Groups

Computer help please..thinking of buying a external HDD but dont know how they work

Hi
    As well as two up to date laptops in the house we have an older but still useful computer. This is used daily by myself but is now running very slow. i have cleaned it etc but it is simply pretty full up. We have itunes on it as well as all our photos. Itunes has alot of videos etc for the kids so takes up alot of memory.
    Someone has suggested I get an external HDD as i do not want to replace the computer as we have the two good laptops. I presume this would be the most economical solution.
    Not sure how this would work. Would i be able to put the whole of the itunes program on it rather than the main computer and then just plug in when we want to use itunes.
    Does anyone do this already. I know alot of people use the external HDD's as back up but I am thinking of just transfering all the itunes and photo programs on so that there will be alot of free space on the main computer. Would this work or am I not understanding what these external HDD's are for.
    Also if itunes was on the external HDD would we then be able to just plug it in to a laptop if we wanted and transfer data etc to our ipods that way.
    Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it.

5 Comments

You can do all that yes, only question would be is the old computer using USB 2.0? It probably is but need to be sure or the external HDD will be slooooooooooooooow, trust me.

Original Poster

Thanks would you know how i find out. i use the usb plug in bit for my ipod, camcorder etc.

Goofey's Girl;4425466

Thanks would you know how i find out. i use the usb plug in bit for my … Thanks would you know how i find out. i use the usb plug in bit for my ipod, camcorder etc.

Chances are it defo is USB 2.0 if it's less than say 3 years old. Google the make and model of your PC and you should be able to see the spec easily.

Re iTunes - you could put the music on the ext HDD ok but keep the iTunes program on your PC, you have nothing to gain by moving the program. If it's practical, I would put the phots on the ext HDD, leave the tunes on your PC for performance reasons. You could also copy them to a laptop so you have 2 copies in case of a failure. Treat the ext HDD like a big floppy. When you connect it, it will appear as e.g. drive H:\ or G:\ and you can just drag and drop files from My Computer or Windows Explorer.

If you know a geek, you could maybe get another hard disk put inside the PC - this may be a cheaper and neater solution

Good luck

Alfonse;4425381

You can do all that yes, only question would be is the old computer using … You can do all that yes, only question would be is the old computer using USB 2.0? It probably is but need to be sure or the external HDD will be slooooooooooooooow, trust me.

to check if it's USB 2.0 take a look here
    ]http//ww…htm

One further point when buyng an external drive, there are two types.
    One is described as an external drive and sometimes called a desktop drive, this needs a power supply included with the drive.
    The other is described as portable, it's usually smaller and a little more expensive but doesn't need a power supply.
    Choose which one suits you.

Original Poster

Thanks guys thats really useful.

I will keep the itunes program on the computer like you suggested and just store all the stuff in the external one as well as all the photos.

Think i prefer the sound of the portable type the best but will start looking at different prices.

Thanks for all your help. Wish i did know a computer geek. Lets face it they are never going to be without friends. Only kidding.

Thanks for all your help.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846216
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)49395
      3. Find out how good your GP surgery is1111
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism46

See more discussions