Groups
    EXPIRED

Compression End Cap (For Water Pipe)

Just bought a 'cold fill only' washing machine and needed a bit of advice of capping the hot water pipe. The pipes have got no turn off valves so have had to turn the house water completely. Bought a 22mm cap from Wickes (like the one in the pic) but this was slightly too big so have returned it. Tried fitting a coke bottle cap and it screws on but water is slightly dripping and imagine it wont hold when i turn the water back on. Wickes only sell 15mm and 22mm, does anyone know where i can buy something smaller or have any other tips?

9 Comments

dont know 4 sure but it sounds like your pipework is imperial 3/4 inch and not metric 22 mm , im sure if you bought the wickes 22 mm end cap and just swapped the olive for an imperial one (i know b and q sell them) , failing that buy a push fit end cap but you might have to go to a plumbers merchant

Original Poster

nickleicester

dont know 4 sure but it sounds like your pipework is imperial 3/4 inch … dont know 4 sure but it sounds like your pipework is imperial 3/4 inch and not metric 22 mm , im sure if you bought the wickes 22 mm end cap and just swapped the olive for an imperial one (i know b and q sell them) , failing that buy a push fit end cap but you might have to go to a plumbers merchant

thanks for the advice!

Original Poster

got a 3/4" end from b&q but now dripping, can i use tape to wrap round it?? (if so, what tape is best?)

not intended to sound crude....lol

Edited by: "steveuk" 12th Feb 2011

ptfe tape

ptfe tape as suggested above - wind several layers around the thread then screw on the cap but you need to use the rubber washer (the same as you use for connecting the water pipe to the washing machine hose) as that is what creates the seal. If you're trying to re-use the old one that is probably your problem.

Water pressure can increase at night so make sure you check it in the morning.
    Edited by: "gari189" 12th Feb 2011

remove the fitting that is on the end of the copper tube and then fit your 15 mm cap

Original Poster

got it fixed last night, had tried removing the fitting but it was completely jammed on. thanks everyone.

i have the same problem.i have used the water infill cap from the old washing machine and inserted a piece of rubber to try and create a seal inside the cap.also inserted some plumber's mate in the small piece of pipe still attached..left with a very small almost indectable weep.not permanent answer but may suffice as an interim measure.i tried a 22mm cap and as you say slightly too big.need a screw cap of say 20mm/21mm.?

Original Poster

the ptfe tape did the trick
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. which drill bit set for bosch cordless drill ixo range? hex?11
      2. GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private44
      3. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
      4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027

See more discussions