Comparative cost of replacing a wooden door

Found 13th Oct 2017
I need to replace a wooden front door but I can't make up my mind as to whether I should replace it with another wooden door or a PVC door.

Anyone know the comparative cost between these 2 options? That is, would the PVC door be twice or three times the wooden door replacement? I would guess that getting a new wooden door would be the cheaper option short term but possibly not long term as it needs repainting every year and I won't be doing it so I would need to employ a painter and decorator to do it.

Is there any disadvantage with replacing the wooden door with a PVC door, apart from the cost?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Neither, go for a grp composite door as they're a lot better.
Composite best but more expensive, I would guess a upvc would cost 500-800 bangers
Our composite door was about 500 pounds, I'm not sure how much that would be in bangers.
Dual rebate composite door around £1400 fitted, yes single rebate are cheaper
Edited by: "airfix" 13th Oct 2017
Or go for a upvc foil coated option, anthracite grey or chartwell green are popular
airfix51 m ago

Or go for a upvc foil coated option, anthracite grey or chartwell green …Or go for a upvc foil coated option, anthracite grey or chartwell green are popular

i don't really understand all this. i have never heard of a composite door. what is it? does it rot and need repainting like a wooden door?

also what is a upvc foil coated option?

i just want a low maintainance door that doesn't look ugly as there is no porch to protect the door from the elements so the current wooden door has become rotten around the mouldings and the paint fades very quickly so it needs repainting pretty much once a year.

i looked at a you tube video on how they replace a wooden door with a pvc door and it looks pretty complicated as they have to replace the whole door frame.
mutley116 m ago

i don't really understand all this. i have never heard of a composite …i don't really understand all this. i have never heard of a composite door. what is it? does it rot and need repainting like a wooden door?also what is a upvc foil coated option?i just want a low maintainance door that doesn't look ugly as there is no porch to protect the door from the elements so the current wooden door has become rotten around the mouldings and the paint fades very quickly so it needs repainting pretty much once a year.i looked at a you tube video on how they replace a wooden door with a pvc door and it looks pretty complicated as they have to replace the whole door frame.

It's easy, get a saw and crowbar and take out door and frame, don't chip the bricks, new upvc door comes with frame, fit it in the hole, level and square.

Foil is a coating or laminate, coloured often with woodgrain effect although smooth is now available for an aluminium look
Go for a Solidor. I had one fitted last year and it's very good.
airfix2 h, 27 m ago

It's easy, get a saw and crowbar and take out door and frame, don't chip …It's easy, get a saw and crowbar and take out door and frame, don't chip the bricks, new upvc door comes with frame, fit it in the hole, level and square. Foil is a coating or laminate, coloured often with woodgrain effect although smooth is now available for an aluminium look

i can't do a job like this myself but that does not sound easy even for a bloke!
Heres an example
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions