Companies you’re going to boycott when things return to normal

Posted 7th May
Game added to the list for charging scalpers prices on games consoles. One or two airlines too for me. Who will you be avoiding after things go back to normal/new normal?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Let's be honest, first sign of a sale, people's boycott principle will be out of the window.
Products manufactured in China, so far as I can help it. They were warned years ago that exactly this sort of scenario would occur if they didn't put controls on their wet markets. They were warned in November of the emergence of COVID-19. They surpressed and ignored, and subsequently exploited the situation they caused extensively.

Also, Wetherspoons.
Wetherspoons. Yeah, they're cheap, but so's the owner who treated his staff like crap.
87 Comments
Wetherspoons. Yeah, they're cheap, but so's the owner who treated his staff like crap.
keeganland07/05/2020 15:35

Wetherspoons. Yeah, they're cheap, but so's the owner who treated his …Wetherspoons. Yeah, they're cheap, but so's the owner who treated his staff like crap.

Ah yes, definitely me too there. The Mike Ashley of the pub industry
Products manufactured in China, so far as I can help it. They were warned years ago that exactly this sort of scenario would occur if they didn't put controls on their wet markets. They were warned in November of the emergence of COVID-19. They surpressed and ignored, and subsequently exploited the situation they caused extensively.

Also, Wetherspoons.
Any company whose CEO doesn’t email me personally saying they’ve missed me and want me back. They were quick enough to say goodbye and that they were thinking of me.
If you read the original thread on here about wetherspoons,even people who work there say it was misreported/quoted /misinterpreted what he said.
Ferrari, prices are just extortionate.
Amazon , suddenly they are all baby wipes , hand sanitiser and job lots of chocolate
Pájaro07/05/2020 15:39

Products manufactured in China, so far as I can help it. They were warned …Products manufactured in China, so far as I can help it. They were warned years ago that exactly this sort of scenario would occur if they didn't put controls on their wet markets. They were warned in November of the emergence of COVID-19. They surpressed and ignored, and subsequently exploited the situation they caused extensively. Also, Wetherspoons.

Agree with you there. Will be tricky though as most things are made there now. Even when they say 'Made in Britain' what they often mean is that it is just assembled in Britain from bits made in China. Would be great to bring back the jobs to the UK to make up for the jobs we have lost (or are going to lose) thanks to that bloody virus!
Pájaro07/05/2020 15:39

Products manufactured in China, so far as I can help it. They were warned …Products manufactured in China, so far as I can help it. They were warned years ago that exactly this sort of scenario would occur if they didn't put controls on their wet markets. They were warned in November of the emergence of COVID-19. They surpressed and ignored, and subsequently exploited the situation they caused extensively. Also, Wetherspoons.

Yep stick to good old London taxi cabs, going down to Pizza Express in your MG, getting your Energy from Wales and West Utilities, when the pubs open a lovely pint of Green king IPA..............oh hang on,aren't they are all owned by the Chinese.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 7th May
I watched the video on YouTube ages ago that showed the Wetherspoons boss pi**ed up having a moan. It didn’t say he wasn’t paying workers if I recall.

Not been happy with amazons yo-yo pricing to be fair. Since I have a years prime though I won’t write them off.

Biggest change for my family is going to be the continued use of the local butcher instead of supermarkets.
joyf453607/05/2020 16:08

Yep stick to good old London taxi cabs, going down to Pizza Express in …Yep stick to good old London taxi cabs, going down to Pizza Express in your MG, getting your Energy from Wales and West Utilities, when the pubs open a lovely pint of Green king IPA..............oh hang on, they are all owned by the Chinese.

Yep, well on their way to world domination... and we have all contributed to that.
fearona07/05/2020 15:41

If you read the original thread on here about wetherspoons,even people who …If you read the original thread on here about wetherspoons,even people who work there say it was misreported/quoted /misinterpreted what he said.

That doesn't matter in today's world. All that matters is a winning a "Gobby gotcha"
TUI - without a shadow of a doubt
This. As far as I can. Gonna switch my iPhone to Samsung unless production is shifted away from China. I know some internals are made in China but as far as I can I’m not giving them liars my money. Could have stopped this at the source instead threatened the whistleblowers and covered things up. Can’t be dealing with their bullying corrupt tactics. Even before this when Mesut Özil talked against China they threatened my beloved Arsenal! The cheek of it! Seriously though no dhgate or Ali-express etc anymore until they change ways. They infringe on copyright or just blatantly copy stuff. I remember watching a top gear special in China once and they were showing the Chinese copy’s of BMW’s and range rovers - exact in the outside only rubbish engines. They’ve got away with it for too long. Rant over.
Travelodge... No refunds and no response
joyf453607/05/2020 16:08

Yep stick to good old London taxi cabs, going down to Pizza Express in …Yep stick to good old London taxi cabs, going down to Pizza Express in your MG, getting your Energy from Wales and West Utilities, when the pubs open a lovely pint of Green king IPA..............oh hang on,aren't they are all owned by the Chinese.

You had me buying that until you mentioned greene king ipa then knew it was a wind up
Game. Absolutely appalling that they are charging £5 for delivery, not delivering stuff on time and not delivering stuff at all (then not refunding those they haven't delivered and putting the item back on the website to sell again).

Customer service is non existant and refunds are taking weeks after return. Will never use again, which is a huge shame as I actually traded a lot there.
keeganland07/05/2020 16:32

Comment deleted

Probably gets likes on Facebook. There’s one in every village
none
From a personal perspective...
First choice & tui as they've messed me around regarding my holiday refund and tried their best to avoid the law.
I wouldn't touch Ryanair anyway.

Hastings direct too.

Heard a story today about British gas employees and I was wondering if anyone else had heard the same, a lot of their staff can't work, so bg are paying them their wages to help local communities with the vans delivering food etc... If this is true then I will have to eat some humble pie and think differently of them.
Hennah07/05/2020 16:20

TUI - without a shadow of a doubt

I feel your pain!
Expedia. Robbed us of a grand and won't give it back. Small claims court next. Can't wait to see the bailiffs on that TV show turning up at their London HQ....

Could do with some new office furniture....
Edited by: "gazupnorth" 7th May
MrKrabs07/05/2020 16:54

Comment deleted

Respect for Dyson? Not complaining about the move to Singapore, which apparently has nothing to do with taxes? How about boycotting companies like Nike who manufacture in countries like Vietnam, where factory conditions can be terrible? Or Bangladesh where the world's clothes get made?

It is easy to talk about boycotting based on half assed information published by a biased media but the reality is that the so called ethical options, even if you find one to satisfy everything you need, aren't themselves lily white. It's just that they haven't been exposed yet.

If we want everything to be perfect, prepare for prices to double, at a minimum. But then we will complain about extortionate pricing. The reality is all these pledges will be forgotten once economic survival matters more than anything else.
Let's be honest, first sign of a sale, people's boycott principle will be out of the window.
bozo00707/05/2020 17:05

Respect for Dyson? Not complaining about the move to Singapore, which …Respect for Dyson? Not complaining about the move to Singapore, which apparently has nothing to do with taxes? How about boycotting companies like Nike who manufacture in countries like Vietnam, where factory conditions can be terrible? Or Bangladesh where the world's clothes get made? It is easy to talk about boycotting based on half assed information published by a biased media but the reality is that the so called ethical options, even if you find one to satisfy everything you need, aren't themselves lily white. It's just that they haven't been exposed yet.If we want everything to be perfect, prepare for prices to double, at a minimum. But then we will complain about extortionate pricing. The reality is all these pledges will be forgotten once economic survival matters more than anything else.

Exactly. People talk about principles but then don't want prices to rise LOL
Of course, that’s the factory owners and workers fault ???
gazupnorth07/05/2020 17:01

Expedia. Robbed us of a grand and won't give it back. Small claims court …Expedia. Robbed us of a grand and won't give it back. Small claims court next. Can't wait to see the bailiffs on that TV show turning up at their London HQ....Could do with some new office furniture....

Why did you not get your money back? I have a booking with them for start of June. Looks like that won’t be happening. If it’s cancelled then legally you should be refunded. Credit card / insurance should cover it though.
I don't know about companies, but some of the hysterical nimbyism from areas such as Devon and Cornwall and the Lakes has left a bad taste. I understand the principle of the lockdown - I don't need you and your police force telling me that your shops are local shops, for local people/your quaint little hospital will be overrun by us dirty city folk, spreading our disease in your clean little villages. Especially if you are a supposedly professional person doing it through the medium of Tik Tok.
sixgoldstars07/05/2020 17:36

I don't know about companies, but some of the hysterical nimbyism from …I don't know about companies, but some of the hysterical nimbyism from areas such as Devon and Cornwall and the Lakes has left a bad taste. I understand the principle of the lockdown - I don't need you and your police force telling me that your shops are local shops, for local people/your quaint little hospital will be overrun by us dirty city folk, spreading our disease in your clean little villages. Especially if you are a supposedly professional person doing it through the medium of Tik Tok.

How can you blame them for that. You wouldn't want to wish this virus on your worst enemy. London is so overcrowded you are far more likely to catch the virus there than pretty well most of the rest of the country. There are still small towns and villages dotted around that have reported no deaths at all so far.
fearona07/05/2020 16:39

You had me buying that until you mentioned greene king ipa then …You had me buying that until you mentioned greene king ipa then knew it was a wind up

Which company owns them?
All newspapers unless I can find one which is mostly independent & only reports actual facts. The sooner they all go bankrupt the better.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 7th May
joyf453607/05/2020 17:55

Which company owns them?

Who cares, my comment is about wanting to drink the crap
Expedia not offering us a refund. Just vouchers which will be as much use as a chocolate teapot!!!
Stanmorepark07/05/2020 17:51

How can you blame them for that. You wouldn't want to wish this virus on …How can you blame them for that. You wouldn't want to wish this virus on your worst enemy. London is so overcrowded you are far more likely to catch the virus there than pretty well most of the rest of the country. There are still small towns and villages dotted around that have reported no deaths at all so far.

Like I said, it's the manner in which it's been done, and the hysterical tone of some of the language. Some of these communities rely on tourist spending year round, yet have been decidedly rude to the very people they're usually desperate to coerce into financially supporting them. I spend a lot of my time in rural communities, and it will certainly affect my post-lockdown spending in those areas.
Likewise, the police haven't really come out of this situation very well at all.
Hoseasons and any of the holiday names they trade under or new ones that get set up by their dodgy board.

Hoping the CMA wipe the floor with Hoseasons who have taken money from hard working people and are refusing to refund. We won't forget the misery they have caused.
The range! What a bunch of idiots. Bought in a load of hastily purchased freezers so they could squeeze through the “essential retailers” loophole - all the while ordering 10 times more hot tubs than normal to sell. Nobody was in there buying food. And staff has next to no protection of procedures on place to keep them safe. And all the mike Ashley’s - but that was the same before corona!
Edited by: "Nat_urally" 7th May
acampbell068007/05/2020 16:17

Comment deleted

For my own sanity I have to pretend you’re kidding and not actually that dense.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions