Groups
    EXPIRED

Compost

Does any reader know the current best deal for buying compost.

I prefer the peat-free type compost if at all possible.

I sometimes just buy several growbags and use that compost in my pots

thanks !

11 Comments

Banned

B&M are the cheapest where I live.

Lidl do it cheap as well.

Lidi are doing peatfree groww bags for 3 plants for £1.19

Chuckles1001;8485589

Lidi are doing peatfree groww bags for 3 plants for £1.19

they are:thumbsup:
    lidl.co.uk/cps…htm

chesso;8488471

they … they are:thumbsup:http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_10259.htm

I know thats why i said it I just picked up a couple, got to say thou the peatfree ones really stink lol

Chuckles1001;8490907

I know thats why i said it I just picked up a couple, got to say thou … I know thats why i said it I just picked up a couple, got to say thou the peatfree ones really stink lol

Do you find that they are as good as the ordinary multipurpose? What do you grow?
    I always use multipurpose with added John Innes but I do feel a bit guilty.

chesso;8495165

Do you find that they are as good as the ordinary multipurpose? What do … Do you find that they are as good as the ordinary multipurpose? What do you grow?I always use multipurpose with added John Innes but I do feel a bit guilty.

Only a bit guilty, you should be ashamed!!! lol
    TBH, I have only just bought it, as i got the leaflet thou the door so thought I should pick a couple up, i have 3 different grow bags this year and am going to see which one does best. I have a 3 Asda ones for £1.50, 4 Homebase ones which were 4 for £5 and 2 Lidl ones for £1.19 (this is the only peatfree one i have). I am going to be growing Cucumbers, Chillies, peppers, Squash, Courgettes, tomartos, sping onions, carrots and lettuce, i know there is somehting else but cant remember off the top of my head and its peeing it down so not going to look lol
    I have strarted a lot of them off already in propergators and was going to transfer them over the weekend depending on the weather.
    Hope it helps So what you growing?

Good range of tasty stuff there.:thumbsup:

I was mainly wondering about using it for growing on flowering plants, which is what I mainly do!

I have bags (you know those kit ones!) of potatoes and a bag of carrots, plus tomatoes in the greenhouse in pots and a raised bed for salads etc. I'll be putting out some sweetcorn this year for the first time for ages. I've given up on peppers. Courgetttes will be in pots as well. Oh yes, a couple of dwarf french beans in a pot as well!

It'd be great if you could contribute to this thread:
    hotukdeals.com/ite…989
    and let us know how the plants get on in the different growbags :thumbsup:

chesso;8497942

Good range of tasty stuff there.:thumbsup:I was mainly wondering about … Good range of tasty stuff there.:thumbsup:I was mainly wondering about using it for growing on flowering plants, which is what I mainly do!I have bags (you know those kit ones!) of potatoes and a bag of carrots, plus tomatoes in the greenhouse in pots and a raised bed for salads etc. I'll be putting out some sweetcorn this year for the first time for ages. I've given up on peppers. Courgetttes will be in pots as well. Oh yes, a couple of dwarf french beans in a pot as well!It'd be great if you could contribute to this thread:http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/624433/over-the-garden-fence-2010-chat-pic?p=8492989 and let us know how the plants get on in the different growbags :thumbsup:

Hope so I am not using it to grow any flowers, i bought a seprate big bag for that.

I know the ones you mean, was thinking about getting the potatoes bag but never got round to it or saw it for a good enough deal anywhere lol, most of my growbags are going to be in the greenhouse, I will prob take the cucumbers and squashes and maybe the courgettes out of the greenhouse in june, and maybe 1/2 the tomatoes.
    Last year I had a great pepper plant, that gave me about 20 fruits (still living on my OH windowsill) and a great chillie plant that had at least 100 chillies off of it, i will be happy if i can get just one of each this year, they are hard to grow but was very happy with these 2. I am doing some tomartoes in pots and a courgette and a cucumber plant in a big pot each to, so will see how they turn out, I had 3 cougette plants last year, 1 in a pot and 2 in the ground, and the one in a pot had 1 small fruit and the 2 planted had 4-5 each, even though the pot plant had more time and water and food, i just dont think they do well in pots, they like to crawl to much, but am going to try again to see if i can et it to work. Not trying any beans or peas as i dont like them and she only likes them musy (ewwww).

I have my eye on that thread with a weekly update already, but other people seem to answer things sooner or i dont have a clue so keeping up with tips that might come up, I am like the jamie oliver of growing, a bit of this and a bit of that, not doing the norm but get good results most of the time, you shoul dhave seen my fertilizer lol

Chuckles1001;8499084

Hope so I am not using it to grow any flowers, i bought a seprate big … Hope so I am not using it to grow any flowers, i bought a seprate big bag for that.I know the ones you mean, was thinking about getting the potatoes bag but never got round to it or saw it for a good enough deal anywhere lol, most of my growbags are going to be in the greenhouse, I will prob take the cucumbers and squashes and maybe the courgettes out of the greenhouse in june, and maybe 1/2 the tomatoes. Last year I had a great pepper plant, that gave me about 20 fruits (still living on my OH windowsill) and a great chillie plant that had at least 100 chillies off of it, i will be happy if i can get just one of each this year, they are hard to grow but was very happy with these 2. I am doing some tomartoes in pots and a courgette and a cucumber plant in a big pot each to, so will see how they turn out, I had 3 cougette plants last year, 1 in a pot and 2 in the ground, and the one in a pot had 1 small fruit and the 2 planted had 4-5 each, even though the pot plant had more time and water and food, i just dont think they do well in pots, they like to crawl to much, but am going to try again to see if i can et it to work. Not trying any beans or peas as i dont like them and she only likes them musy (ewwww). I have my eye on that thread with a weekly update already, but other people seem to answer things sooner or i dont have a clue so keeping up with tips that might come up, I am like the jamie oliver of growing, a bit of this and a bit of that, not doing the norm but get good results most of the time, you shoul dhave seen my fertilizer lol

Haha - love your descriptions of your stuff.:thumbsup: Those peppers/chiilies have knocked the socks off my efforts.:w00t:
    I think you're right about courgettes liking to crawl. I give mine big pots - they hate my clay soil.
    Looking forwards to your thoughts/pics/ideas in our thread.
    Fertiliser - are we talking adding nitrogen here???;-)

chesso;8499689

Haha - love your descriptions of your stuff.:thumbsup: Those … Haha - love your descriptions of your stuff.:thumbsup: Those peppers/chiilies have knocked the socks off my efforts.:w00t:I think you're right about courgettes liking to crawl. I give mine big pots - they hate my clay soil.Looking forwards to your thoughts/pics/ideas in our thread.Fertiliser - are we talking adding nitrogen here???;-)

Thanks, I think (sorry about my spelling, severly dyslexic lol). Well like i said the chillies\peppers are very hard to grow, last year i had about 15 seedlings of each and carried on weeding out the small ones until i got those 2 but like i said very happy with them, just hoping i can do it again.
    My cougettes had big pots, 35cm ones, what size do you use? i am trying again this year with 35cm again.... i have not found it anywhere but i think the nodes that come off cougette\squash plants take in nutrients and water (thats what i think) and in a plant the first nodes are a foot away from the plant, so in a pot the nodes dont touch soil (pure guess though, only cos they seem to not quite root, but tunnel into the soil), I have never checked my soil i should i spose, but maybe one year, i have luckly been blessed with greehish fingers i spose lol
    i will post anything i think will help someone in there, not sure about the pics though, maybe at the end of the year lol
    and yes you got it weeeeeeeeee lol 1/2 cup in a watering can, my OH mate did not look inpressed when i asked if she could wee in a bottle for me and save it, but my thinking was a pregnet woman would have more and be better, as there bodies are working more to grow the thing so more stuff makes it to the wee, but thats just my thought again lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky11
      2. Xbox one region23
      3. Legal advice?56
      4. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA66

See more discussions