Groups

Computer Engineers

Hello - I'm new here - first time looked at this forum and already have learned a whole bunch of interesting stuff. One for the future methinks. :thumbsup:

I have a quick question

Has anybody ever had to have a computer engineer come to their house fix something on their PC. I had a chap come out from thetechguys.com The Tech Guys and they charge £60
    an hour for this service. As I understand it my problem wasn't that bad I didn't have to have bits and chips or whatever replaced but I was wondering if this seems like a reasonable amount to be charged?

Any experience with this?

30 Comments

Welcome.

When it comes to PC callouts, £60 seems a fair price. Basically, you can agree to pay & call the guy out, or say no.

It's worth asking around to see if any of your mates or their mates know enough to help. But make sure they know what they're doing before they start! Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions; if you get vague answers then don't let them near your PC.

lots of other forums too, and lately, this one has offered some great help.
    PC's can be fixed remotely if you can trust someone enough.

BonJovi

Hello - I'm new here - first time looked at this forum and already have … Hello - I'm new here - first time looked at this forum and already have learned a whole bunch of interesting stuff. One for the future methinks. :thumbsup: I have a quick question Has anybody ever had to have a computer engineer come to their house fix something on their PC. I had a chap come out from ]The Tech Guys and they charge £60an hour for this service. As I understand it my problem wasn't that bad I didn't have to have bits and chips or whatever replaced but I was wondering if this seems like a reasonable amount to be charged?Any experience with this?

where you based ???

im in the computer industry and repair comps for family/friends, wouldnt mind getting £60 call out if i can hehe

such a pain fixing some 1's comp when ur in full time work though so dont tend to offer alot ov help

Being a IT Graduate, i learned most of it through college, uni and bit of self study myself. But mostly joining other forums and having mates who are good at this stuff and share the secrets. I like to think i can handle most PC related problems now. Just dont mention programming.

Oh, I love programming. Even though I'm only just starting out, lol.

BonJovi

Hello - I'm new here - first time looked at this forum and already have … Hello - I'm new here - first time looked at this forum and already have learned a whole bunch of interesting stuff. One for the future methinks. :thumbsup: I have a quick question Has anybody ever had to have a computer engineer come to their house fix something on their PC. I had a chap come out from ]The Tech Guys and they charge £60an hour for this service. As I understand it my problem wasn't that bad I didn't have to have bits and chips or whatever replaced but I was wondering if this seems like a reasonable amount to be charged?Any experience with this?

I paid £60 when my laptop went down

£60 per hour? I live in the North and I remember reading a company charges £25 per hour and no call out fee, if they can't fix it you don't get charged.

But your best bet is always ask on forums, just type in google PC forum or something and you will find a few. Ask away, they love to help people out.

You can always ask here, & we'll see what we can do to help you...

Joshanna

Your laptop went down on you?? I must have missed that on the list of features when I bought mine....
    :w00t:

suchafunkymonkey

Your laptop went down on you?? I must have missed that on the list of … Your laptop went down on you?? I must have missed that on the list of features when I bought mine....:w00t:

All i can say to that is :shock:

Made me laugh though :giggle: if it did there'd be no use for you men :giggle:

suchafunkymonkey

Your laptop went down on you?? I must have missed that on the list of … Your laptop went down on you?? I must have missed that on the list of features when I bought mine....:w00t:

Maybe worth the £60 then !!!

Joshanna

where did you get your lap top? sounds like a HOT DEAL to me!! :whistling:

i repair pcs part time... if you're around harrow/london

loupomm

where did you get your lap top? sounds like a HOT DEAL to me!! … where did you get your lap top? sounds like a HOT DEAL to me!! :whistling:

I feel so :oops: about that comment now :oops:

Joshanna

I feel so :oops: about that comment now :oops:

dont worry :thumbsup:

its all fun :-D

Joshanna

All i can say to that is :shock:Made me laugh though :giggle: if it did … All i can say to that is :shock:Made me laugh though :giggle: if it did there'd be no use for you men :giggle:

There's no pleasing women. Even if the laptop could do stuff like that, you'd be complaining that hard disk wasn't big enough or it was double-clicking in the wrong place...

suchafunkymonkey

There's no pleasing women. Even if the laptop could do stuff like that, … There's no pleasing women. Even if the laptop could do stuff like that, you'd be complaining that hard disk wasn't big enough or it was double-clicking in the wrong place...

PMSL! :giggle:
    I bet you could carry this on and on :giggle:

Joshanna

PMSL! :giggle: I bet you could carry this on and on :giggle:

I was going to add in something about a floppy disk causing all kinds of problems, but that would be immature....

duckmagicuk2

Oh, I love programming. Even though I'm only just starting out, lol.

You mad! your life is over as we speak.

Joshanna

PMSL! :giggle: I bet you could carry this on and on :giggle:

If you're problem is virus related maybe you should have considered using protection :thumbsup:

I'm free..and not for laptops going down!...but seriously I repair all my friends and realatives PCs for nowt more than a few pints....probably could have taken it up as a business but I could never make it as I hate ripping people off....and lets be honest some PC repairers take customers for a ride cos they know nowt...just like some garages.

BonJovi

Yep loads of experience with this.

£60 is a fair price for a qualified engineer.

It wasn't that long ago that businesses would pay £170 for the 1st hour and £70 per 1/2 hour after.

Your not just paying for the fix but also for the diagnostics and experience. We constantly have to update out knowledge base and sit exams.

It really bugs me when after a days work some so called friend or worse a relative that I've not seen for ages, phones me up at 9pm and wants me to fix his PC over the phone.

Mind you I didn't complain when I was sent to Paris for a week just to run an audit and install Windows XP :-D

MBeeching

If you're problem is virus related maybe you should have considered using … If you're problem is virus related maybe you should have considered using protection :thumbsup:

PMSL!
    Last time this happened i ended up with not only a virus, but a child :shock:

Gives a whole new meaning to the windows "StickyKeys" feature...

Top ten reasons why computers are better than boy/girlfriends:
    10. You can turn them off when you're done with them.
    9. They never say, "You can't login tonight, I have a headache."
    8. You can tell them anything, and they will always listen.
    7. You can program them to give you the answers you want to hear.
    6. They are never too tired.
    5. If you come home at 3am, they don't ask where you've been.
    4. They don't hog the bed and steal all the covers.
    3. They don't eat (unless you count disks).
    2. They remember everything you want them to remember, and forget everything you want them to forget.
    1. They never complain that you don't take them anywhere.

I have computer repair skills in the somerset area and as I'm currently in full time work doing else what I do a bit in my spare time and normally charge abou £15 an hour.

I'm happy to help in the Telford area, but I don't drive so anyone needing help would have to come to me. I'm cheap too.

Original Poster

Wow - loads of answers thanks for all the tips. Its a bit of maze out there this whole thing.

Just before I make any decisions on this I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with The Tech Guys before or would it be better to go with a local guy?

Thanks again - keep it popping. x

You need to ask some questions:

Is the work guaranteed? What happens if they lose any of your data? Do they have some satisfied cutomers' details so that you can check their ability? Does the PC stay at your house or do they take it from you? If they take it from you do they offer a stand-in? (VERY unikely, but still worth asking). Most important - what happens if things go wrong?

Original Poster

I'll be sure to bear that in mind when it comes to it - good advice thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553743
      2. Any PS4 News Here29313797
      3. word association Game73844448
      4. SWEET SUNDAY CODES4562

See more discussions