Groups
    EXPIRED

COMPUTER HELP PLEASE!!!!!

I have recently installed a new harddrive on my windows xp desktop. since then the computer randomly desides not to detect the harddrive and only detects my 2 dvd drives, and comes up with an error message, verifying DMI pool data........
    boot from cd:
    boot from cd:
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. Normally when the computer starts up it states that the harddrive and 2 dvd drives have been detected, but when it will not start, it does not mention the harddrive only the 2 dvd drives. does anyone know how I sort this problem or even why it is doing this. Rep for any help, many thanks

14 Comments

You need to alter you boot sequence in the bios, to your hard drive with the operating system on.

It's basically attempting to load a operating system, on a hard drive with no operating system on.

But if your hard drive is not detected at all in the bios, it could be a dead drive or a faulty controller.

Sounds like the hard drives are not spinning up and registering in time - possibly they are drawing too much power. Sometimes in bios there is an option to stagger hard drive booting, or alternatively there is a 'quick boot' option - enabling the former and disabling the latter may help...

Are you saying it doesnt do this all the time and that sometimes it starts OK?. It could be something as simple as a loose cable is this a SATA drive?.If so have you tried another cable and/or plugging it into a different socket on the Mobo,

Original Poster

Thanks sven, nothing happens when I press and hold F8 when trying to start, but when I hold F9 and select hard disk to boot first and press enter, it then gives me another screen asking me to select a boot first device and the only option is- "bootable add-in cards". I have no other choice but to accept this option, but keeps coming back with the same old error message- disc boot error...ect. Any other ideas? thanks

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6136769

Are you saying it doesnt do this all the time and that sometimes it … Are you saying it doesnt do this all the time and that sometimes it starts OK?. It could be something as simple as a loose cable is this a SATA drive?.If so have you tried another cable and/or plugging it into a different socket on the Mobo,

Does not do it every time only randomly.Yes it is a SATA drive and I have checked all the cables are plugged in properly. I do not have an other cable to try but have tried a different socket but still does not work.

Have you installed a Graphics card recently or anything that could be overloading the PSu,

You need to go into the bios, it sounds like you are going via a on-board raid option.

It will be something like pressing delete key at the start.

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6136929

Have you installed a Graphics card recently or anything that could be … Have you installed a Graphics card recently or anything that could be overloading the PSu,

No, the old harddrive started clicking and freezing, so I put in a new harddrive and used a programme called ghost to copy the complete harddrive to the new one before the old harddrive crashed for good. Other then that nothing else has has changed, as I say most times it starts no problems then sometimes does this, like now it will not start up at all.

Original Poster

sven256;6136976

You need to go into the bios, it sounds like you are going via a … You need to go into the bios, it sounds like you are going via a on-board raid option.It will be something like pressing delete key at the start.

I have pressed delet key and it comes up with a bios cmos setup utility, I pressed on advanced bios features, then boot sequence and floppy setup and then hard disk boot priory and it only comes up with bootable add-in cards, no harddrive. further down the screen it says first boot device I have set this to harddrive, but still no luck. Cannot see anything about raid. Am I going into the wrong menu?

JAYKAY72;6137104

I have pressed delet key and it comes up with a bios cmos setup utility, … I have pressed delet key and it comes up with a bios cmos setup utility, I pressed on advanced bios features, then boot sequence and floppy setup and then hard disk boot priory and it only comes up with bootable add-in cards, no harddrive. further down the screen it says first boot device I have set this to harddrive, but still no luck. Cannot see anything about raid. Am I going into the wrong menu?

I would of thought you are in the correct place there. Does the hard drive get detected in the bios?
    Also try plugging the hard disk into another sata port.

It could be that the hard drive is dying or it could even be your PSU which may have killed your other hard drive,What PSU do you have ?.

Sounds to me like it is a Power or Sata Cable related problem.

Any chance you can tell us exactly how the drives are wired up, are you using converters? (molex-to-sata-power)
    What specification is the Power Supply?
    Have you tried changing the power cables around?
    Have you tried clearing the CMOS and adding each device seperately, checking the BIOS, then saving. Repeating this process for each device until you find the problem drive/cable?
    Are both hard drives fed power off the same cable?
    Are the DVD drive(s) SATA and are they fed off a different power cable to the HDDs?

Original Poster

Thanks for all your help, I have disconnected all the cables to the dvd drives and moved the harddrive sata cable to another socket. This has seemed to do the trick, have shut down and restarted the computer a few times now with no problems. Thanks again for all your help guy's would never have solved this with out you. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

PhearFactor;6138126

Sounds to me like it is a Power or Sata Cable related problem. Any chance … Sounds to me like it is a Power or Sata Cable related problem. Any chance you can tell us exactly how the drives are wired up, are you using converters? (molex-to-sata-power)What specification is the Power Supply?Have you tried changing the power cables around?Have you tried clearing the CMOS and adding each device seperately, checking the BIOS, then saving. Repeating this process for each device until you find the problem drive/cable?Are both hard drives fed power off the same cable? Are the DVD drive(s) SATA and are they fed off a different power cable to the HDDs?

Lol, I'm female I don't do technical stuff, you blow my mind with all this info. Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated, rep added.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 3911
      4. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11

See more discussions