Posted 19 September 2022

Composite Door not locking

We have a composite door which is about 4 years old.It’s one of those which you have to lift the handle to lock and has a multi point locking mechanism like with all these kind of doors.Recently though the handle doesn’t quite go all the way up in order to successfully turn the lock to lock it.This is also the case when I try to do it with the door fully open.It will work if I lift the handle quickly with some force.Like I said this happens with the door fully open so it’s not an alignment issue.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Could be damage around the spindle - pop the handles off and see if you can see anything cracked.
    Does it make a difference if you try to use the outside handle rather than the inside?
    Could be the springs in your handle but most likely a new mechanism is needed. The existing mech should have the name of the brand somewhere. Just call the company who fit it for you.
    We had this problem. Nightmare to try and realign the door. I ended up taking the upper and lower metal frame off the door frame where the upper and lower locks, actual lock into the framework.
    I had exactly the same problem recently and found two issues with my door.

First being that the metal slots on the frame had become misaligned meaning the multipoint mechanism did not easily slide in. To check this put pernament marker on the lock pins and check for any scratches/contacts when the door is closed

The second is lack of lubricant in the mechanism. Unscrew the whole mechanism and grease it all up. You will be amazed how much better is it after.
    Yes happened to me...use lubricant in all the moving parts and multipoints as this will affect the handle.
    If the door has a non-maintenance reasonable life expectancy beyond 4 years the supplier has a mandatory obligation to sort the issue.
    Any failed attempt by owner to fix the issue may release the supplier from that mandatory CRA obligation.
    this happened to me, I WD40’d the catch, and it’s been fine for the last 6 months
    If its a problem with the door open this isn't likely to be the problem.
's avatar