Competitions on HUKD

Found 22nd Oct 2015
Although I would really like to, I am hesitant to enter the competitions (that are on HUKD) for fear of being spammed to death. I'm not really concerned about email its more mail shots and tele marketing.

Does anyone have experience, do you feel you get more spam calls/mail because of entering your info into competitions?

Thanks for any info...

I
Community Updates
AskCompetitions
11 Comments
Always tick the no marketing boxes, make sure you're registered with the TPS and use a throwaway email address. Only complete the minimum number of fields on the comp form - don't volunteer information you don't have to give. I use a slightly different version of my first name for comping in case I did get any junk calls/mail but I've never had a single mailshot or phone call.
Thanks Ceres. Email I was going to use a junk one anyway. The few I looked at asked for phone number which bothers me.. I already get too many spam calls....

Glad to hear you haven't had any.
I usually only enter ones which don't require my address and use a Gmail email address.
phooboo

Thanks Ceres. Email I was going to use a junk one anyway. The few I … Thanks Ceres. Email I was going to use a junk one anyway. The few I looked at asked for phone number which bothers me.. I already get too many spam calls....Glad to hear you haven't had any.

Isn't your phone number 012345678?
scrumpypaul

​But then if you do win they'll invalidate your entry... (because they can't sell on your info...)....maybe...
scrumpypaul

My mobile number is 00000000000
As above - don't give info that you don't have to. Always "test" a form without your phone number (unless it's clearly required) and it will soon let you know if it's needed. I enter many comps but not that many extra phone calls or spam emails than anyone else.
jedicho

As above - don't give info that you don't have to. Always "test" a form … As above - don't give info that you don't have to. Always "test" a form without your phone number (unless it's clearly required) and it will soon let you know if it's needed. I enter many comps but not that many extra phone calls or spam emails than anyone else.

​Thanks. Do you think they would disqualify if upon winning they see a fake number? And would they not need real address / number to ship to you if you do happen to win or to contact you?
I've found that quite often you don't get a call or email to say you've won something - you just get a mysterious parcel turn up and have to try to work out what comp you got it from. I still wouldn't risk giving false details though - for the very big prizes, they will definitely make contact.

Not sure about disqualifying an entry for giving a fake number but gives them one less way of letting you know that you've won.

phooboo

​Thanks. Do you think they would disqualify if upon winning they see a f … ​Thanks. Do you think they would disqualify if upon winning they see a fake number? And would they not need real address / number to ship to you if you do happen to win or to contact you?

Just an update: I entered a few competitions that I was particularly interested in, and three months later I have started getting really annoying "You were in an accident recently.... do you want..." phone calls.

Now of course it could just be an odd coincidence, but considering how careful I am not to put my number 'out there', I have strong suspicions that my number has been put on a list - bought from those competitions that I entered.

Just thought I'd let y'all know.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants