Groups

Computer advise please.

Just a quick question:
    I have just purchased a new compaq laptop with 2Gb of memory, but I am really disapointed with the performance, it's SOOOOO slow! Took Norton off straight away, and installed AVG instead. But still very slow. It came with Vista.
    Would it be possible to wipe the C drive and install XP instead?
    Also if I do this, am I going to have problems with the buid-in sd reader/build-in wlan etc?
    Am a bit of a novice, don't want to ruin my new laptop by doing somwthing silly...

Many thanks,

18 Comments

Banned

post the link to where you got your laptop specs first

forget win 7 and vista

xp all the way

everything will be fine you wont have any problems

also, list the softwares you have on your pc

once you install xp we will remove all the processes you dont need which will speed it up even more

What spec is the PC ?.If you do choose to run XP it should run faster and you shouldnt have any problems with drivers and hardware,You could try Windows 7 as that is a bit faster than vista and you can download the trial version for free,

Yes its possible to install XP on it and you shouldn't have any problems with card reader and wlan, although you may need drivers, if they didnt come with it you should be able to get them off the compaq website.

The first thing I would do is check if the laptop has a driver library for xp on the HP website. If it does you're good to go. Burn any recovery disks if the laptop was not supplied with any before you do anything though.

Alternatively you could google pc-decrapifier and use it to assist with bloat removal. Just google all of the applications to see what they do and whether you actually need them.

You could just add an extra gig to the machine, Vista runs fine run on 3 gig. Also, being a new laptop you could be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it's released in October. It's as quick as XP and very nice indeed. Have a look into whether this upgrade scheme applies for you. :thumbsup:

kapows;5871844

post the link to where you got your laptop specs firstforget win 7 and … post the link to where you got your laptop specs firstforget win 7 and vistaxp all the wayeverything will be fine you wont have any problemsalso, list the softwares you have on your pconce you install xp we will remove all the processes you dont need which will speed it up even more

Don't agree with that at all. Windows 7 has more than impressed me during RC stage.

Just turn off all the crap in vista and it'll be fine (aero, widgets etc). XP actually tends to run slower on new computers than a properly setup vista install in my experience.

Original Poster

Thanks for the replys.
    The specs are as follows:
    Compaq Presario CQ60-305EA 15.6-inch Notebook with AMD Sempron Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8200M

I have already put an extra 1Gb in but it's still really slow.

BEANZ-ON-TOAST;5871922

Thanks for the replys.The specs are as follows:Compaq Presario CQ60-305EA … Thanks for the replys.The specs are as follows:Compaq Presario CQ60-305EA 15.6-inch Notebook with AMD Sempron Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8200MI have already put an extra 1Gb in but it's still really slow.

Do you use it on battery all the time and have you noticed much difference when it is plugged in,
    If you go to
    Start
    control panel
    power options
    and see which power plan is selected,

Banned

BEANZ-ON-TOAST;5871922

Thanks for the replys.The specs are as follows:Compaq Presario CQ60-305EA … Thanks for the replys.The specs are as follows:Compaq Presario CQ60-305EA 15.6-inch Notebook with AMD Sempron Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8200MI have already put an extra 1Gb in but it's still really slow.

did you uninstall norton properly using the norton uninstall uitlity?

avg isnt very good either these days.

AVAST or AVIRA are better imo

Banned

BEANZ-ON-TOAST;5871922

you bought this NEW and it came with an AMD Sempron? Isnt that a really old processor?

blackviper.com/Win…htm

here's a link to help you choose what you could disable on vista as shengis said.

Original Poster

Norton was uninstalled properly and I am using AVAST.
    It is running on mains power most of the time.

Banned

BEANZ-ON-TOAST;5872025

Norton was uninstalled properly and I am using AVAST.It is running on … Norton was uninstalled properly and I am using AVAST.It is running on mains power most of the time.

oh ok, thats good. its just you mentioned AVG up top.

csiman;5871995

you bought this NEW and it came with an AMD Sempron? Isnt that a really … you bought this NEW and it came with an AMD Sempron? Isnt that a really old processor?

No, Sempron is AMD's budget option. It did replace the Durons a while ago but as far as I know the current ones are the same architecture as the Turions and mobile Athlons.

You'd have to be mad to put XP on a new computer now as you'll end up reupgrading half way through it's lifetime as developers stop supporting it.

I'd not dick about uninstalling programs and other half measures. Assuming you don't want to spend much money on hardware getting a faster HDD then I'd try doing a fresh vista install.

what are you comparing it to when you say it is slow?
    possibly there is a fault with the hdd, rare but does happen on new ones.

its the cpu, its just wayyyy too slow added with the 1gb ram and ur asking for it!

Original Poster

Sorry, it was Avast, not AVG - my mistake.
    Have disabled some Vista stuff and now it's quite a bit faster. Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Have ordered some more memory too. I know it's a budget laptop, but it was slower than my (lower spec) old laptop. Now it's OK.
    Thanks again.

Banned

BEANZ-ON-TOAST;5876987

Sorry, it was Avast, not AVG - my mistake.Have disabled some Vista stuff … Sorry, it was Avast, not AVG - my mistake.Have disabled some Vista stuff and now it's quite a bit faster. Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Have ordered some more memory too. I know it's a budget laptop, but it was slower than my (lower spec) old laptop. Now it's OK.Thanks again.

I'd also check what is running in the background as compaq may have pre-loaded a lot of software that is hogging resources that you dont need.

this is a good guide to speeding up vista written by M$

microsoft.com/dow…=en
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you use a case on your iPhone?910
      2. What's the name of that brand that looks like Playstation symbols?23
      3. Input Lag v Refresh rate on a TV..44
      4. Need help with home Internet dropping out please11

See more discussions