Groups
    EXPIRED

Computer / LCD connection question

Please excuse me for being a complete tehnical moron, but is there a way you can connect a PC to an LCD TV to view movies saved on the PC?

Is it just one cable required, and if so, could someone recommend one?

Many thanks

6 Comments

Couple of ways,:

1. If your LCD has a VGA connection, which is a 15 pin port on the TV (3 rows of 5 holes), then you can use a monitor cable with the same connections either end and connect it that way.

For sound you will probably need a cable with a male 3.5 mm jack on either end.

2. If your PC has a TV-Out connection, then this usually will be an S-Video connection, but some graphics cards include a converter to change this to the yellow from an RGB connection.

For sound, you'd need a 3.5mm to white and red phono connection leads
    Hope this helps

Num

Original Poster

numanoids;3674400

Couple of ways,:1. If your LCD has a VGA connection, which is a 15 pin … Couple of ways,:1. If your LCD has a VGA connection, which is a 15 pin port on the TV (3 rows of 5 holes), then you can use a monitor cable with the same connections either end and connect it that way.For sound you will probably need a cable with a male 3.5 mm jack on either end.2. If your PC has a TV-Out connection, then this usually will be an S-Video connection, but some graphics cards include a converter to change this to the yellow from an RGB connection. For sound, you'd need a 3.5mm to white and red phono connection leadsHope this helpsNum

Blimey, just given me a migrane reading that! But you sound like you know what your talking about, many thanks!!

vga or a dvi

Also, although I have never done it....

If you PC or laptop has a HDMI out socket and your TV a HDMI in socket I believe you can connect your PC or laptop to the TV that way.

Also, if you PC has a DVI socket and your TV a HDMI socket you can buy a "DVI to HDMI" cable and use that.

I did a search in Google on "connecting laptop to the TV" (without quotes) and found a few sites, like this one:

online-tech-tips.com/com…tv/

Check ]this thread out mate - very useful

It's perfectly possible, but how to do it depends on which sockets your PC and TV has. With the change from analogue CRT to digital LCD and, on the TV side, from SD to HD in recent years new connections have been needed on both ends and it hasn't been long enough that there's a single standard.

The best way is if both your PC and TV have HDMI or DisplayPort sockets. Then you just need a cable of that type and you'll get both sound and video through.

DVI, VGA and Component (RGB) should all give you a good picture if your LCD TV is HD or 'HD Ready' but you'll need a seperate optical cable or 3-4 (depending on whether you've got 5.1 or 7.1) 3.5mm cables for sound.

S-video and composite should only be the last resort since neither PCs nor HD TVs work that well at the low resolution they provide.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523460
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …285994
      3. What is there free to do in your town?611
      4. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp34

See more discussions