Computer questions please

Posted 7th Apr
Hi I am trying to help a girl sort out a laptop so that she can play Sims 4.
(No what the hell comments - each family to their own please)

She has purchased the key and downloaded Origin, now the fun begins.

After tidying up her computer files she only has something like 6GB free and the laptop (Lenovo) has a maximum of 30 GB. (running Windows 10).

Question 1) Would it be possible to just install a larger size hard drive or is it too old to even bother purchasing one?

She then moved to her mother's laptop. She has the space to download the game BUT the laptop is so so slow. Also running Windows 7.
Question 2) Can you still upgrade a Win 7 laptop to Win 10 for free?

Question 3) Whats the easiest way to advise her to delete all the old files and cookies of the mothers laptop? (Mother has given permission).

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
@sarden84 may be able to help you here.
Could you just pop a microSD in ? If her Mothers laptop runs really slow I don't think I would bother with it
*Also - make sure the laptop specs are sufficient enough to actually run the game first
Edited by: "jco83" 7th Apr
The sims 4 needs around 20gb so you will struggle on the Win 10 machine if it only has 30gb total. Yes, you can purchase a new HDD (or SSD which would be more beneficial) but you then have to either clone the existing drive or install the new drive with a fresh Win 10 copy and then transfer data from the old drive - in which case you might then need a caddy for the 'old' drive so you can connect.

As to the other "Mother" laptop - perhaps; even with more space; it's still too slow to meet the games minimum requirements? See below:

pcgamebenchmark.com/the…nts

Even freeing up space might not be enough to make the computer play the game sufficiently.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 7th Apr
deleted341252
jco8307/04/2020 12:00

Could you just pop a microSD in ? If her Mothers laptop runs really …Could you just pop a microSD in ? If her Mothers laptop runs really slow I don't think I would bother with it *Also - make sure the laptop specs are sufficient enough to actually run the game first

THink they are so old they wont even have a mircoSD slot but will check that just in case.
Following on from what the above guy said... which is great advice.

Put it on an external hdd the game.

It's only sims lol! As long as the rest meets requirements.. prob the cheapest method.
You could buy an external HDD/SSD and move as much 'stuff' of the Win 10 machine but even then, a 'minimum' Win 10 install will use around 16-20gb - with a 64bit machine needing 40gb recommended space.

You need to consider the first option - being to fit (or have fitted) a larger drive and re-install Win 10.

Take a gander at mymemory.co.uk for very reasonably priced SSD's. You can subscribe to get a discount code also. 120gb for around £20 but I would recommend a slightly larger one (240gb) for future-proofing.
Btw what's the model of the laptop? As u might not be able to change the storage if it is what I think it is.
Edited by: "sarden84" 7th Apr
You can get a 120gb ssd for less than £20 just swap drives out. could you not plug in an external drive, if you have one kicking around...
deleted341252
Tha
Phsycronix07/04/2020 12:00

The sims 4 needs around 20gb so you will struggle on the Win 10 machine if …The sims 4 needs around 20gb so you will struggle on the Win 10 machine if it only has 30gb total. Yes, you can purchase a new HDD (or SSD which would be more beneficial) but you then have to either clone the existing drive or install the new drive with a fresh Win 10 copy and then transfer data from the old drive - in which case you might then need a caddy for the 'old' drive so you can connect.As to the other "Mother" laptop - perhaps; even with more space; it's still to slow to meet the games minimum requirements? See below:https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/the-sims-4-system-requirementsEven freeing up space might not be enough to make the computer play the game sufficiently.

Thanks have sent link to test the laptop.
deleted341252
Bargainhead07/04/2020 12:10

You can get a 120gb ssd for less than £20 just swap drives out. could you …You can get a 120gb ssd for less than £20 just swap drives out. could you not plug in an external drive, if you have one kicking around...

I did think External myself but the girls lives between two parents so bit risky carrying external drive every where.
What happened to her Surface Pro 4, googley2? You asked about Sims 4 way back and said she played it on that?
If the first only has that amount of storage, it's likely to be the Lenovo equivalent to an HP Stream, or low end Chromebook. Or very old. The performance won't be great, and it's likely that storage might be soldered on.
deleted34125207/04/2020 12:12

I did think External myself but the girls lives between two parents so bit …I did think External myself but the girls lives between two parents so bit risky carrying external drive every where.

An SSD is a solid state drive. You could play "catch" with it and it won't take ANY damage - figuratively speaking! They are very hardy so; in a caddy; will take punishment in a bag etc.
alg07/04/2020 12:13

If the first only has that amount of storage, it's likely to be the Lenovo …If the first only has that amount of storage, it's likely to be the Lenovo equivalent to an HP Stream, or low end Chromebook. Or very old. The performance won't be great, and it's likely that storage might be soldered on.

That what I werw thinking soldered on..
deleted34125207/04/2020 12:12

I did think External myself but the girls lives between two parents so bit …I did think External myself but the girls lives between two parents so bit risky carrying external drive every where.

Just put it in laptop bag, it won’t get lost, or a128gb usb drive, small and light..
1) Depends on the laptop model. However, these sorts of ultra budget disposable machines typically even remove the storage interface to save the last little bit of money, so I wouldn't expect it to be changable.

2) Yup, just grab the windows 10 installer from the Microsoft website and it'll accept the Windows 7 key as valid (if it asks for it at all).

3) The Windows 10 installer should include the option to wipe the machine. If not the Windows 10 has a function called Reset which does it.

Also, bear in mind those system requirement test sites are often wildly inaccurate so just because it claims it's incompatible doesn't mean it is.
deleted341252
Phsycronix07/04/2020 12:12

What happened to her Surface Pro 4, googley2? You asked about Sims 4 way …What happened to her Surface Pro 4, googley2? You asked about Sims 4 way back and said she played it on that?

That was my daughters old laptop, shes updated to an i7 gaming laptop now. This is for her friend.
deleted34125207/04/2020 13:45

That was my daughters old laptop, shes updated to an i7 gaming laptop now. …That was my daughters old laptop, shes updated to an i7 gaming laptop now. This is for her friend.

My bad. I remembered your post and assumed it was your daughter! Didn't note the first line that stated "a girl."

Like others have mentioned, if you can get the model of the Lenovo it might help decipher if it can be upgraded.
deleted341252
My God if you have a memory like that can you share it with me???? I struggle to remember last week - thats amazing.

I have heard all my daughters stories of Sims, my kids got taken into care, the dog starved to death, I am pregnant with twins, someone stole my house etc etc. Quite funny sometimes.

Phsycronix07/04/2020 13:48

My bad. I remembered your post and assumed it was your daughter! Didn't …My bad. I remembered your post and assumed it was your daughter! Didn't note the first line that stated "a girl."Like others have mentioned, if you can get the model of the Lenovo it might help decipher if it can be upgraded.

deleted341252
The girls laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 100S-11 - BOR2
Date 25-04-2016 (4 years old)]
  • CPU: 1.33 GHz quad-core Intel Atom Z3735F.
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Bay Trail)
  • RAM: 2GB.
  • Storage: 32GB eMMC.
  • Screen: 11.6-inch, 1,366 x 768 matte TN LED display.
  • Ports: 2 x USB 2.0, HDMI-out, micro SD, audio combo jack.
  • Connectivity: 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 (Low Energy

I would say new laptop...

What's the spec of her mum laptop?
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 7th Apr
deleted341252
Cisco06060607/04/2020 15:07

CPU: 1.33 GHz quad-core Intel Atom Z3735F.Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Bay …CPU: 1.33 GHz quad-core Intel Atom Z3735F.Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Bay Trail)RAM: 2GB.Storage: 32GB eMMC.Screen: 11.6-inch, 1,366 x 768 matte TN LED display.Ports: 2 x USB 2.0, HDMI-out, micro SD, audio combo jack.Connectivity: 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 (Low EnergyI would say new laptop...What's the spec of her mum laptop?

Mums is Asus X53U(2011)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions