computer 'low memory' what does it mean?

11 replies
Found 1st Dec 2008
My computer keeps flashing up, trying to close down programmes I have open as I have 'low memory' or something.

What does it mean and how can I increase the memory or whatever.

Acer laptop aspire 7000.

Thanks

1. Misc
  2. RAM
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. RAM
11 Comments

it means the amount of RAM (random access memory) available to your computer is very low ....if you remove some programs you dont need or use it should bring the ram up a bit and also dont have too many things running at the same time. also try doing a defragmentation check that can sometimes help and a disc clean up .... delete all cookies and files ... err trying to think of anything else xx

down the bottom of your screen on the right there is the tray ... if there is anything running in that that you dont need open right click on it and close the program x

by the way im just a mum this is only what i think it is hunny

Original Poster

how do i delete cookies? what does that mean?
xx

curvy_chicka;3619532

how do i delete cookies? what does that mean?xx

your computer stores cookies and files from internet sites you have visited ... cookies are small datagrams that let a site know you have visited and if you return .... well thats kinda the basic im a mum not a computer bofin lol

you dont need all these cookies and temporary internet files so deleting them should help

if your using Internet explorer go up to the top and click on tools ... the down to options ... and delete ... it will take you through deleting files and cookies and stuff ... i do mine every other day as it can slow your pc down if you dont x

Did the message say "Your system is low on virtual memory" ?

Original Poster

I dont remember, what are the implications if it did?

curvy_chicka;3619545

I dont remember, what are the implications if it did?

Good article here that will help you sort it out:

pcmag.com/art…asp

Original Poster

nicki3668;3619534

your computer stores cookies and files from internet sites you have … your computer stores cookies and files from internet sites you have visited ... cookies are small datagrams that let a site know you have visited and if you return .... well thats kinda the basic im a mum not a computer bofin lol you dont need all these cookies and temporary internet files so deleting them should help if your using Internet explorer go up to the top and click on tools ... the down to options ... and delete ... it will take you through deleting files and cookies and stuff ... i do mine every other day as it can slow your pc down if you dont x

Rep for your help! thanks supermum!
xx

Original Poster

PhearFactor;3619546

Good article here that will help you sort it … Good article here that will help you sort it out:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2089076,00.asp

Fantastic, thanks rep to you too.
x

PhearFactor;3619546

Good article here that will help you sort it … Good article here that will help you sort it out:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2089076,00.asp

nice to see you hangin around again:)

Good advice, ty :thumbsup:

Try increasing your swap file size....
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition66713
    2. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …43
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers44

See more discussions