Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) investigates hotel booking web sites

Found 27th Oct 2017
I have not used any big hotel booking web sites for some years. I use smaller agents or go direct to hotels.

independent.co.uk/tra…tml
Community Updates
Misc
9 Comments
Not encountered this problem personally.
I tend to use hotels.com for when im working away as i can get cashback on TCB AND a reward night (so i can treat the missus every now and again).
I guess it depends how much research customers are prepared to do. I took a two night break this week booked through superbreaks, was more expensive to book through the hotel directly , superbreaks also included breakfast both mornings and dinner the first night, plus £27 cashback via topcashback. Earlier in the year the hotel I wanted to go to was cheaper to book direct and they offered a room upgrade if you booked through them rather than a third party site. Personally I keep looking until I find a deal I'm happy with.
I am outraged...it's outrageous... let's march
Vote with your feet and use a smaller agent such as :-

aldi-reisen.de/rei…ise

Say the Panorama Hotel Prague 4 stars, 2 nights , for 27th and 28th nights of November, above link (Aldi-Sud) is € 118 and includes breakfasts for two.

and Hotel.com £131 for two as above (with breakfast £138)
I've worked for holiday website companies as a developer.

General practice is they fetch prices/availability from a special feed provided by a supplier (or sometimes entered in manually). This price can be whatever the supplier wants so they could provide an inflated price over their own price. The site you're searching on then adds a fee (~10%).

The site can choose to promote certain offers to the top if they want for whatever reason they want (extra discounts, new location, high margins) but I've never seen a method for doing this that isn't simply bypassed by ensuring you sort by price.

Sometimes you get lower prices directly from a hotel, sometimes you get lower prices on the travel agent's site (because they're subsidised by buying flights with them or because the travel agent bought up 100 rooms at once from the hotel).

I've always thought the more interesting/questionable things about holiday websites is just how many 'different' travel agents are running off of the same code, getting the same prices with the site coded and run by a single company.

Also lots and lots of times on a 'big' site you're secretly shuffled off to a third party website run by some smaller company that just mimics their branding. Makes resolving issues with bookings that extra bit fun and also, quite often they don't have the same level of security and PCI certification that the bigger parent company has.
abigsmurf13 m ago

I've worked for holiday website companies as a developer.General practice …I've worked for holiday website companies as a developer.General practice is they fetch prices/availability from a special feed provided by a supplier (or sometimes entered in manually). This price can be whatever the supplier wants so they could provide an inflated price over their own price. The site you're searching on then adds a fee (~10%).The site can choose to promote certain offers to the top if they want for whatever reason they want (extra discounts, new location, high margins) but I've never seen a method for doing this that isn't simply bypassed by ensuring you sort by price.Sometimes you get lower prices directly from a hotel, sometimes you get lower prices on the travel agent's site (because they're subsidised by buying flights with them or because the travel agent bought up 100 rooms at once from the hotel).I've always thought the more interesting/questionable things about holiday websites is just how many 'different' travel agents are running off of the same code, getting the same prices with the site coded and run by a single company.Also lots and lots of times on a 'big' site you're secretly shuffled off to a third party website run by some smaller company that just mimics their branding. Makes resolving issues with bookings that extra bit fun and also, quite often they don't have the same level of security and PCI certification that the bigger parent company has.

Thats' why one ditches the UK English websites and use foreign web sites for better deals, like the one I illustrated above. No deoubt Aldi Sud runs off the same software code from some German travel agent.
splender21 h, 59 m ago

Vote with your feet and use a smaller agent such as …Vote with your feet and use a smaller agent such as :-https://www.aldi-reisen.de/reisen/eigene-anreiseSay the Panorama Hotel Prague 4 stars, 2 nights , for 27th and 28th nights of November, above link (Aldi-Sud) is € 118 and includes breakfasts for two. and Hotel.com £131 for two as above (with breakfast £138)

Or, use price comparison websites to find the hotel that suits your needs, but then Google to find the hotel's own website, and book direct with them. You'll usually get lower prices, as well as more flexibility or options over your stay.
dxx1 h, 56 m ago

Or, use price comparison websites to find the hotel that suits your needs, …Or, use price comparison websites to find the hotel that suits your needs, but then Google to find the hotel's own website, and book direct with them. You'll usually get lower prices, as well as more flexibility or options over your stay.

Don't forget the lifetime supply of spam emails!
Destard16 m ago

Don't forget the lifetime supply of spam emails!

That's why you have destard@gmail.com for your friends, family, and important stuff, and destardspam@gmail.com for everything else.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions