Groups

Computer fan

Thanks problem solved.

24 Comments

You probably just need to blow the dust from the CPU cooler,

If the fans sre working properly it shouldn't be overheating.

So, just give it a good sweep out, check the fan/s are working and leave the side off for a bit. If it's still overheating then your problem is probably a bit more involved.

Original Poster

I've gone as far as hoovering the bloody thing and using a brush....nothing works!

Are the fans turning on the CPU and Power supply and does it have a rear case fan /

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6162843

Are the fans turning on the CPU and Power supply and does it have a rear … Are the fans turning on the CPU and Power supply and does it have a rear case fan /

There is a rear fan, a fan randomly placed in the middle with 3 copper pipe looking things coming out and a fan in the big box thing which I assume is the CPU....the power supply is right behind that box....I can't give you any more details than that :?

Take your PC to a technician, something doesn't sound right to be honest.

madmatt;6162916

There is a rear fan, a fan randomly placed in the middle with 3 copper … There is a rear fan, a fan randomly placed in the middle with 3 copper pipe looking things coming out and a fan in the big box thing which I assume is the CPU....the power supply is right behind that box....I can't give you any more details than that :?

Yes but are all three spinning ?.

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6162929

Yes but are all three spinning ?.

They're all spinning yes. My friend ran some heat test (gave me a programme to d/l) and the computer crashed immediately so he is sure it's something to do with the heat.

madmatt;6162984

the computer crashed immediately

Doesn't mean that is heat related, sounds more like it is memory related.

PhearFactor;6162923

Take your PC to a technician, something doesn't sound right to be honest.

Are you gonna pay?

And who told you (OP) that it was overheating?

madmatt;6162984

They're all spinning yes. My friend ran some heat test (gave me a … They're all spinning yes. My friend ran some heat test (gave me a programme to d/l) and the computer crashed immediately so he is sure it's something to do with the heat.

It could be that the CPU cooler isnt seated properly but then it could be the PSU or one of several things ,Not really something that can be diagnosed without actually seeing it,Best to find someone who can take a look for you,

deek72;6163026

Are you gonna pay?

Huh? Me?

Original Poster

Hang on guys Ill get a pic...give me 5secs

You can download and run speedfan and it will tell you the core temps which you can post here ,
    almico.com/spe…exe

Original Poster

Edit: no worries

Original Poster

I think I've got myself into bigger trouble. I reconnected the comp to run that test but now I get this:

Windowsn could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\system32\hal.dll.

Plase re-install a copy of the above file.

It doesn't let me do anything now!?!?!

Like I said in my first post, you really need someone who knows what they are doing to look at the PC. There is a mixture of software/hardware issues now and to try to fix it yourself is err.. As you just found out, not a good idea lol.

Banned

madmatt;6163325
    I think I've got myself into bigger trouble. I reconnected the comp to run that test but now I get this:

Windowsn could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\system32\hal.dll.

Plase re-install a copy of the above file.

It doesn't let me do anything now!?!?!

sounds like your hard drive is on its way out

unplug your pc from the mains. wait 10 secs, then reconnect and boot up

its not overheating imo

I'm in pretty much the same boat.

If I try to watch a Youtube video (or do anything beyond browsing) the computer just switches off. I looked around at all the bits and found the graphics card has a little fan hanging off it. That puts me in the position of attempting to replace it and finding out it's not the problem as it crashes during installation (as it did for my printer drivers) or living with it.

Mine is a P4 Medion PC.

Ungreat;6166179

I'm in pretty much the same boat.

It would probably be easier/cheaper to just replace the graphics card to be honest. You can get some basic ones for around £20 new.

The driver installation crash might be because the software was using Java. Although Java isn't exactly gaming, it can introduce a 2d aspect which will use the graphics card, if it is already running at an unsafe temp, it might be enough to just tip it over the edge.

Banned

Ungreat;6166179

I'm in pretty much the same boat.If I try to watch a Youtube video (or do … I'm in pretty much the same boat.If I try to watch a Youtube video (or do anything beyond browsing) the computer just switches off. I looked around at all the bits and found the graphics card has a little fan hanging off it. That puts me in the position of attempting to replace it and finding out it's not the problem as it crashes during installation (as it did for my printer drivers) or living with it.Mine is a P4 Medion PC.

What do you mean 'hanging off it'?

the fan should be seated on the card itself. Is the fan plugged in properly and spinning?

I have an Acer laptop with the same problem. It does get hot, but I'm not sure it's the fan - like others, I don't want to replace a part only to find it doesn't help. I've tried cleaning the dust out, and using external fans to help keep it cool - nothing works.

Maybe I should just dump it??

Jazz, if you take it to someone who is competent or if you feel confident yourself, most laptops have a pretty simple cooling loop with fins. Once you remove several screws you can gain access to these fins, usually they are coated with dust, simply brushing this away will make a dramatic difference.

For example:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images/acer-aspire-5100/laptop-disassembly-06.jpg
    With the shroud inplace, simply needs unscrewing.

http://www.raoulpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/100_2177.jpg
    With the shroud removed to gain access to fins.

Thanks. I'll try that. :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door56
      2. Cool kettle Bosch kettle cashback won't work. Help!22
      3. Question for electrician on bathroom fan45
      4. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?45

See more discussions