Groups

Computer security

Hi,

What are the best internet/computer security about nowadays?

Im talking,

Anti virus
    Malware
    Spyware
    Adware

and whatever else.

Thanks

9 Comments

I'd recommend Malwarebytes as a freebie program. I think that just does spyware & adware - not traditional viruses (trojans, etc) -- but i'm not 100% sure. It's well worth having though, as a secondary tool which you run occasionally as well as having an anti-virus turned on all the time.

As for anti-viruses, everyone has their favourite. There's no way this thread will result in people universally recommending one product.
    Some people are happy with their free product, some prefer to pay a bit of cash and get a commercial one.
    Popular ones (which have a free version):
    Avast
    AVG
    Antivir (maybe? don't know how popular this is...)

Paid-for ones:
    Kaspersky (what I use - very happy with it and can be had for ~£5 off of eBay or at the high street store "The Works" [they seem to have deals on it all the time])
    Panda (a friend uses this - can't vouch for it myself)
    Norton (don't think anyone will be recommending this. It's expensive and slows your computer down massively).
    Mcafee (expensive and also a resource hog)

It'd be handy to know your computer specs as that'll dictate if you need an anti-virus that is particularly light on resources or whether you've got enough to cover the cost of running something more 'bloated')

oh, NOD32 is also a popular antivirus which is about £30 iirc and light on resources. Often cited as "the best" paid for antivirus.

Banned

Abstinence 2010 professional.

Original Poster

oldmanhouse;8712497

I'd recommend Malwarebytes as a freebie program. I think that just does … I'd recommend Malwarebytes as a freebie program. I think that just does spyware & adware - not traditional viruses (trojans, etc) -- but i'm not 100% sure. It's well worth having though, as a secondary tool which you run occasionally as well as having an anti-virus turned on all the time.As for anti-viruses, everyone has their favourite. There's no way this thread will result in people universally recommending one product. Some people are happy with their free product, some prefer to pay a bit of cash and get a commercial one.Popular ones (which have a free version):AvastAVGAntivir (maybe? don't know how popular this is...)Paid-for ones:Kaspersky (what I use - very happy with it and can be had for ~£5 off of eBay or at the high street store "The Works" [they seem to have deals on it all the time])Panda (a friend uses this - can't vouch for it myself)Norton (don't think anyone will be recommending this. It's expensive and slows your computer down massively).Mcafee (expensive and also a resource hog)It'd be handy to know your computer specs as that'll dictate if you need an anti-virus that is particularly light on resources or whether you've got enough to cover the cost of running something more 'bloated')oh, NOD32 is also a popular antivirus which is about £30 iirc and light on resources. Often cited as "the best" paid for antivirus.

Thanks for this...

I may give Avast or Nod32 a go and see what they like..

Its just that my computer has been crashing alot recently.

Dcx - You use this?

If I were you id use Avast! as your anti virus constantly running to check for viruses, automatically terminates connection to site when one is connected.

Alongside that I do weekly scans with malwarebytes just to check for anythnig that may have got through but never run two anti virus at once.

Banned

It could be crashing due to the processor over heating....open it up and give the insides a good clean.

Kaspersky and Malwarebytes get my vote.

Kaspersky is free if you bank with Barclays.

Avast is good too imo.

Original Poster

slamdunkin;8712582

It could be crashing due to the processor over heating....open it up and … It could be crashing due to the processor over heating....open it up and give the insides a good clean.

Will do that tonight...

Thanks

Original Poster

Just cleaned it...so much dust.

Does seem to be running better but willstill get some anti virus software and that.

Thanks

Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty good as a base AV, and it's free.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best tablet for 100-150? Quid11
      2. Glazing Clay Pots for Drinking22
      3. How are Very for pre-orders ?33
      4. Furniture Sliders45

See more discussions