, it also doesn't make the original deal a bad deal, unless there is a significant price difference, so why would you want to expire it.

Not everyone will have both stores conveniently close to them, and even if they do, they may be planning on a trip to one or other of the stores, so would make sense to pick up the deal item from there if the prices are similar.
Edited by: "melted" 29th Jan
This is a money saving site, so if you find a product cheaper somewhere else and let other members know, you're simply relaying useful and relevant info? There's no need to Expire your original thread (?).

It's all about how people sharing information present it. It's not particularly friendly when someone barges onto a thread with an attitude saying "lulz, COLD, cheaper elsewhere, bye" - that's when it's inappropriate.

Most people have good intentions (IRL and online) and aren't trying to burst your bubble or play power games - there's usually not a great deal of thought gone into flippant internet posts.

I did have one HUKD member (can't even remember her username) go psycho on me when I said I saw it cheaper somewhere else!

Personally, I'm pretty scrupulous about providing shelf label or receipt photos, and even when I can't, I'd assume members would trust me to be honest - I've been here long enough. I hope.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 29th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants