Groups

Computer help, black screen but only sometimes?

Can anyone suggest what gone wrong here?

Alienware 17, started yesterday to show a black screen. Drivers upto date, but it's not a driver issue as it's a black screen from boot. No logo or bios info shows.
    It only does it sometimes. It'll boot fine , work for an hour or more and then seems to switch off the screen? If it's connected to an extrnal monitor it's fine.
    I thought it might be a failed fan on the gpu, but I've taken all the fans out and checked and cleaned them and theyre all fine.
    The only clue I have is that when it goes black there's a soft clicking from somewhere near the top left.

Anone have an idea for a fix?

Thanks

10 Comments

So when it's black, does it still boot into Windows? Ie do you still hear the drive clicking away (assuming it's not ssd) or hear sounds?
    Possible ram issue? I've just fixed two dell's with ram issues but only presenting the symptoms randomly. Could still be graphics.. It's a heavily used chip/card on alienwares despite fans being clean etc
    Checked forums?

Banned

more than likely the screens backlight starting to fail, since its only sometimes and fine on ext

many videos on youtube for how to replace, and maybe even temp fixes

Original Poster

It works fine. Windows boots, the sounds play. I've connected to a monitor and it works like it should, just the laptop screen won't show anything? I've shone a tourch on it to see if the back lights gone, but there's nothing there. It's as if the screen been powered down?

Checked some dell/AW forums . There is a known issue with black screen on some 17 and 18 inch AW laptops, but once that problem starts it won't go away. This is only sometimes so isn't that.
    It's the ticking that has me confused! I can't work out what it can be?

Edited by: "steve1221" 26th Dec 2016

duff screen

I would actually advise to check the ribbon connection between the display and mobo before assuming the worst.

Dell normally have a diagnostics partition. I'd run a full long diagnosis and see if anything flags up. also make sure bios is up to date.

Sounds like overheating but due to the fact it works on a external monitor it's more likely that could be the inverter / back light. If you shine a light on the it screen next time it goes black and see if the picture is still there. If this is the case good chance it will be the inverter.

Original Poster

tri_94

Sounds like overheating but due to the fact it works on a external … Sounds like overheating but due to the fact it works on a external monitor it's more likely that could be the inverter / back light. If you shine a light on the it screen next time it goes black and see if the picture is still there. If this is the case good chance it will be the inverter.

I've tried the torch trick. There's nothing showing at all. It's like the screens powered down.

It can stay on for more than an hour, so I'd not think over heating unless the fans faulty and not running all the time?

Edited by: "steve1221" 26th Dec 2016

Original Poster

dozstanford

I would actually advise to check the ribbon connection between the … I would actually advise to check the ribbon connection between the display and mobo before assuming the worst.

It's working again at the moment, I'm typing on it now, it the ribbon was iffy I'd expect the the hammering of the keys to make it flicker? No??

Original Poster

It's only just under 18 months old. The Dell warrantee has expired but I understand the regs state that a unit should last a reasonable amount of time. I think think that less than 18 months for a laptop that cost over a grand isn't a reasonable amount of time.
    I had a keyboard replace about 8 months back and the tech guy told me that Dell would contact me about extend warrantee before the 12 months was up. They didn't, when I complained they basically said 'tough' and stop replying (like the Indian call centers do when you ask something they don't want to answer).

Anyone tried to get them to fix something outside their warrantee?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Important info for Ryanair customers1926
      2. What would be HELL to you?66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767277
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1526

See more discussions