Groups

compressed air

does anyone know where i can get a can of compressed air to blast all the dust out the inside of my computer, or would it be just as good to give it a hoovering

20 Comments

Can get cans from most P.C. shops but i find a vacuum and soft paint brush just as good and no cost

Original Poster

cheers, pricey delivery though,

Original Poster

ill give hoovering ago today and see how i get on

You can get these cans from any ART store.
    They use them to "power" airbrushes! (MUST BE CHEMICAL FREE!)

Don't forget to unplug all power supplies before you start spraying

Shima

If using the vacucum cleaner be careful if the tube is metal that it does not touch anything inside the case.

I actually use a hair drier (plastic nozzle). Set it to "cool" and blow all the dust out.

I use a soft CLEAN brush to dislodge the dust around the fans and heat sinks.

Best to do it outside (if it is not raining) so the dust does not go all over the house.

if you use the air cans, dont shake the can

you can pick up the cans in tescos for about £3 - £4

Dont forget to take it outside tho Yuk it will make a real mess

Guys, just be careful of static discharges (as guilbert53 alluded to) when using a vacuum or hairdryer, you really can fry static-sensitive parts without realising it until you try to switch the PC back on! The compressed air cans are your safest bet as they are sold for that job.

I just got one from Asda £4.98, its the large size. Hoover doesnt dislodge as well as this though. Looks like snow when you give it a blast.

Original Poster

didnt realise ou could get this stuff from supermarkets, i'll have a look in asda today.

thanks for the help everybody.

i quick question though, i was reading something on the internet about cleaning the inside and it said to leave the power supply connected, i assumed this was to do with discharging static, where as other sites say unplug it. shall i plug it in or not?

Original Poster

also should i stop the fans from rotating when i blow air through them?

guerilla;1697163

didnt realise ou could get this stuff from supermarkets, i'll have a look … didnt realise ou could get this stuff from supermarkets, i'll have a look in asda today.thanks for the help everybody.i quick question though, i was reading something on the internet about cleaning the inside and it said to leave the power supply connected, i assumed this was to do with discharging static, where as other sites say unplug it. shall i plug it in or not?

You should be alright with it plugged in as long as u dont open the box inside called the psu, all else is 12v DC max, use a natural fiber brush not plastic and a vac should be fine as long as u just rest it in the bottom,
    ps dont touch anything on the circuit boards the human body can generate 10s of thousands of volts static hence the leave earthed by plu.
    ps i do this daily on many machines

Noticed my computer was very dusty inside and thought about hoovering or compressed air. But is there any real reason to, will it improve performance?

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50342989/Anti_Static_Clothes.jpg

Don't pay for air!

Blow a balloon up with a bike pump then tape end over a straw,
    pinch or bend straw to stop air coming out. :geek:

owlass;1697488

Don't pay for air!Blow a balloon up with a bike pump then tape end over a … Don't pay for air!Blow a balloon up with a bike pump then tape end over a straw,pinch or bend straw to stop air coming out. :geek:

Or use a set of bag pipes.

maueef;1697269

Noticed my computer was very dusty inside and thought about hoovering or … Noticed my computer was very dusty inside and thought about hoovering or compressed air. But is there any real reason to, will it improve performance?

As most modern cpus have thermal throttling yes it can improve performance, and a bit of peace and quiet

Or if you have a tyre air pump you could use that as long as you have some way of plugging it in ( better than dragging your pc to the car):oops:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***317
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047116
      3. Nectar launch eGift card redemption for selected brands including Currys, A…89
      4. Spotify Family Premium share513

See more discussions