compensation for Courier damaged in transit (seller)

Posted 6th Nov
Hi,

I need some advice please.

I have recently started selling few things I no longer need from my house, on the eBay. I used Parcel2Go and used Hermes through them to send one of the item.

I always tick the protection for £20 for each item I am sending.

This time, I found that the item was damaged beyond repair and Hermes suggested that it will not be delivered.

I immediately refunded the full amount to the buyer and opened a claim on Parcel2Go. Parcel2Go now claims that I did not buy any protection for the courier so they can only refund the courier charges only.

I replied explaining that I did choose the £20 protection and I didn't take any screenshot as never thought I will need it. The receipt I get through email never shows what I bought and for how much.

Now Parcel2Go is offering only £10 but my loss is of £20. eBay and PayPal have refunded the charges, and Parcel2Go has refunded the courier charges but my item is lost forever which cost me more than £20 but as I sold it 2nd hand I only cost it £20.

Could anyone suggest what my options are please?

Is there something I can do to get £20 of the loss?

Any idea or suggestions will help. I am new to these issues and only started eBay selling just now so don't know what options sellers have.

many thanks
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
"I always tick the protection for £20 for each item I am sending." Presumably you know the weight of the item so you can reverse calculate the shipping cost plus any compensation cost you purchased at same time, compared to the total amount stated on the P2G invoice. Or are P2G prices too volatile?
Regardless, it seems kinda weird that P2G would offer a gesture of goodwill payment of 50% of the value of cover for a product you didn't purchase.
AndyRoyd06/11/2019 23:05

"I always tick the protection for £20 for each item I am sending." …"I always tick the protection for £20 for each item I am sending." Presumably you know the weight of the item so you can reverse calculate the shipping cost plus any compensation cost you purchased at same time, compared to the total amount stated on the P2G invoice. Or are P2G prices too volatile?Regardless, it seems kinda weird that P2G would offer a gesture of goodwill payment of 50% of the value of cover for a product you didn't purchase.

Hi,

Thank you for your time.

Their prices vary depending on how quick we want to send and weight plus dimensions so I didn't go in detail for the cost breakdown as I picked quicker service with proper protection.

What do you mean by weird of offering 50% please? I didn't understand that.

Many thanks
If you use budget courier service pack the item twice as well , phone the courier you used and they should give you a refund if they damaged it
Edited by: "_Tris_" 6th Nov
Hi, I would reject their offer and ask to escalate your complaint. Explain that due to the lack of information on their receipt, it’s impossible for you to prove that you always select protection.

I’d ask them why they think it’s acceptable (or reasonable) for customer to take a screenshot of purchase page. Is it because they’re aware of the problem but trying to get out of paying claims.

Even finish with that you’re a loyal customer and looking for them to consider this as a one off goodwill gesture.

Hopefully this works!
_Tris_06/11/2019 23:25

If you use budget courier service pack the item twice as well , phone the …If you use budget courier service pack the item twice as well , phone the courier you used and they should give you a refund if they damaged it

I did and both layers were of bubble wraps. I am surprised how it got damaged but as it never got delivered, I don't even know what happened to it.
g33h106/11/2019 23:19

Hi,Thank you for your time.Their prices vary depending on how quick we …Hi,Thank you for your time.Their prices vary depending on how quick we want to send and weight plus dimensions so I didn't go in detail for the cost breakdown as I picked quicker service with proper protection...

I was suggesting you price the same service again, to see if when adding the £20 cover it arrives at the same (or lesser) amount that your invoice amount. That would presumably indicate if you had or had not paid for the cover.
g33h106/11/2019 23:19

...What do you mean by weird of offering 50% please? I didn't understand …...What do you mean by weird of offering 50% please? I didn't understand that.Many thanks

Say you were shipping an item of value say £10 or less. Why would you bother paying for the "up to £20" cover when you know that P2G will volunteer £10 cover anyway at no cost? So it seems kinda weird that a customer should be offered 50% of the value of the cover that the customer didn't purchase.
Maybe go for the usual fallback where (regrettably) the cost for the trader to comply will be more than the £20 value you are claiming:
hit P2G with an SAR.
Remind P2G the response to your SAR should non-exhaustively contain:
copy of your original order, invoice, all comms between P2G and you; all comms between P2G and its contractors / associates / agents / afilliates / payment processors, etc that refer to you by name and / or identifying order ref, including all comms relating to insurance cover investigation and the records of how the outcome of that investigation was determined, plus any other salient or non-salient rubbish you can think of that would cause the most grief for P2G to obtain and convey.
Be prepared for most of those items to be rebutted with feeble excuses.
It's a sneaky approach but if you genuinely feel P2G is trying to have your pants down then this may be suitable retribution, and from personal experience the wad of records that is supplied can be quite fascinating.
Isn't 20 or 25£ is automatically insured for anyway?
you shouldn't need to tick anything, only if you select higher item insurance price which costs extra?

Also if you are using ebay, buy postage from them too.
AMaky07/11/2019 00:36

Isn't 20 or 25£ is automatically insured for anyway?you shouldn't need to …Isn't 20 or 25£ is automatically insured for anyway?you shouldn't need to tick anything, only if you select higher item insurance price which costs extra?

Hermes options at P2G are "including £20 protection" or cheaper "Don't need protection," where the latter is kinda risky ! Random example:

38922152-oGOXZ.jpg
AngelaDocherty06/11/2019 23:24

Hi, I would reject their offer and ask to escalate your complaint. Explain …Hi, I would reject their offer and ask to escalate your complaint. Explain that due to the lack of information on their receipt, it’s impossible for you to prove that you always select protection. I’d ask them why they think it’s acceptable (or reasonable) for customer to take a screenshot of purchase page. Is it because they’re aware of the problem but trying to get out of paying claims. Even finish with that you’re a loyal customer and looking for them to consider this as a one off goodwill gesture. Hopefully this works!

Thank you. I will try that.
AndyRoyd07/11/2019 00:11

Maybe go for the usual fallback where (regrettably) the cost for the …Maybe go for the usual fallback where (regrettably) the cost for the trader to comply will be more than the £20 value you are claiming:hit P2G with an SAR. Remind P2G the response to your SAR should non-exhaustively contain:copy of your original order, invoice, all comms between P2G and you; all comms between P2G and its contractors / associates / agents / afilliates / payment processors, etc that refer to you by name and / or identifying order ref, including all comms relating to insurance cover investigation and the records of how the outcome of that investigation was determined, plus any other salient or non-salient rubbish you can think of that would cause the most grief for P2G to obtain and convey.Be prepared for most of those items to be rebutted with feeble excuses.It's a sneaky approach but if you genuinely feel P2G is trying to have your pants down then this may be suitable retribution, and from personal experience the wad of records that is supplied can be quite fascinating.

Thank you Andy. I will first try declining their offer and ask for full refund as per protection but if it gets denied, I will use SAR and also escalate to their CEO.
AMaky07/11/2019 00:36

Isn't 20 or 25£ is automatically insured for anyway?you shouldn't need to …Isn't 20 or 25£ is automatically insured for anyway?you shouldn't need to tick anything, only if you select higher item insurance price which costs extra?Also if you are using ebay, buy postage from them too.

Is that given anywhere that it's automatically insured? If I can find any evidence then I can show to them.

eBay provides royal mail service and I have not seen any insurance option with them. Am I missing something? I am new to selling so must be something I have missed.
AndyRoyd07/11/2019 01:02

Hermes options at P2G are "including £20 protection" or cheaper "Don't …Hermes options at P2G are "including £20 protection" or cheaper "Don't need protection," where the latter is kinda risky ! Random example:[Image]

Yes, this top option I always choose which has £20 insurance included.
g33h107/11/2019 08:22

Is that given anywhere that it's automatically insured? If I can find any …Is that given anywhere that it's automatically insured? If I can find any evidence then I can show to them.eBay provides royal mail service and I have not seen any insurance option with them. Am I missing something? I am new to selling so must be something I have missed.

royal mail insures up to £20 for 2.90 and up to £50 for 3.90
plus other services like ups, myhermes etc
AMaky07/11/2019 09:12

royal mail insures up to £20 for 2.90 and up to £50 for 3.90plus other s …royal mail insures up to £20 for 2.90 and up to £50 for 3.90plus other services like ups, myhermes etc

Wow! That is good. Thanks AMaky for this info. I will use it for next time.
Why don't you input the same details for that parcel and get a quote from their site, one without the protection and one with and reflect it on how much you paid to them. State why it can't be the latter.
From my own experience, they do lie. The staff nick stuff and use the item is damaged so had to bin it excuse. I sent some metal objects and would have needed a crusher to damage them. If parcel2go are reading this then take me to court if you want. They did refund everything but was a battle and used every excuse in the book. I think they only reacted after I gave a bad review online and they wanted me to pull it, I didn't. I always rate a business on how well they do when things go wrong, not right.

Good luck.
Edited by: "Awesomeness-in-your-mouth" 7th Nov
MR112307/11/2019 09:20

Why don't you input the same details for that parcel and get a quote from …Why don't you input the same details for that parcel and get a quote from their site, one without the protection and one with and reflect it on how much you paid to them. State why it can't be the latter.

Thank you MR1123. I will check the bank statement as well but we don't get these details in the confirmation email so we never know it until such situation arise. P2G must improve and provide a receipt in the email too along with their confirmation.
Awesomeness-in-your-mouth07/11/2019 10:31

From my own experience, they do lie. The staff nick stuff and use the …From my own experience, they do lie. The staff nick stuff and use the item is damaged so had to bin it excuse. I sent some metal objects and would have needed a crusher to damage them. If parcel2go are reading this then take me to court if you want. They did refund everything but was a battle and used every excuse in the book. I think they only reacted after I gave a bad review online and they wanted me to pull it, I didn't. I always rate a business on how well they do when things go wrong, not right.Good luck.

Thanks Awesomeness-in-your-mouth. This is my first experience but as I always learn from experience, this is going to leave me with something. My parcel wasn't easy to get damaged either and the first thought was that someone must have opened it and liked it then kept it otherwise they must deliver it even if it's damage. I packed it thoroughly and double layered.

New learnings every day but P2G is now in my beware list unless they resolve this issue.
There is no worse courier company than parcel2go. I was unfortunate in the past to use their service. My parcel got "lost" somewhere on the way, after I complained nothing could be done. My parcel my loss. Two weeks later I went public everywhere I could and my parcell miraculously wasn't lost anymore. Never in my life will I use them and hope they'll go bust leaving all those people who were incredibly rude to me during my proceedings unemployed (hopefully in time for Xmas)
zombic07/11/2019 20:08

There is no worse courier company than parcel2go....

Parcel2Go is not a courier company.
zombic07/11/2019 20:08

There is no worse courier company than parcel2go. I was unfortunate in the …There is no worse courier company than parcel2go. I was unfortunate in the past to use their service. My parcel got "lost" somewhere on the way, after I complained nothing could be done. My parcel my loss. Two weeks later I went public everywhere I could and my parcell miraculously wasn't lost anymore. Never in my life will I use them and hope they'll go bust leaving all those people who were incredibly rude to me during my proceedings unemployed (hopefully in time for Xmas)

Oh dear! I am sorry to hear what you have gone through. I wish you better experiences with anyone you use in the future.

I am proceeding with my complaint and will update how it goes.
Hi all, thank you for your advise and guidance on my issue. I am now updating here with all the progress and outcome.

One Operations Manager is actually on HUKD from P2G who approached me through direct message and offered to investigate and refund the full £20. I provided the order number and explained what happened. Although P2G couldn't check how the cover I bought got missed (system glitch or something else but P2G could not confirm in reply to my complaint), this operations manager (I am not providing name due to privacy but if P2G Ops manager can come forward or allow me to name then I will post it here) offered to refund the full £20 amount for the protection. P2G refunded the courier cost, directly to me and Ops manager arranged £20 refund to me this week.

Outcome: P2G can only cover the insurance amount if you can show the proof that you bought it so somehow keep it as a record in bad case scenarios like mine.

I will never send anything without insurance and have not sent any way but will be more careful in future.

I will also check the eBay options too as it's not too far from P2G.

Again, thank you so much all for your advise and guidance and support. Much appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants