Computer

Posted 17th Oct
Hi

I'm after a pc. Never owned one. Had an Xbox ps2, ps3, xbox one s.

I now need a computer for kids schoolwork so thought I would get one I could do some gaming on.

Can anybody point me in the right direction please

I don't want to be spending more than £500 preferably

I can put windows and programs on myself.

Also I don't mind self building

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Leave your gaming to xbox , PS

You are not going to get a decent gaming PC for £500.
Agree with above you will spend that just on graphics card at least to get a game running like a console..
Cisco06060617/10/2019 15:43

Leave your gaming to xbox , PSYou are not going to get a decent gaming PC …Leave your gaming to xbox , PSYou are not going to get a decent gaming PC for £500.

You can get reasonable enough for that price if you shop wisely, at least 1080p levels for most games. I don't have time to post an example now, but I'm sure someone else will.
You can get a half decent PC for £500 nowadays, just need to shop around. However you then have to buy all the accessories and monitor etc.
If you're starting from scratch £500 is a tough one as by the time you've budgeted for a case, a PSU, a keyboard, a mouse and potentially a monitor you could have half your budget spent. The One S you have isn't a bad console. I'd make the argument to buy the kid a £200 reconditioned laptop in a Dell sale and keep the money for the PS5 launch.
Maggy123417/10/2019 16:23

If you're starting from scratch £500 is a tough one as by the time you've …If you're starting from scratch £500 is a tough one as by the time you've budgeted for a case, a PSU, a keyboard, a mouse and potentially a monitor you could have half your budget spent. The One S you have isn't a bad console. I'd make the argument to buy the kid a £200 reconditioned laptop in a Dell sale and keep the money for the PS5 launch.

I’d add the money planned to spend on the ps5 to the budget and buy a decent gaming machine.

Consoles are awful and the best thing I ever did was go over to PC gaming!
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 17th Oct
If you up it to around £600 you should be able to get something hald decent - uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…WXv

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £112.79
Motherboard - MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £72.98
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory £69.59
Storage - Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £59.99
Video Card - PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8 GB Red Dragon Video Card £158.99
Case - Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case £57.95
Power Supply - Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply £52.99

Total: £585.28
I sold my one s.

No just the one account.

I don't mind going up to £600 Not including monitor, keyboard, mouse

Thanks for your help
What games are you wanting to play?

The best way i find to go about a budget build is to get a Ryzen with integrated graphics and then add a gfx card later.
m1keyp1key17/10/2019 17:17

What games are you wanting to play? The best way i find to go about a …What games are you wanting to play? The best way i find to go about a budget build is to get a Ryzen with integrated graphics and then add a gfx card later.

I disagree as you would then be settling for a 4 core CPU, better to get a 2600 and a 570/580 if your budget can stretch.
Gormond17/10/2019 17:31

I disagree as you would then be settling for a 4 core CPU, better to get a …I disagree as you would then be settling for a 4 core CPU, better to get a 2600 and a 570/580 if your budget can stretch.

You can disagree as much as you like but some people don't have £300 to blow on a cpu and gfx card. Therefore if you can't afford it you go for the next best thing.....which is the option to add a gfx card later. You also get the option to then upgrade the cpu once you get a gfx card.

It's a great way of building on a budget and also taking advantage of deals/coupons etc or 2nd hand items on ebay.

I've picked up some right bargains over the last year to upgrade my pcs.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 17th Oct
m1keyp1key17/10/2019 17:37

You can disagree as much as you like but some people don't have £300 to …You can disagree as much as you like but some people don't have £300 to blow on a cpu and gfx card. Therefore if you can't afford it you go for the next best thing.....which is the option to add a gfx card later. You also get the option to then upgrade the cpu once you get a gfx card. It's a great way of building on a budget.

He already said he can stretch to £600.
Gormond17/10/2019 17:40

He already said he can stretch to £600.

Exactly "stretch" so he doesnt need to be told you have to have this that and the other and it will come to £599.99

I'm giving the OP options as there more than just your way to build a pc.
£500 is a big enough budget for a gaming pc.
Sometimes can pick up something hard for a decent price.
Gormond17/10/2019 17:31

I disagree as you would then be settling for a 4 core CPU, better to get a …I disagree as you would then be settling for a 4 core CPU, better to get a 2600 and a 570/580 if your budget can stretch.

I wouldn't want less than a 580 as it is the minimum recommended on a lot of new AAA games (speaking as someone with a 570). You also need a beefier PSU than the 450watt listed above as it is below manufacturer recommendation and you want a bit more for longevity and future GPU upgrade anyway.
A 580 will likely be below paar relative to next gen consoles and recommendations of a 512GB hard drive will mean you can save around 4 new games - it would be better to get a a big cheap mechanical drive and suffer a slower start-up if you are having to delete games it takes half a day to download just to install another.
I slummed my build as I reused parts that are 8 year old but if someone is starting from scratch you want a gaming system that significantly betters a console system. I would budget accordingly or just buy a console (which are always cheaper relative to their performance). Saying that I prefer PC gaming.
I see there is the below item

hotukdeals.com/dea…826

Would this be a better option?

Even on that they say 450w power supply is OK?

Also I assume games get installed where the operating system is?

I can't run it on ssd and save games to Seperate 3.5"hdd like 2tb?
rboyo201018/10/2019 09:40

I see there is the below …I see there is the below itemhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ccl-kallis-ryzen-7-2700x-rx-590-8gb-512gb-nvme-ssd-16gb-ddr4-3000mhz-gaming-pc-60999-at-cclfree-borderlands-3-3309826Would this be a better option?Even on that they say 450w power supply is OK?Also I assume games get installed where the operating system is?I can't run it on ssd and save games to Seperate 3.5"hdd like 2tb?

Very few PCs will use over 450W, you really need to be using an RX Vega or RTX 2080 to need more. Here is a graph of total system load using a very high end CPU (9900k at 5Ghz):

38691896-eoi3l.jpg
The system you linked looks like a great deal, very similar to my build but a little better (8 core CPU and 10% faster GPU).

Sure you can install games to other drives, I do this all the time - Most launchers like Steam even let you setup multiple install locations and move games between them.
Edited by: "Gormond" 18th Oct
rboyo201018/10/2019 09:40

I see there is the below …I see there is the below itemhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ccl-kallis-ryzen-7-2700x-rx-590-8gb-512gb-nvme-ssd-16gb-ddr4-3000mhz-gaming-pc-60999-at-cclfree-borderlands-3-3309826Would this be a better option?Even on that they say 450w power supply is OK?Also I assume games get installed where the operating system is?I can't run it on ssd and save games to Seperate 3.5"hdd like 2tb?

Seems a good deal. You can pick up a Windows 10 code on eBay for less than a fiver.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants