Compact camera point & shoot buying advice please

Posted 29th Nov
I'll hopefully be in the market soon for a new camera probably £200-300 price bracket.
there are so many options now I'm a bit bamboozled so would like some tips on what features to look out for and any particular brand or model recommendations.
I enjoy taking photos and I like them to look good, but for me it's about going for a walk and snapping what I see, photos of the family on a day out, holidays etc. will also be used indoors and at night.
I'm looking for something that will give me nice close up shots for when I'm on my walks spotting plants and insects but also a good quality long range zoom.
something compact and robust enough that I can put it in a little case, carry it on my wrist, in my pocket or handbag.

I had a look in Currys at some options - some had a pop out screen, this made me wonder is it just another thing to break and should I avoid it? touch screens, also some with pop up flash.

I'm not after the latest model, just the best I can buy for my money that will last me a few years and give pleasing shots in most situations without having to always play with settings (some good pre-settings would be handy).
my last camera was a nice little Samsung which lasted years and was good in its time, cost around £120 but it's failing and the shots just aren't all that now. I'm hoping for an upgrade that will last me another few years.

any advice, suggestions, tips or nods to specific cameras/brands that last from anyone in the know would be really appreciated, and perhaps where to get the best deals thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Try asking here, there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people in there.

hotukdeals.com/dis…792
Just buy a decent phone
Checked in to see the just buy a phone comments
have a search through on here
Type camera in search then change from deals to discussion
The only camera that I can think of that fits all your requirements for that price range is Panasonic TZ100.

The Panasonic TZ100 has a large zoom range of 25-250mm (35mm equiv.) so it would be good for wide shots and close-ups.
Has a viewfinder, flash, touchscreen menu and 4K video. The only downside is that it does not have a flip screen for selfies (but you can do that with your phone).

You can get it refurbished from the official Panasonic eBay store for £300, comes with 1 year warranty, if an eBay code comes along you may be able to get 5-10% off of that price:
ebay.co.uk/itm…239

The other cameras that fit your requirements are a bit out of your price range, Panasonic TZ200, Canon G5X II, RX100M6 or RX100M7 (all very expensive). And even those with a shorter zoom range are still expensive: RX100M3, RX100M4, RX100M5 or RX100M5A.

For compacts in general, I would only consider cameras with a 1-inch sensor or larger, otherwise I would just tell them to use their phone (their phone being any from the Pixel line or the any variant of the iPhone 11).
Mystogan29/11/2019 15:19

The only camera that I can think of that fits all your requirements for …The only camera that I can think of that fits all your requirements for that price range is Panasonic TZ100.The Panasonic TZ100 has a large zoom range of 25-250mm (35mm equiv.) so it would be good for wide shots and close-ups.Has a viewfinder, flash, touchscreen menu and 4K video. The only downside is that it does not have a flip screen for selfies (but you can do that with your phone).You can get it refurbished from the official Panasonic eBay store for £300, comes with 1 year warranty, if an eBay code comes along you may be able to get 5-10% off of that price:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TZ100EBK-Compact-Camera-20-1MP-10x-Optical-Zoom-Black/202786244239The other cameras that fit your requirements are a bit out of your price range, Panasonic TZ200, Canon G5X II, RX100M6 or RX100M7 (all very expensive). And even those with a shorter zoom range are still expensive: RX100M3, RX100M4, RX100M5 or RX100M5A.For compacts in general, I would only consider cameras with a 1-inch sensor or larger, otherwise I would just tell them to use their phone (their phone being any from the Pixel line or the any variant of the iPhone 11).

Thank you I will look at that and see what my budget is when I come to buy

What would be the compromise in that price range and are there any you'd recommend? The photos would purely be for me and to share with friends, I just enjoy photographing things that take my interest, catch my eye and making memories (if I liked any enough I may even print and frame at home) but I get frustrated at a bar photo quality also. But for that it's not worth spending crazy money either
Haylhoo29/11/2019 16:05

Thank you I will look at that and see what my budget is when I come to buy …Thank you I will look at that and see what my budget is when I come to buy What would be the compromise in that price range and are there any you'd recommend? The photos would purely be for me and to share with friends, I just enjoy photographing things that take my interest, catch my eye and making memories (if I liked any enough I may even print and frame at home) but I get frustrated at a bar photo quality also. But for that it's not worth spending crazy money either

For an all in one solution that is compact, I would save up the money for the Panasonic TZ100.

If you are compromising, the other point and shoot cameras would be the Panasonic LX15 which if you get 2nd hand it's around £200-300. This has no viewfinder but has a flippable touchscreen. Also, another camera you could get is the RX100M3 2nd hand for around £200-300, this has a viewfinder and flippable screen but it is not touchscreen. The range on both these is limited to 24-70mm (in 35mm terms), much less compared to the TZ100's 25-250mm.

But if you want to compromise further, you can get a Panasonic GX800 with 12-32mm for £200 refurbished on Panasonic eBay: ebay.co.uk/itm…367 (If it goes out of stock some more usually appear throughout the week).

The GX800 is an interchangeable lens camera (ILC), so is slightly bulkier and has no viewfinder but the touchscreen interface is excellent, the screen is also flippable for selfies. The lens is alright but there is not much range to it, it is a 24-64mm in 35mm equiv. focal length, and you will not get as a pronounced blur background on photos becuase the aperture range f3.5-5.6. But you have the option of changing the lens in the future if you wish. You will probably need to learn to shoot and modify RAW files to get the max out of it, as the plain JPEG files you get from it are just okay.

In general, I advise to shoot JPEG+RAW on any camera even if you are doing simple photos. This is because you can go back to edit the RAW if the JPEG does not turn out that good, sometimes you might be able to save it. You'd be surprise how you can salvage a photo by just learning how to edit a RAW file. To edit RAW, Lightroom is the most popular software (also has a mobile app), but is expensive at a yearly subscription of around £80. An alternative is Affinity Photo with a one off payment, on sale it's around £20-34. For free RAW editors you can use RawTherapee or Darktable.
Mystogan29/11/2019 18:11

For an all in one solution that is compact, I would save up the money for …For an all in one solution that is compact, I would save up the money for the Panasonic TZ100.If you are compromising, the other point and shoot cameras would be the Panasonic LX15 which if you get 2nd hand it's around £200-300. This has no viewfinder but has a flippable touchscreen. Also, another camera you could get is the RX100M3 2nd hand for around £200-300, this has a viewfinder and flippable screen but it is not touchscreen. The range on both these is limited to 24-70mm (in 35mm terms), much less compared to the TZ100's 25-250mm.But if you want to compromise further, you can get a Panasonic GX800 with 12-32mm for £200 refurbished on Panasonic eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DC-GX800KEBK-Compact-Digital-Camera-4K-16MP-12-32mm-Lens-Black/202832196367 (If it goes out of stock some more usually appear throughout the week). The GX800 is an interchangeable lens camera (ILC), so is slightly bulkier and has no viewfinder but the touchscreen interface is excellent, the screen is also flippable for selfies. The lens is alright but there is not much range to it, it is a 24-64mm in 35mm equiv. focal length, and you will not get as a pronounced blur background on photos becuase the aperture range f3.5-5.6. But you have the option of changing the lens in the future if you wish. You will probably need to learn to shoot and modify RAW files to get the max out of it, as the plain JPEG files you get from it are just okay.In general, I advise to shoot JPEG+RAW on any camera even if you are doing simple photos. This is because you can go back to edit the RAW if the JPEG does not turn out that good, sometimes you might be able to save it. You'd be surprise how you can salvage a photo by just learning how to edit a RAW file. To edit RAW, Lightroom is the most popular software (also has a mobile app), but is expensive at a yearly subscription of around £80. An alternative is Affinity Photo with a one off payment, on sale it's around £20-34. For free RAW editors you can use RawTherapee or Darktable.

Thank you again. I shall read and suggest this and use it when looking at what I can afford. Much appreciated!
Haylhoo29/11/2019 18:24

Thank you again. I shall read and suggest this and use it when looking at …Thank you again. I shall read and suggest this and use it when looking at what I can afford. Much appreciated!

It's safe to assume you don't have a high-end phone? I haven't had a camera for a few years now but have still got 100s of decent holiday pics.
deeky29/11/2019 18:29

It's safe to assume you don't have a high-end phone? I haven't had a …It's safe to assume you don't have a high-end phone? I haven't had a camera for a few years now but have still got 100s of decent holiday pics.

I've got loads of lovely holiday pics etc and many other nice pics, but the quality for lighting etc isn't what I want nor is the zoom good enough.
However I'm very happy with my phone and the camera for the shots it does take, I want a camera for when I intend to take better pics.
Haylhoo29/11/2019 18:37

I've got loads of lovely holiday pics etc and many other nice pics, but …I've got loads of lovely holiday pics etc and many other nice pics, but the quality for lighting etc isn't what I want nor is the zoom good enough.However I'm very happy with my phone and the camera for the shots it does take, I want a camera for when I intend to take better pics.

Id try M/43 if you dont mind carrying a ILC system around. There are some cheap lens's that return fantastic results as do many of the bodies.
Also if you dont mind the size there are APSC DSLR's that produce fantastic images at incredibly low prices.
It sounds like youve seen the evidence yourself regarding phones, ive done a lot of comparisons and taken more pictures than I , erm, windows is still counting.... and my cheapest ILC with the cheapest lens you can buy on it is so far beyond what any phone can do its not even worth talking about.

The 1" cameras are great for there size and the f1.8 or better lens's can push them into competing with kit lens'd M43 for non optimal light quality. However they are expensive being the main selling point is the size vs ILC and Sensor size vs Phone.
I hardly use mine, but its useful on occasions.
r200ti29/11/2019 19:44

Id try M/43 if you dont mind carrying a ILC system around. There are some …Id try M/43 if you dont mind carrying a ILC system around. There are some cheap lens's that return fantastic results as do many of the bodies. Also if you dont mind the size there are APSC DSLR's that produce fantastic images at incredibly low prices. It sounds like youve seen the evidence yourself regarding phones, ive done a lot of comparisons and taken more pictures than I , erm, windows is still counting.... and my cheapest ILC with the cheapest lens you can buy on it is so far beyond what any phone can do its not even worth talking about. The 1" cameras are great for there size and the f1.8 or better lens's can push them into competing with kit lens'd M43 for non optimal light quality. However they are expensive being the main selling point is the size vs ILC and Sensor size vs Phone.I hardly use mine, but its useful on occasions.

Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions