Expired

COMPATIBLE EXTENDERS / BOOSTERS FOR NEW VIRGIN SUPER HUB

Found 2nd Jan 2014
We have the latest model of the VM 'new super hub' and the signal drops off massively even in the far corner of adjacent rooms so my I'm hoping for some recommendations for wireless boosters.

1. Ask
  2. Virgin
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Virgin
14 Comments

I've got the same issue (old Victorian house with nice thick walls). Depends which band you want to boost as the hub is a dual band hub. I've got a mixture of devices, so I use an Asus EA-N66 for boosting the 5GHz range and a nice cheap and cheerful TP-Link WA830RE for boosting the 3GHz. They are installed in the hallway at the top of the stairs and do the job nicely. Got them off your favourite auction site.

Original Poster

This article suggests the UBS-N66 as far superior. Can you weigh in?

pcmag.com/art…asp

I recently run home plugs to a couple of rooms around the house and stuck old routers I had on laying around. That way when I drop off one wireless signal there's always another available.

Original Poster

Lurker83

I recently run home plugs to a couple of rooms around the house and stuck … I recently run home plugs to a couple of rooms around the house and stuck old routers I had on laying around. That way when I drop off one wireless signal there's always another available.

But ideally you don't want to be powering multiple routers and home plugs. Electricity bill would jump.

But in an old stone build, especially of a large size it's unlikely one router will give coverage if the entire house. If you want decent local access then a decent wireless router attached to the superhub and the superhub put into modem mode would suffice.

Exactly the same problem in our old victorian house, son can use his phone on one end of our three seater sofa, I can't use mine from the other end. Will be watching the thread....

Banned

Run it in modem mode and get an n300 tplink wireless router for 30 quid, job done

speedgun

This article suggests the UBS-N66 as far superior. Can you weigh … This article suggests the UBS-N66 as far superior. Can you weigh in?http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412996,00.asp

Got to disagree with all the points raised in that review. I had no problem setting it up. Just updated the firmware and off I went. However, if the UBS-N66 is available cheaper then no harm in going for it as it's the same pretty much as the one I have.

Musician

Run it in modem mode and get an n300 tplink wireless router for 30 quid, … Run it in modem mode and get an n300 tplink wireless router for 30 quid, job done

Nice idea, but then you lose out on the dual band capabilities of the super hub and the extra band width that provides assuming the OP has devices that support it.

Original Poster

I have multiple 5G devices. The New Super Hub works very well transmitting vertically but once again it drops off almost completely even on 2G when you go to the far corner in any adjacent room or the far corner of any room on the ground floor.

Can I ask how you have setup the Asus. Do you simply run an ethernet cable to the input? Or via home plugs.

Banned

speedgun

This article suggests the UBS-N66 as far superior. Can you weigh … This article suggests the UBS-N66 as far superior. Can you weigh in?http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412996,00.asp

Musician

Run it in modem mode and get an n300 tplink wireless router for 30 quid, … Run it in modem mode and get an n300 tplink wireless router for 30 quid, job done

If the dual band is an issue for the op, just replace the n300 with any decent dual band router, for example the n600 at around 50 quid. Make sure you replace your wireless dongles/cards as well or you won't get the benefit. Beware that if you are going down the dual band route (pun not intended), make sure it's simultaneous dual band as a lot of older devices do not support 5ghz.

What you will gain from having a different router from the superhub is much more configuration, such as QOS which was vital for us, restricting certain devices, so they don't lag other devices, also the ability to restrict upload speed so you're not constantly made host in games such as call of duty.

Also note the new "superhub" has no ipv6 compliance or dynamic dns, Unless you are streaming high def movies to multiple pc's etc off a network drive I can't really see why you would need 450mbps over an internal network anyway. All my wireless devices connect at 150mbps at 2.4ghz on 60mb virgin and they work beautifully now. Maybe to make yourself a bit future proof go for the n600 or above, have a look around the TP link website, I can't recommend their equipment enough.

Good points there musician. To be honest, the connections that matter are all hard wired in my house. I gave up with wireless and just drilled some holes and mounted network points. Much better for transferring large files than going wireless route. Only have 3 devices that support 5Ghz so the Asus was probably a bit overkill but never mind 8).

speedgun

Can I ask how you have setup the Asus. Do you simply run an ethernet … Can I ask how you have setup the Asus. Do you simply run an ethernet cable to the input? Or via home plugs.

Neither - it just picks up the 5Ghz network and boosts the signal as I've got it working in extender mode. The initial setup has to be done via ethernet cable, but once done it just sits there and does its job.

Original Poster

So how close is your Asus extender to your VM Hub.

Banned

redbutcher

Good points there musician. To be honest, the connections that matter are … Good points there musician. To be honest, the connections that matter are all hard wired in my house. I gave up with wireless and just drilled some holes and mounted network points. Much better for transferring large files than going wireless route. Only have 3 devices that support 5Ghz so the Asus was probably a bit overkill but never mind 8).Neither - it just picks up the 5Ghz network and boosts the signal as I've got it working in extender mode. The initial setup has to be done via ethernet cable, but once done it just sits there and does its job.

Overkill is always good with technology Having got my wireless working like a dream now I'll never go back to cables, with the exception of the ps3 which is cat6 wired into the router directly in some false hope maybe that that will help me shoot people online

Musician

Overkill is always good with technology Having got my wireless working … Overkill is always good with technology Having got my wireless working like a dream now I'll never go back to cables, with the exception of the ps3 which is cat6 wired into the router directly in some false hope maybe that that will help me shoot people online

Hehe, sounds like a plan 8).

speedgun

So how close is your Asus extender to your VM Hub.

VM hub is on top of a shelf in the lounge. The extender is up the stairs at the top of the landing mounted on the wall so quite a distance away.
Post a comment
@
    Text