Groups

Compaq windows XP disk

Hi all,
    Bit of a long shot but, my father is trying to restore his old desktop, A compaq one approximately 5 years old for general web browsing etc....problem is his xp disk is scratched and will only get to about 40% before failing when trying to restore the system....has anyone got an old disc they would be willing to sell? or know of a way I can use the damaged disk? thanks in advance for any help

20 Comments

You might find something here ]hp.com

You can use any XP disc to restore the OS then you mught need some drivers from the net, but you might find updates for XP contain the drivers anyway.

Original Poster

I've tried another 2 XP discs for some reason it wont recognise them even though they are scratch free...not sure if it has to be compaq specific?

bfjem;3248271

I've tried another 2 XP discs for some reason it wont recognise them even … I've tried another 2 XP discs for some reason it wont recognise them even though they are scratch free...not sure if it has to be compaq specific?

Yes. You have to restore with the same XP disc provided for that PC. It says as much on the disc. Other than that, you could format the HD and install a different XP disc, but that might be expensive.

bfjem;3248271

I've tried another 2 XP discs for some reason it wont recognise them even … I've tried another 2 XP discs for some reason it wont recognise them even though they are scratch free...not sure if it has to be compaq specific?

No this does not need to be Compaq specific unless you are restoring an image but Compaq machines are usually supplied with standard XP install discs. Assuming that you are using original discs, the failure suggests that the optical drive speed reading is slowing down as the laser moves further inwards into the disc. If the PC is still bootable into Windows you can perform a network install by copying your Compaq Windows XP disc onto another machine. If not, you can try another optical drive, either external or swap one out from another PC. Another possibility is that the RAM is faulty or the motherboard is causing the RAM to read and write inconsistently. This is symptomatic of a large unpacking of files which is how XP extracts the install files. A large compressed file may use a certain amount of RAM till it hits an area of memory that is faulty and this will cause CRC errors (the unpacking of files uses CRC checks to ensure that they have been unpacked correctly).

If you try copying the complete CD to a temporary directory on another PC, this will prove that the disc isn't faulty.

Predikuesi;3248384

Yes. You have to restore with the same XP disc provided for that PC. It … Yes. You have to restore with the same XP disc provided for that PC. It says as much on the disc. Other than that, you could format the HD and install a different XP disc, but that might be expensive.

Odd, :? I worked in a shop fixing PCs and we used the same XP disc to re-install every time, provided you use the original product key from the machine it should work, sometimes you may have to phone Microsoft

Original Poster

Thanks Elliot and Happy Donkey, I will try an external drive, and keep tryin the other XP discs they are all ligit versions so the only problem could be that the drive slows down or that its the ram issue you suggested either way I'll keep trying

Take the CD into a GameStation - they'll polish the disc for a couple of quid and it may be enough to get it working!

Banned

It may be your laser on the optical drive is on its way out, or already gone.
    Try with an external CD/DVD USB drive.

Worth trying the freezer trick on the disc, wrap it in kitchen towel, put it in the freezer for a couple of hours (it shrinks the disc slightly so the pits and lands are closer), ok for audio discs to recover a jumpy track, and sometimes data discs.
    Don't forget to get rid of any condensation, before you put it in the drive.

Usually good enough to retrieve at least some data.

Hope it helps

Providing you have the COA for XP, downloading a copy off thepiratebay is perfectly legal....
    (might work?)
    Tim

Banned

timothyw9;3250087

Providing you have the COA for XP, downloading a copy off thepiratebay is … Providing you have the COA for XP, downloading a copy off thepiratebay is perfectly legal....(might work?)Tim

Think you find it ain't legal to download a copy of piratebay.

Walk the plank ya scurvy dog, sweet trade, its called "Piracy"

I have a XP Pro COA stuck to my pc, can i use an xp pro CD off of my friends pc providing i use my own serial No.??

Banned

Depends if it is oem or retail, but either way it should be fine, simple call to Microsoft, on annoying auto "press this, press that", for new key should get it working,

soupy;3250383

Long & short answer is yes"

will it be a legit copy and good for updates?

Banned

bargain surfer;3250392

will it be a legit copy and good for updates?

If you have legit copy and key, then yes

Banned

Edit:
    Depends on key, if its pro, you need a pro disc, and if its for Home you need a Home disc.

Original Poster

this post turned out to be useful for more then me so imi very glad I asked now, thanks everyone for there input, (even the piracy ideas : P lol)

soupy;3250406

Edit:Depends on key, if its pro, you need a pro disc, and if its for Home … Edit:Depends on key, if its pro, you need a pro disc, and if its for Home you need a Home disc.

Don't forget corporate editions too

soupy;3249993

It may be your laser on the optical drive is on its way out, or already … It may be your laser on the optical drive is on its way out, or already gone.Try with an external CD/DVD USB drive.Worth trying the freezer trick on the disc, wrap it in kitchen towel, put it in the freezer for a couple of hours (it shrinks the disc slightly so the pits and lands are closer), ok for audio discs to recover a jumpy track, and sometimes data discs.Don't forget to get rid of any condensation, before you put it in the drive.Usually good enough to retrieve at least some data.Hope it helps

Oh come on - you've been reading too much about people freezing faulty hard drives and randomly applied the theories to optical discs, havn't you? How much of an optical disc is made of materials with high thermal expansivity? How does closer pits improve the reading from a laser? If anything, the pits will be out of alignment and furthermore, how can the laser still read through existing scratches?

Oh, good enough to recover at least some data - not very useful for a Windows install disc particularly where the system files are packed in a large single compressed file.

Banned

ElliottC;3252927

Oh come on - you've been reading too much about people freezing faulty … Oh come on - you've been reading too much about people freezing faulty hard drives and randomly applied the theories to optical discs, havn't you? How much of an optical disc is made of materials with high thermal expansivity? How does closer pits improve the reading from a laser? If anything, the pits will be out of alignment and furthermore, how can the laser still read through existing scratches?Oh, good enough to recover at least some data - not very useful for a Windows install disc particularly where the system files are packed in a large single compressed file.

Um, no. but it isn't 100%.
    From experience Its worked on old CD's that are not too badly damaged but skip while playing tracks, give it a try if you have a bad CD.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tesco Recalls 1,000's of products!​22
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764332
      3. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831429
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846229

See more discussions