Completely silent PC recommendations?

Posted 16th Oct 2020
Recommendations, please!

I have a small Sedatech PC that is nearly 5 years old now. It's been plugged into my main TV all that time, and I use it with a wireless keyboard for on-demand TV, YouTube, casual browsing, emails and so on. It seems a far more capable solution than using the TV's own smart features or a Raspberry Pi, plus there is the occasional Windows-based game I like to play on it.

One of the reasons I chose this PC was because it was silent - and I mean completely silent - no fans and no disks whirring about.

However, after five years I wouldn't mind replacing it with something noticeably faster (it sometimes struggles with 4K content and it would also be nice to play certain games with a better framerate).

I am after something completely silent again, and ideally not too big or too expensive either! I guess what I'm really after is something that ticks as many of these boxes as possible (but it must run Windows)...

IDEAL SPEC:
  • Completely silent (no moving parts at all)
  • A faster CPU, which also supports intel virtualization technology
  • At least 16 GB RAM
  • At least 1TB SSD
  • Ethernet, HDMI and USB 3.0
  • (Don't need an optical drive, as I can use my playstation instead)
  • Windows 10 Pro (ideally with all necessary drivers preinstalled)

For comparison, this is the current spec (which seemed a complete bargain at £229 five years ago):
  • Intel J1900 4x 2.0GHz
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 250 GB SSD
  • Blu-ray reader/DVD-rewriter
  • Windows 7 Pro (since upgraded to Windows 10)

I imagine it is unlikely that the replacement would be anywhere near that cheap, but I would hope that the new one would be noticeably faster, and also be good enough to last me another 5 years. Does such a thing even exist if I want it to be completely silent?
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Post a comment