Computer RAM...Is it a good price?

16 replies
Found 11th Mar 2009
Hey People,

Many Thanks to those who replied in regards to the fitment of the RAM! However I am now looking for the best price for the following. I have so far found £35.

1GB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200 memory module
CT12864Z40B

* Module Size: 1GB
* Package: 184-pin DIMM
* Feature: DDR PC3200
* Specs: DDR PC3200 CL=3 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 128Meg x 64

Which is £35 from the Crucial site....Is this a good price?

16 Comments

do you know which motherboard you own?

If you do look up which memory types are compatible with your motherboard and you may find theirs memory cheaper, better.

Original Poster

# 184-pin DIMM Banking: 2 (2 banks of 1)
# Chipset: Intel 848P
# Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
# Graphics Support: AGP 8X
# Max Component Density: 1024
# Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 2048MB
# USB Support: 2.x Compliant

Thats the spec of the motherboard, Packard Bell Palomarpl motherboard (MS-6763)

Yes people, I know Packard Bell are of very high quality lol!

That stick you put in should have worked.

Original Poster

That's what I thought! But it didn't, tried it twice, so thought it was either defective or not the right one!

have you tried the other slot?

SkippyDoo;4611965

# 184-pin DIMM Banking: 2 (2 banks of 1)# Chipset: Intel 848P# Error … # 184-pin DIMM Banking: 2 (2 banks of 1)# Chipset: Intel 848P# Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only# Graphics Support: AGP 8X# Max Component Density: 1024# Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 2048MB# USB Support: 2.x CompliantThats the spec of the motherboard, Packard Bell Palomarpl motherboard (MS-6763)Yes people, I know Packard Bell are of very high quality lol!

Ah, Packard Bell aren't so bad. They're no different to any other similar company, and that motherboard is produced by MSI, who arent too bad.

Regarding the RAM problem though, first thing to check is that it's actually installed properly. Pull it out, push it in again, then try again in the other slot. There's a lot of contacts on these modules, so there's a lot of room for error. Try again, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Original Poster

Hey
Thanks for the replies people!

Well, I didn't try that other slot as they had the 512MB DDR stick, so didn't even think of removing it! :oops:

Well I'm going to order the new one and try that.....is £35 worth it..or can I get it much cheaper?

REP IN STORE lol :-D

Try the 1gb in the slot that has the 512 then put the 512 in slot 2!

Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the advice..

However anyone know where I can get the best price? Any recommendations? :thumbsup:

Original Poster

pcworld.co.uk/mar…ull

Found them at PCworld...However is PNY better than Integral?

£35 is a rip off, it used to be £15 on Play, but has shot up there as well.

There must be somewhere that still sells a 1GB PC3200 for less than £20

You can get 4GB of DDR2 for £35. Maybe pick up a cheap motherboard and processor that supports DDR2

Original Poster

Thanks for the reply mate....Thats true but to be honest I just thought upgrade the memory rather than fgo through the hassle....lol

Its £29.99 on pcworld...PNY or the integral brand is slightly cheaper.

Trust me the DDR costs alot more than DDR2 these days chepest place you can get DDR1 from is [url]www.7dayshop.com[/url] or ebay...oh and you want to buy matching pairs really

Original Poster

Thanks people, Think I'm going to buy the 1gb DDR from PCworld for £29...

guess it isn't too bad but Thanks for giving me advice....Many Thanks!

SkippyDoo;4615845

Thanks people, Think I'm going to buy the 1gb DDR from PCworld for … Thanks people, Think I'm going to buy the 1gb DDR from PCworld for £29...guess it isn't too bad but Thanks for giving me advice....Many Thanks!

oh god dont do it save your self £10 get it from 7dayshop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original Poster

Sorted...Thanks people...Have repped
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Suggest tablet replacement for a Lenovo Yoga 2 8.034
    2. Xbox Newbie35
    3. Building a PC Need Help!611
    4. School shoes - with lights11

See more discussions