Computer purchase advice

Folks, I've always valued HUKD's members advice.
Thinking of purchasing ACER Aspire C24-760 23.8" All-in-One PC at Currys, so seeking any advice or tips.

Thanks.

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

16 Comments

You need to let us know what ur using if for...
4K gaming? Twitch Streaming? Music Production? General Internet use.. etc etc

The Acer PC looks good but as Dawsy said we need to know what you are using it for

Build your own . Much more bang for your buck ...

I have never understood all in one units. If the screen fails ........

Tip 1 - Don't buy from Currys!

Original Poster

Thanks for the early replies. I don't game, so browsing, emails, presenations,music, photos.
I'm not very techy so self build is not an option.

I don't have this model, but have had a Dell XPS One for about nine years which I found via HUKD. Now running W10 in my daughters room. Still going very strong, bearing in mind just used for much what you've mentioned, general use. Obviously they have pros and cons, the pros being very compact and attractive.

With all the information available online these days and with how streamlined component manufacturers are now making part assembly, building a PC is a really simple thing to do, and it's gonna let you know all of your internals so that if you should want to upgrade, or if something should go wrong, you're going to have a good chance at being able to sort these things out yourself.

For what you're looking to do, you don't need a very high end build at all. I probably wouldn't go for the PC you're looking at though, it would be a nightmare to deal with if something goes wrong.

Okay, for an All in one, it sounds like it would do what you need. The only downside would be if the screen fails you possibly have to scrap the whole machine.. SO unless you are happy to take the chance that in 3 years the screen could go and it's a full replacement or you get some form of extended warranty.
John Lewis could be the better place to look at if they do 3 year warrantys. Other options are looking for other brands that offer a longer warranty. Personally I know HP products are very goof quality. I would chose HP over Dell / IBM / Lenovo / Acer

Also http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACER-Aspire-C24-760-23-8-All-in-One-PC-With-built-in-WiFi-Windows-10-Gold-/112243860714

Via ebay its £499.99 (Saving £50)

NI User

Thanks for the early replies. I don't game, so browsing, emails, … Thanks for the early replies. I don't game, so browsing, emails, presenations,music, photos.I'm not very techy so self build is not an option.

The PC is perfectly fine for what you want, the main issue with it will be that tiny 128GB SSD is likely to result in low space nagging a couple of years down the line, a 240GB model is better.

It's unlikely to compare in quality and speed to a screen and base unit bought separately, but that's true for all in ones in general. They're compromises to look good.

The PC is perfectly fine for what you want, the main issue with it will be that tiny 128GB SSD is likely to result in low space nagging a couple of years down the line, a 240GB model is better.

It's unlikely to compare in quality and speed to a screen and base unit bought separately, but that's true for all in ones in general. They're compromises to look good.

It has a 1tb drive as well as the ssd

scrumpypaul

It has a 1tb drive as well as the ssd

All that means is that you can move the stuff rather than delete it when you run low on space.

NI User

Thanks for the early replies. I don't game, so browsing, emails, … Thanks for the early replies. I don't game, so browsing, emails, presenations,music, photos.I'm not very techy so self build is not an option.

Have a look here uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/

It's really easy . Like lego

ACER = NO
All in one PC = NO

I would rather used paper a pen.

Original Poster

Folks, thanks for all the advice. I first seen this machine on Which, that give it 72% and a best buy! So when it came down from £749 to £549 at Curry's I though it might be worth considering. (though doubt they sold many at £749). My current Acer laptop, that I got in 2011 is still working, so I'll probably get this machine.Thanks for all the replies. #loveHUKD

EndlessWaves

All that means is that you can move the stuff rather than delete it when … All that means is that you can move the stuff rather than delete it when you run low on space.

Not really - most users would configure the PC to have the SSD as a boot drive and for demanding stuff and the hard drive for basic storage. This PC has no shortage of space.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)11
    2. Electricity11
    3. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    4. Which Camera?!!!22

See more discussions