Compatible raspberry pi sd card

Found 31st Dec 2017
Hi,
I was looking at purchasing the following sd card for a raspberry pi:

picstop.co.uk/mic…019

Can anyone tell me if this is compatible or is anyone already using one in a pi?

Thank you in advance

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

Hi Mark

I’m looking at getting my first raspberry pi at the moment, and research seems to hint that the largest micro SD card that works with it is a 32gb? Not too sure, and would love to know also, as Id rather get a 128gb over the 32gb.

I’m not sure if that was software specific, ie that some SD cards only work with certain raspberry pi software?

Original Poster

Hi, you can use 128gb cards as I am looking at using the pi as a retro gaming system and you can acquire sd card images that are 128gb in size. You have to use special software to format it etc, can't remember what it is off the top of my head

I think it has to be Fat32 formatted for it to be recognised by the pi.

usually anything over 64gb is automatically set as exFat by Windows I think.
I used this a while ago and it mentions something about formatting cards
Quick start guide formatting noobs

@markw96 oh right, didn’t realise that, thanks. I’m looking for retropie use also, and will go for 128gb too if it works.

Just searched again online, and a few people are saying up to 256gb works, but that you have to check for comparability. SanDisk seems to turn up as the main brand, so it should be ok...

Sorry for being little help. Out of interest, where did you buy your pi and case out of interest? I’m looking at buying from “the pi hut”

Also, I don’t think you need NOOBS or Raspian installed on the SD card initially, as the retropie image is the retropie built on top of the Raspian OS (I think)...

Original Poster

I'm using the first raspberry pi at the moment with a small capacity sd card, but I'm looking to upgrade both. When I get a new pi it will be from rs online about £30 with free next day delivery.

As for a case I was looking at getting a nes pie case for the retro look.

I've got the image just not a big enough memory card lol

markw9658 m ago

I'm using the first raspberry pi at the moment with a small capacity sd …I'm using the first raspberry pi at the moment with a small capacity sd card, but I'm looking to upgrade both. When I get a new pi it will be from rs online about £30 with free next day delivery. As for a case I was looking at getting a nes pie case for the retro look. I've got the image just not a big enough memory card lol

Ah, wish I’d seen this earlier, just bought pi3 from the Pi Hut for £32, with £15 case and £7 charger, £2.50 delivery with Royal Mail.

Cheers for the heads up on the SD card, picstop looks like the best option
Post a comment
@
    Text