Expired

Compensation for military negligence

Found 4th Feb
This is an FYI rather than a deal, but hopefully it'll be useful to people who've served in the forces / have relatives who have formerly served, and are suffering due to negligence.

My grandad is 93 years old, and served in the navy during the war. As a result of being made to train and work on the deck of an air carrier without sun cream or any protection, he contracted skin cancer, and has been suffering for the last 40 years having tumour after tumour removed. It was only when speaking to a nurse who formerly served that he was made aware of this scheme to get compensation - and isn't very well known (why would the government advertise it - it'll cost them a fortune).

Anyway, I hope the info is useful to someone or their relatives - hopefully a little compensation will help ease the suffering -)
Community Updates
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments
So what is this scheme? Have you a link? All I can see after a quick search is a whole heap of personal injury lawyers advertising no win no fee.
We were given sun cream in the Army.. it came in little green squeezy bottles and was above spf40

They did fess up to causing my knee injury so gave me a war pension and also a few of my friends have war pensions from taking the malaria tablets and getting asthma and a few other things.. making you run around with 30kg+ bergens on does wonders for your joints and back...
Tell your grandad thank you.
arcangel11115 m ago

We were given sun cream in the Army.. it came in little green squeezy …We were given sun cream in the Army.. it came in little green squeezy bottles and was above spf40 They did fess up to causing my knee injury so gave me a war pension and also a few of my friends have war pensions from taking the malaria tablets and getting asthma and a few other things.. making you run around with 30kg+ bergens on does wonders for your joints and back...

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
39 now but 40 soon.
I joined the army in 1996 and left in 2003
psychobitchfromhell3 h, 54 m ago

So what is this scheme? Have you a link? All I can see after a quick …So what is this scheme? Have you a link? All I can see after a quick search is a whole heap of personal injury lawyers advertising no win no fee.

I think this might be it.
deeky39 m ago

I think this might be it.

Indeed not well publicised. They aren't exactly overwhelming you with information there.
Jumpingphil4 h, 36 m ago

Wow, 93 years is a grand old age. Was sun screen available then or even …Wow, 93 years is a grand old age. Was sun screen available then or even appreciated?So, he wants compensation, for what? Has he not had a good life?Who will pay this compensation that he wants? Perhaps take it out of the N.H.S. after all, they have loads of money to give away.My Dad died 3 days before his 90th birthday. He worked all his life in a chemical factory. We wouldn't dream of looking for compensation for that. It is what it is in the day. Is it really negligence?I don't think so, do you?REALLY?

It is an interesting point you raise. Back in the 1940's I'm not sure the link between skin cancer and Sun exposure was well established, and that sunscreen was widely available anyway. On the flip side you could say that they didn't know the damage forcing sailors to view atomic explosions at close range could cause. Can you be held as negligent if the risks aren't known?
deleted579594th Feb

"hopefully a little compensation will help ease the suffering"And in that …"hopefully a little compensation will help ease the suffering"And in that comment people is the reason that each generation becomes more and more entitled..I mean this with the most respect to a veteran but, OP did the NAVY refuse your granddad to apply sun cream, or are you saying it was the NAVY's fault he didn't take responsibility to protect him self from the sun? I wonder if he was like most other vets who smoked 40 woodbine's a day too, or the rum rations might lead to his alcoholism? you see where I am gogin with this.

Being entitled isn't always a bad thing. I'm not sure when it turned into a moan from one generation to the next, probably from the beginning.
My hearing has been massively impacted in my right ear from firing a rifle. I only know because I failed the medical for the fire brigade because of it. Just one of them things.
Jumpingphil15 h, 12 m ago

Wow, 93 years is a grand old age. Was sun screen available then or even …Wow, 93 years is a grand old age. Was sun screen available then or even appreciated?So, he wants compensation, for what? Has he not had a good life?Who will pay this compensation that he wants? Perhaps take it out of the N.H.S. after all, they have loads of money to give away.My Dad died 3 days before his 90th birthday. He worked all his life in a chemical factory. We wouldn't dream of looking for compensation for that. It is what it is in the day. Is it really negligence?I don't think so, do you?REALLY?

From what @MrBishMan wrote it looked to me neglience in common law. The damage of the sun is known since ancient times, especially from Tudor times when the British Empire grew.

Just because he is old is not a reason for no compensation. From the sound of the skin cancer tumour, it would have affected his quality of life badly for 40 years.

The budgetting difference between NHS and the Armed Forces should not be a concern to the claimant. One does treatment, one does compensation for him. He is due what he deserves from the stringent claim process.

Just because a person does not get compensation does not mean another shouldn't, like your dad in chemical factory. That's like asking a sufferer to tell another sufferer to get off holding anyone negligent to account.

That's my answer to your question of "Really? etc," I am a tax payer. he should have the compensation due.
Edited by: "splender" 5th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants