Groups

Computer Advice

Banned
    My friend was chatting to someone on the net, the person sent them a file (supposedly a picture) but it didnt work so they sent them instructions how to 'get rid' of it...

now this person seems to have a lot of info suddenly on my friend, including al their pics, files, IP address etc...can even tell them exactly whats in their PC's music library, also passwords on their e-mail etc suddenly changed

I say they were sent a virus which allows access to their PC...am I wrong?

what should they do? I say Police cause shes Scared this bloke has too much info on her (STALKER!)

49 Comments

Banned

i think he need a good firewall, windows has one but it might be turned off..

Download HiJackthis: trendsecure.com/por…his

Use it to create a log. (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX ANYTHING WITH HJT ON YOUR OWN , you could damage something permanently).

Post the log and and a description of the problem at [url]www.techmonkeys.co.uk[/url]

You could report this to the police but from past experience they wont do a great deal about it.

If you want to pm me any info you have on the person doing the harrassment, I will track em down and get you some personal details on them too.

Original Poster Banned

SmartWay;4305991

i think he need a good firewall, windows has one but it might be turned … i think he need a good firewall, windows has one but it might be turned off..

'the file ht was sent turned it off, cause suddenly everyday it was popping up telling him he ws at risk

IF he/she has access through a certain number of viruses on an un protected client its viable. I would get the pc wipped. Or track down the virus on the pc with some good software. Its probably easier to back up things and start on a full wipe.

Sounds like a back door trojan to me. And maybe a key logger. If your friend uses internet banking they need to deal with that first, let their bank know their details have been acquired. NOt really sure how the police look at this kind of thing though, sorry.

They need to download superantispyware, malwarebytes and combo fix, update them all and run scans. try to clean off everything.

Original Poster Banned

any of this sounds familiar I advise u to check

THE PERSON WAS A MEMBER HERE

Ths is NOT turning into a witchunt and I will decline to comment, but peoples security needs to be addressed here

Guys... if a clean installation was done on the system would it get rid of something like this?

sadiebabes;4306091

Guys... if a clean installation was done on the system would it get rid … Guys... if a clean installation was done on the system would it get rid of something like this?

It would, but it's a last resort, unless the PC in question doesn't have lots of wanted files, piks etc, then a clean install might as well be done.

I would disconnect my Internet then run Search & Destroy (make sure you have downloaded the latest files first) and see what it finds, if it's a trojan it should find and erase it including any gateways the trojan may have opened.

Worth getting something like avast or Lavasoft (both have free versions) The former will add a function to right clicking a file to scan for virus / trojan etc and just do this to all files received, they are downloaded into My Docs>received files anyway

ChipSticks;4306113

It would, but it's a last resort, unless the PC in question doesn't have … It would, but it's a last resort, unless the PC in question doesn't have lots of wanted files, piks etc, then a clean install might as well be done.

Okies, thank you Rep left x

sadiebabes;4306091

Guys... if a clean installation was done on the system would it get rid … Guys... if a clean installation was done on the system would it get rid of something like this?

Probably. Definately sounds like a back-door trojan to me. If email addresses have been compromised etc and you know with certainty (and evidence) who did it then I would actually consider reporting it to the police.

If it was via a message/link on MSN or similar it could just be their email/MSN has been compromised, FWIW never click on links from MSN unless you are expecting them and know what they are!

Oh and ODB, in this instance naming and shaming would be a good thing, no one wants to go through this carp, warning people helps.

Original Poster Banned

jah128;4306147

If it was via a message/link on MSN or similar it could just be their … If it was via a message/link on MSN or similar it could just be their email/MSN has been compromised, FWIW never click on links from MSN unless you are expecting them and know what they are!

It was sent by MSN but the person DID tell them they were sending, then gave the instructions that actually were installing it not removing it

ChipSticks;4306151

Oh and ODB, in this instance naming and shaming would be a good thing, no … Oh and ODB, in this instance naming and shaming would be a good thing, no one wants to go through this carp, warning people helps.

I'll second that

Original Poster Banned

ChipSticks;4306151

Oh and ODB, in this instance naming and shaming would be a good thing, no … Oh and ODB, in this instance naming and shaming would be a good thing, no one wants to go through this carp, warning people helps.

I would love too but it would be wrong of me, so just a 'please check' will do

sorry x

ODB_69;4306325

I would love too but it would be wrong of me, so just a 'please check' … I would love too but it would be wrong of me, so just a 'please check' will dosorry x

fair enough.

Just saw it was through msn, is your friend definitely sure they were talking to who they think they were? My friend had her msn account hacked and the f***er sat chatting to her mates before sending them viruses.

ODB_69;4306321

It was sent by MSN but the person DID tell them they were sending, then … It was sent by MSN but the person DID tell them they were sending, then gave the instructions that actually were installing it not removing it

Was it definately themselves giving the instructions though? Lots of people get MSN viruses which appear as the person sending the messages but are in reality a bit of code doing so when their account is hijacked...

They usually manifest as the person with the hijacked account sending messages to everyone on their list, often with a message like "Check out this photo.." or "Is it you in this photo...?" etc etc.

Its defo a back door trojan with keylogger. Unfortunately unless you can identify exactly which kind it it then it may have replicated itself and linked itself into the start up process in the registry. This would be an example of a sophisticated one tho, or it may just be a basic trojan and keylogger program that needs deleted.

I'd definitely not connect to the internet until its been removed. Have a look in task manager processes to see if there is a proccess name running that you dont recognise (if you are familiar with this) as it has to be loaded into memory and running in order for it to operate. This can be done offline so that nobody can access the PC via the internet.

Obviously make sure you know what you're doing as well and dont delete anything until you're sure! :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

jah128;4306363

Was it definately themselves giving the instructions though? Lots of … Was it definately themselves giving the instructions though? Lots of people get MSN viruses which appear as the person sending the messages but are in reality a bit of code doing so when their account is hijacked...They usually manifest as the person with the hijacked account sending messages to everyone on their list, often with a message like "Check out this photo.." or "Is it you in this photo...?" etc etc.

nah defo them...I asked this too cause i had one ages ago

Thats like saying i know there's a rapist on your street but i'm not telling you who it is,rather alarmist:w00t:

I say this person must have 'issues' of the highest order. Report them to the Police :thumbsup:

ODB_69;4306325

I would love too but it would be wrong of me, so just a 'please check' … I would love too but it would be wrong of me, so just a 'please check' will dosorry x

Hope you have reported to an admin.

Original Poster Banned

Adam2050;4306506

Hope you have reported to an admin.

its away from the site therefore nothing to do with HUKD otherwise i would have yes

Need to wh*re it about before I can rep you again ODB... but thank you xxxxx

Does anyone know whether computers on the same network would be effected too?

Original Poster Banned

sadiebabes;4306610

Need to wh*re it about before I can rep you again ODB... but thank you … Need to wh*re it about before I can rep you again ODB... but thank you xxxxx

no worries, just glad thats 2 people less they can stalk :thumbsup:

sadiebabes;4306635

Does anyone know whether computers on the same network would be effected … Does anyone know whether computers on the same network would be effected too?

Unlikely unless they have also opened the file, but worth running a scan on them all regardless :thumbsup:

jah128;4306665

Unlikely unless they have also opened the file, but worth running a scan … Unlikely unless they have also opened the file, but worth running a scan on them all regardless :thumbsup:

Thank you muchly xx Rep left xx

ODB is just getting some help

Banned

Syzable;4307397

It's you then is it. :w00t: Seeing as you have the ability to access … It's you then is it. :w00t: Seeing as you have the ability to access peoples PM's.Case solved............i can now leave this thread in peace. :-D

anything I need to know ? :thumbsup: oh and game on its way .. who the debs troll ? :roll:

dog_cop;4307413

anything I need to know ? :thumbsup: oh and game on its way .. who the … anything I need to know ? :thumbsup: oh and game on its way .. who the debs troll ? :roll:

Don't know.............i got lost ages ago. One for the techy's methinks.

Thanking you.............hope the postie comes tomorrow :-D

Banned

Syzable;4307439

Don't know.............i got lost ages ago. One for the techy's methinks. … Don't know.............i got lost ages ago. One for the techy's methinks. :)Thanking you.............hope the postie comes tomorrow :-D

sounds quite serious and makes me wonder about letting any of the nutters off here on my msn:?

t0mm;4307467

You're worse than all the trolls on this forum put together and … You're worse than all the trolls on this forum put together and multiplied by 8.

ur avi would b better if it was watford......

acecatcher3;4307477

ur avi would b better if it was watford......

didn't we beat u 3-2?

how are u bud.

Original Poster Banned

acecatcher3;4307477

ur avi would b better if it was Villa......

+1

Banned

ODB_69;4307498

+1

-10:p

dog_cop;4307532

-10:p

didn't we beat u 3-0?

t0mm;4307492

didn't we beat u 3-2? how are u bud.

we have beaten u plenty of times :thumbsup:

Banned

t0mm;4307555

didn't we beat u 3-0?

sorry did someone squeek :w00t:

dog_cop;4307594

sorry did someone squeek :w00t:

:friends:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Rest In Peace Jerry Lewis.66
      2. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?66
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?99
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846240

See more discussions