Groups

Computer help please!

I have broadband with virgin media. Currently not using a router and modem connected straight to desktop pc. However, I have a problem. Internet works fine until computer goes into standby mode - then it stops (even though it shows that its working in the network connections) - so I have to restart the computer and intenet and it works. Its a bit of a pain! Anyone have any suggestions please?

10 Comments

have you checkeed the power management of your LAN/NIC card? May be it was set to be powered off when the PC goes to stand by

worth to check IMO

disable standby?

Banned

internet wont work when the pc is in standby!

Maybe your ISP has detected that you're no longer connected and taken back your IP address? Try opening up a command prompt and typing "IPCONFIG /RENEW" without the quotes.

Original Poster

csiman;5831657

internet wont work when the pc is in standby!

haha when i come out of standby!

Original Poster

nuabdi;5831362

have you checkeed the power management of your LAN/NIC card? May be it … have you checkeed the power management of your LAN/NIC card? May be it was set to be powered off when the PC goes to stand byworth to check IMO

any idea how to check that please?

bargainhunter2009;5832209

any idea how to check that please?

In XP
    Right click on the netwrok tray icon - Status - Properties - Configure - select Power Management tab

In Vista:
    Start - Control Panel - Device Manager - Netwrok adapter - select the device, right click and choose Properties - choose Power Management tab

Banned

try putting it to sleep rather than standby (unless they;re the same thing on xp!)

Turn the modem off and on..instead of rebooting the PC.

Banned

as a last resort

create a bat file what resets the network connection and save to the desktop and just run it each time you come out of standby

call it something like resetwork.bat

and type the following into the file and save it

netsh int ip reset
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early11
      2. SCS add ons... are they worth it??22
      3. Wix Build Website Question, Domain transfer?34
      4. What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.913

See more discussions